Favorite Russian Imperial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I don't know some great RIS's, but I don't think they're available out there. I know you won't find Black Panther. Old Rasputin might be available. Maybe Yeti or Big Black Bear? I don't know East Coast beers.

Brewer's Best Russian Imperial Stout with 3/4 lb corn sugar and 1/3 lb lactose added. ;)

It may be a kit brew but I vowed to keep it in stock at all times. I've never had another RIS to compare it to...that's fine by me.

How's the Stone RIS? I have one in my basement that I'm saving for a special occasion. Like when I open my open RIS so I can compare :)

Appreciate the replies gents. Dude, thanks for the reminder. I'm pretty sure I tried it last year about this time and really liked it.

I'll third the Old Rasputin. Great stuff. Stone is great too, but you'll have to wait for it to come around again.

Two more that should be readily available to you are Victory's Storm King and Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout.

Storm King is a nice beer. Flying Dog used to make an Imperial Stout that was great, but I'm not sure if they still do...

I really like Rogue's Imperial Stout. Right up there with Old Rasputin IMO. Full Sail also brewed an amazing Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout a while back called Black Gold. Alas it is no longer available.

Some of my fav imperial stouts:

Bells Expedition
Great Divide Yeti
North Coast Old Rasputin
Hoppin Frog BORIS the Crusher
Great Lakes Blackout Stout
Brooklyn Black Chocolate
Stone's RIS is good but prb towards the lower end of this list

Victory Storm King and Stoudts Fat Dog I go back and forth on, sometimes they are just too boozy and some you get are just right. I just had one of Bear Republics and it wasn't all that great...I'll have to try it again sometime.

alemonkey said:
How's the Stone RIS? I have one in my basement that I'm saving for a special occasion. Like when I open my open RIS so I can compare :)

The Stone is awesome and its almost time for it to be release again :rockin:

Had a Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti last night, pretty good.

My usual fav's are Sam Smiths, and Lefthand's Oak Aged Imperial Stout (although it is spendy...)

cclloyd said:
I just had one for the first time tonight and it may be the best stout I have ever had.:rockin:
Old Rasputin is great. Just tried A 10.5% Podge Belgian Imperial Stout from Alvinne brewery. Amazing!!

1. BrewPastor's 888
2. Old Rasputin

Not only can I not wait for August to get here, but I am going to make a second batch very soon, and I am building up some vacation time.

My favorite beer I've tried so far is BORIS the Crusher from Hoppin Frog.
Blackout Stout from Great Lakes is also an excellent RIS.

Most RIS's I've tried have been excellent, though a few have been a little too hot.
Craig

Old Rasputin is the only one I've had, damn is it good.

I have a bottle of Left Hand RIS in the refrigerator to try, but I think the Old Stumpy RIS (AKA Brewpastor's 8-8-8) is going to be a damn good brew.

Poindexter said:
1. BrewPastor's 888
2. Old Rasputin

Not only can I not wait for August to get here, but I am going to make a second batch very soon, and I am building up some vacation time.

Have to agree with this. It's awesome already. I just bottled mine and it's amazing.
Mantra: Don't touch 'till August, Don't touch 'till August, Don't touch 'till August.

Commercial; Storm King is good. Never had Old Rasputin.

Old Rasputin is some good stuff. That beer though, is extremely dark. I poured it out and it has to be the darkest brew I have ever drank. I think it was absorbing light from my house when I poured it out!!!

Haven't found Storm King yet around here, I wanted to try that one very bad. I love Victory beers!

My two favorites are Abyss from Deschutes and Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide. I have 5 gallons of my own RIS in the secondary right now, I'll probably bottle it next week, then it will sit until at least June 25th (my birthday)

Dude said:
Dude, you have one right in your back yard. The absolute best RIS I've ever had is the current seasonal from St. George's. I'm drinking one now.

I have to agree. One of the most memorable beers I have ever had was St. George's Winter Stout. Amazing stuff. Unfortunately I can't get it here and so I drink Old Rasp, Yeti, Stone and any other light sucking RIS I can get my hands on.

Glibbidy said:
Oskar Blues -Ten Fidy is another fabulous RIS!
One of the best beers you'll ever pour out of a can.

I am impressed with Oskar Blues. I like Dale's and I love Old Chub. I'm going to keep my eyes open for this one. I probably won't be able to get it here.

Dogfishhead WORLD WIDE STOUT!
Hoppin' Frog BORIS the Crusher
Stone RIS
Old Rasputin

the dogfishhead is sooooooooooooooooo good

Expedition, without a doubt...I always keep some around.

Other good ones are Blackout, Dark Lord, Stone(depending on the year), and Yeti.

I had some Left Hand Imperial stout a couple nights ago. Wasn't overly impressed. 10% alcohol and the alcohol seemed to be the dominant factor in the beer. It had a bit of chocolate flavor, but was lacking anything else.

Back