Miller Lite vs. Bud Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does the Homebrewing population like Miller Lite or Bud Light better?

• Bud Light

• Miller Lite

Results are only viewable after voting.

Big-Ben-87

Reaction score
I am just curious to see what the Homebrewing population thinks. Do you like Miller Lite or Bud Light better? I won't say what I like yet so I don't corrupt anyone else. :ban:

OK. I'll bite.

I'll go with Miller Lite over Bud Light. That is usually what I get at a baseball game (options are limited). To me BL tastes like pisswater, where ML is pisswater mixed with beer.

Please dont hurt me!

- magno

EDIT: That puts us at 100% for Miller Lite!!

haha well....ill go ahead and say I choose Miller Lite too. Although I like craft/more complex beers every now and then on a hot day I enjoy a nice simple beer....and Miller Lite is my choice. Plus right now im working as a Miller delivery man as a part time job so riding around on that truck all day makes me thirsty. :)

Please vote if you've tasted both of these beers. It's not saying that you really like that beer but I just wanted to see what Homebrewers thought since Homebrewers generally know good tasting beer. We all know that Bud Light is the #1 selling beer in America but most of those people don't know good beer, that's why I was asking people who do. Thanks.

I lived in Germany for 9 years. The last 5 was about 1.5 hours from the Czech border. The only Budweiser I've had since 1975 was in the town of Ceske Budejovice (Budweis), in the Czech Republic. Then there were the several cases I brought back in '04.

I haven't had a Miller since 1972.
My EVERYDAY/lawnmower beer is German-style Hefe Weizen.:D :drunk:

I voted for Miller Lite, for the sole reason that their commercials are consistently much, MUCH funnier.

Taste-wise, I recall it being MARGINALLY better, but I have not drunk one in quite some time. Did get stuck with the last two beers at a party not too long ago - Michelob Ultra and Corona Light, - AIIIIGH - not good times.

My guilty pleasure for an American/North American-style lager is definately Molson, either Canadian or Golden. Still goes down nice on a day like this.

Heard on the radio the other day that a poll was done of homosexual Americans asking about their favorite products. The #1 beer was Bud Light. Not that there's anything wrong with HA's, especially some of the women. Just thought that was an interesting fact. Bet if you polled the entire population, Bud Light would come up in the top three.

I vote Miller Lite. I used to drink it all the time until I discovered PBR.

I actually like Miller products and cannot stand and would rather drink nothing if my only choice was a Bud product . . .

Then again I was born and raised in Milwaukee and we are weened on Miller here. I still drink Miller every now and again like at festivels (thats all that is available around here, ordanence is if it's not Wisconsin brewed it's not sold at the festivels or Miller Park) or for breakfast after a nasty shift at work. MGD is a nice light beer after you just worked 24 - 48 hours and dont really want to drink something heavier

sudsmonkey said:
Heard on the radio the other day that a poll was done of homosexual Americans asking about their favorite products. The #1 beer was Bud Light. Not that there's anything wrong with HA's, especially some of the women. Just thought that was an interesting fact. Bet if you polled the entire population, Bud Light would come up in the top three.

I vote Miller Lite. I used to drink it all the time until I discovered PBR.
PBR is the best macrobrew in N.America.

I voted thinking this:

I go to a party and they have two coolers of free beer (yea FREE)...one of Miller Lite and one of Bud Light.

Hmm, do I drink a Bud Light? Something that tastes like rotten piss that has aged in a fat old Norweigan woman's wooden shoe?

Or do I drink a Miller Lite? It kinda "tastes" like beer... Has a decent after-taste for being a BMC...

I'll take a Miller Lite.

Exo said:
I voted thinking this:

I go to a party and they have two coolers of free beer (yea FREE)...one of Miller Lite and one of Bud Light.

Hmm, do I drink a Bud Light? Something that tastes like rotten piss that has aged in a fat old Norweigan woman's wooden shoe?

Or do I drink a Miller Lite? It kinda "tastes" like beer... Has a decent after-taste for being a BMC...

I'll take a Miller Lite.

HAHA that was a hilarious description of Bud Light. I fully agree with this statement. I don't know what it is about that beer, but it doesn't taste like beer. Its got a really weak/bitter taste to it I think, but its hard to pinpoint exactly what it is I'm tasting.

