Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smuth10

Reaction score
I have been wanting to make this for a while and could not find the Beersmith file for the recipe. I created the BS file from the BYO Mag recipe and I thought I would post it out here for those that might be interested. The numbers in BS are off from what the recipe says, but that has been my experience with BS. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or what.

I plan on giving it a try tomorrow. For those of you that may have already tried this one please post your results.

View attachment DFH90Min.bsm

i used the 60 and 90 minute recipes to create what i thought would be close to the 75 minute IPA with a higher OG and a little hoppier.

my recipe was:

2lb 4oz maris otter
14lb pilsen
8 oz. C20
14oz. amber malt (i made this by cooking some pale malt for around 45 minutes...or maybe longer, i cooked it until the color was about like some victory malt).

i hopped with mostly columbus, a bit of amarillo and centennial, mixed up in a container...total hops was more than either the 60 or 90 minute recipe called for.

boiled 90 minutes total, started hopping with 75 minutes left. i think a teaspoon of hops was about .25oz so i added that every 8 minutes or so, then doubled up that addition at ~15 minutes and 5 minutes. added the rest of the hops at flameout which was maybe 1.5 oz.

OG was about 1.088 (i ranoff a total of 7.5 gallons and ended up with 6 gallons in the fermenter).
pitched very large yeast slurry
after 5 days it was down to 1.026 with still a small amount of krausen floating on top.
hope it gets down to about 1.018

dry hopped with 1.5 oz amarillo and 2oz columbus

i used the 60 and 90 minute recipes to create what i thought would be close to the 75 minute IPA with a higher OG and a little hoppier.

my recipe was:

2lb 4oz maris otter
14lb pilsen
8 oz. C20
14oz. amber malt (i made this by cooking some pale malt for around 45 minutes...or maybe longer, i cooked it until the color was about like some victory malt).

i hopped with mostly columbus, a bit of amarillo and centennial, mixed up in a container...total hops was more than either the 60 or 90 minute recipe called for.

boiled 90 minutes total, started hopping with 75 minutes left. i think a teaspoon of hops was about .25oz so i added that every 8 minutes or so, then doubled up that addition at ~15 minutes and 5 minutes. added the rest of the hops at flameout which was maybe 1.5 oz.

OG was about 1.088 (i ranoff a total of 7.5 gallons and ended up with 6 gallons in the fermenter).
pitched very large yeast slurry
after 5 days it was down to 1.026 with still a small amount of krausen floating on top.
hope it gets down to about 1.018

dry hopped with 1.5 oz amarillo and 2oz columbus

just bottled this last night.
color was a little lighter than 90minute IPA, tasted nice and clean and pretty sweet like 90m.
3weeks in primary and it went down to 1.018
excited to see how this turns out.

I have had this on tap now for a couple of weeks and it is pretty much spot on to the original. Just fantastic if you are a DFH fan. The hops are a little too strong at first, but I think it just needs to age a little while. I will be making a second batch very soon.

I could only make a 2.5 gallon batch with my equipment and I polished it off in a few days. This was great. Thanks!

Have you thought about bottle conditioning with maple syrup? I'm thinking of doing 5 gal of 90, 5 gl of 60, blending, then dry hopping both, and bottling 5, then kegging 5.

Thoughts?

Back