Quality of Honey.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
So for my last batch I made a watermelon honey wheat which was a slightly modified version of what Dude has posted. In the recipe it calls for 2# of honey. This was the first time I used honey in any of my recipes and decided to use regular store bought "clover" honey from Costco. I realize that you would need relatively good honey for mead but does a 2# addition really need to be a superb honey for beer. I'm just not very versed with honey but I do know you can buy special kinds like orange blossom and what not but I also know they are expensive. The honey I used was about $2 a pound which I thought was a decent price.

P.S. It's great to have a scale now. Hop additions are sooooooo much easier and I can actually weigh out 2# of honey. If anyone is in need of a scale I bought a small one from Harbor Freight for $10. I picked it up because it was very cheap for having 0.1gram resolution which I needed for yeast banking purposes. From reviews it is suppose to be rather accurate and dependable.

I use clover honey for every ale that calls for honey, and it tastes great. My dad gave me 30lb about 6 years ago, good thing that stuff has an infinite shelf life.

1lb of honey - 1.33 cups.

I've also used clover honey in a couple batches of honey blonde ale. taste great.
One of the local discount stores has one pound jars for $1.50 each. I use two pounds per batch and add them when fermentation is almost complete. Then leave it for another 2 weeks.
You can add it to the boil or at flame out,but I think you get more flavor adding it late in the fermentation.

Back