Pumbaa said:
I actually like Miller products and cannot stand and would rather drink nothing if my only choice was a Bud product . . .

Then again I was born and raised in Milwaukee and we are weened on Miller here. I still drink Miller every now and again like at festivels (thats all that is available around here, ordanence is if it's not Wisconsin brewed it's not sold at the festivels or Miller Park) or for breakfast after a nasty shift at work. MGD is a nice light beer after you just worked 24 - 48 hours and dont really want to drink something heavier

All too true. I grew up a Miller fan. Miller Lite was the beer of choice in my younger years--I eventually moved onto High Life and MGD. Now I'm a snob. :D

However, I've been known to buy a case of cans of MGD or High Life. Still to this day there is NOTHING better in this world than an ice cold miller product out of a can while mowing the lawn or working on the vehicle in the driveway.

Come over to my house right now and you'll find a fridge pack of MGD.

This is an intersting thread. As a Canadian, I grew up on Molson and Labatt products, and viewed beers from the states with incredible disdain (except for imported Coors for some reason.) Lite beers up here aren't pushed as hard as they are in the states either and it never really enters into my thought process when picking up a 12er for hot summer days.
I'm still abstaining from the vote, though I will say Kokanee or Molson Pilsener are my swill-choices, and often have one of them on hand.

very loud and resonating....'BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRPPPPPPP'

Sorry..... now that felt good... uhhh.... neither.

Chairman Cheyco said:
though I will say Kokanee or Molson Pilsener are my swill-choices, and often have one of them on hand.

Man, ice cold Kokanee is a teriffic thing. We used to get it in NY.

On topic, to me Miller Lite has more/better flavor than Bud Light.

I've never tried either, but Coors lite is good for brining sausage. PBR seems to be the leading choice for boiling brats. Maybe it's old age creeping up, but I'm having trouble remembering when and what I last had from BMC.

most PBR is contract brewed by Miller right here in Milwaukee . . . and PBR isnt good for anything . . . except maybe putting on your lawn

http://www.jerrybaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

ALL-SEASON TONICS
Everywhere I go, folks want to know what the best tonics are for cleaning and greening up their yards. Well, here's how to make my amazing All-Season Tonics that'll turn your yard into a green grass paradise overnight.

All-Season Green-Up Tonic
1 can of beer,
1 cup of ammonia,
1/2 cup of Plant Shampoo,
1/2 cup of Liquid Lawn Food, and
1/2 cup molasses or corn syrup
Mix all of the ingredients in a bucket, and pour into your 20 gallon hose-end sprayer. Apply to everything in your yard to the point or run-off every 3 weeks, in the morning, throughout the growing season.

All-Season Clean-Up Tonic
1 cup of Plant Shampoo,
1 cup of antiseptic mouthwash, and
1 cup of chewing tobacco tea*
Mix all of the ingredients in your 20 gallon hose-end sprayer, filling the balance of the sprayer jar with warm water. Apply to your entire yard to the point of run-off every 2 weeks, in the evening, to discourage insects and prevent disease

*Chewing Tobacco Tea
* To make tobacco tea, place half a handful of chewing tobacco in an old nylon stocking and soak it in a gallon of hot water until the mixture is dark brown.

Lol, reminds me of the days of being broke in college at UW-Milwaukee. We used to buy cases of Huber Beer for dirt cheap and get free cases when we were broke and previously to lazy to return the bottles. :)

Then we got a little money and started drinking Milwaukee's Best (the beast). We'd pool our monies and get a "Beer of the Month" 1/4 barrel for a weekend binge...usually Sprecher or something "good."

When we graduated and had some money we moved on to Miller High Life supplemented by a micro six-pack here and there.

Now I think nothing of buying a six-pack for more than the cost of that case of Huber Beer....

Dude said:
All too true. I grew up a Miller fan. Miller Lite was the beer of choice in my younger years--I eventually moved onto High Life and MGD. Now I'm a snob. :D

However, I've been known to buy a case of cans of MGD or High Life. Still to this day there is NOTHING better in this world than an ice cold miller product out of a can while mowing the lawn or working on the vehicle in the driveway.

Come over to my house right now and you'll find a fridge pack of MGD.

