First crap batch :( (maybe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlifeisANDY

Reaction score
I brewed a half batch (2.5g) of all grain Dogfish Head 60 min. clone about a week ago. The yeast fermented out fairly quickly, but I did have an airlock blow out early on into fermentation (which I think may have led to this batch being borked). I checked my SG today and it was sitting pretty at 1.012. I wasn't planning on doing anything; I'm still letting it sit in primary for another few weeks, but I tasted my sample and there was something way, way off. I really don't know how to describe it. I've had plenty of wort samples around this same time in primary, and they have at least tasted like beer. This... this was something else. I don't know what it could be. Anyone have any ideas? Is my batch likely ruined? There's no infection that I can see, but there is something wayyyyyy off with how it should taste right now.

I don't know - it was really weird - probably closest to that "skunked beer" taste. It is so hard to describe.

Only thing that comes to mind would be light shock, from what you are describing. Are you protecting you're carboys from light permeating through them? Me, I place heavy duty trash bags over the carboys during all phases of fermentation. But, I say RDWHAHB. Now get back to brewing my fellow Masshole. ;)

Only thing that comes to mind would be light shock, from what you are describing. Are you protecting you're carboys from light permeating through them? Me, I place heavy duty trash bags over the carboys during all phases of fermentation. But, I say RDWHAHB. Now get back to brewing my fellow Masshole. ;)

Yeah, it's in a dark closet. Oh well, I'm going to give it a couple weeks and bottle it anyway. I guess I'll brew another batch to have something for when my APA runs out :)

Did you use Maris Otter or another kinda toasty malt as the base?? I remember my first AG was a MO/Fuggles smash and I got the same "skunky" flavor from it in hydro samples. I guess I just wasn't familiar with the flavor. Once carbed and cooled though, it was amazing. RDWHAHB.

I used 1/2 a pound of Amber malt, and the rest was US 2-Row.

Nottingham yeast, Warrior, Amarillo, and Simcoe hops. Efficiency was around 65%.

Is the flavor "skunky", or maybe kind of "catty"? I have heard Simcoe hops can have that kind of flavor/aroma. Like cat pee.

What temp are you fermenting at? Notty can throw off some nasty odors/flavors at higher temps, especially early on in the fermentation. I've found the only way to get notty to ferment clean is at really low temps, close to ~60F.

Back