Nonrefundable Bottles / Bottles from Liquor Stores

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
I have a steady supply of large "nonrefundable" Coke bottles from a Mexican restaurant. They also have some really large flavored soda bottles that I can get. Anyone happen to know if these nonrefundable bottles are safe to use? I've used old 1 pint Coke bottles successfully before, but those didn't have the "nonrefundable" label.

On a related note, has anyone had luck getting bottles that were returned for recycling at liquor stores?

I Have used The Mexican coke bottles and many other imported soda bottles. I like to find weird ones like Thums Up from India. Anyways, they are totally fine to use, just don't leave them exposed to sunlight as that may cause problems....

Well, I found another Mexican restaurant that uses "Retornable" bottles, so I'm going to be getting a boatload from them instead. I wish there were some way to get all the painted lettering off. I think I heard that Starsan works for that, so I'm going to give it a try.

Well, I found another Mexican restaurant that uses "Retornable" bottles, so I'm going to be getting a boatload from them instead. I wish there were some way to get all the painted lettering off. I think I heard that Starsan works for that, so I'm going to give it a try.

I have had no luck with starsan on mexican coke bottles, and I've tried various dillutions and even full strength with no luck. You might have to try muratic acid or a wire wheel.....

Try a buffer wheel and jeweler's rouge. I have used it to remove screen printing from ceramic coffee mugs. Very quick and easy.

Back