Yea exactly. I just had some MGD last night actually. If I'm sitting around casually drinking only a couple beers then craft beers/homebrew is the way to go. But as far as hot days working outside or just days you wanna finish off a whole 12 pack, there is no better way to go than Miller Lite to me. Also, I agree with the guy from Canada. I recently tried Molson Ice and it was delicious. I also enjoy Moosehead.

I've got to vote Bud Light since my grandpa used to drive the Clydesdale hitch for Budweiser - my family was Anheiser Busch product exclusive when I was growing up.

That said, since I'm new, I've got to ask what BMC stands for?

G. Cretin said:
PBR is the best macrobrew in N.America.

Pumbaa said:
most PBR is contract brewed by Miller right here in Milwaukee . . . and PBR isnt good for anything . . . except maybe putting on your lawn

And all are owned by SABMiller whose parent company is
South African Breweries Limited.

Prior to that it was RJR Reynolds tobacco (now Altria).

Bud is its own evil Empire and it distrubutes beers such as Guiness.
Coors is the Fredo of the bunch recently allying with Molson.

Bud is like an Iced Tea of Beer with Beer flavoring.

I prefer MGD to Coors and Bud. I drink Guiness.

Soylent Green is People. Wash your Soylent Green down with BMC.

^^ do you have a good Guiness clone?^^
please post any replie in a PM or the thread police will come around and they don't have a sense of humor.
edited to be on topic: PBR was until 2003 also brewed in San Antonio by Pearl brewers the building is now being converted in to a mall. It makes baby Jesus cry.

Bud is the number one beer in America because most Americans are suckered in by their advertising. I mean obviously so far this poll is showing most of us homebrewers prefer Miller Lite, and Homebrewers know good tasting beer. After all, we make it. ~~~
:)

Big-Ben-87 said:
Bud is the number one beer in America because most Americans are suckered in by their advertising. I mean obviously so far this poll is showing most of us homebrewers prefer Miller Lite, and Homebrewers know good tasting beer. After all, we make it. ~~~
:)

i am gonna agree with you about homebrewers knowing great beer and selecting miller lite over bud light.

on the other hand, i am not sure why bud light is america's fav. i am not sure it is marketing as miller lite has them beat in that area IMHO...

but regardless i believe miller lite is the most flavorful of the big 3, which is a plus when it comes to light beer, because i believe it is also lowest in calories and carbs. in fact, the low carbs of miller light compare to most low carb beers.

miller did something right when they brewed miller lite.

or course with that said, it cannot compete with other beers, especially those of the homebrewer, brewpubs and microbreweries.

Well, the two beers are exactly the same in price so there has to be some other reason as to why Bud Light has such a huge gap over the rest. I read recently that Bud Light sells 51% of beers in America, with Miller coming in second only at 20% and Coors at 18%. There has to be some reason that this many more people like Bud Light. We have to get to the core of this and figure it out....

Big-Ben-87 said:
Well, the two beers are exactly the same in price so there has to be some other reason as to why Bud Light has such a huge gap over the rest. I read recently that Bud Light sells 51% of beers in America, with Miller coming in second only at 20% and Coors at 18%. There has to be some reason that this many more people like Bud Light. We have to get to the core of this and figure it out....

naw, we don't have to figure it out.

once i start getting enough stock of homebrew put away, i don't have to worry about BMC anymore. :rockin:

but to futher elaborate, i will bet some of that market share is due to more women drinking beer and favoring the more watered down bud light. then again, why wouldn't they just drink coors light. ;)

to be honest i was a coors light drinker for years, until an ex girlfriend turned me onto miller lite. my wife was also a coors light drinker for many years, until she ran out one night and started drinking my miller lite. she's been a miller lite drinker since.

of course, she tasted my first home brew last night during bottling and she liked it.... DAMMIT, i thought i was gonna get it all, well at least me and my friends. NOW THE SWMBO LIKES IT TOO !!!! :mad: :tank:

Big-Ben-87 said:

Location in releationship to train lines for shipping and the at what point in time where national distribution started for each brewery . . . that wasnt me TBH I saw it on some History Channel/A&E/TLC/Discovery type show but dont have a freeking clue on which one

I voted Miller Light just cause I dislike (and dislike is being politically correct) miller just a smidge less than bud light.... ugh.... It's beer (sorta)flavored water, like that fancy water you get with lemon or strawberry flavoring in it... Miller Light actually has less offensive flavorings... If I'm at someone's house that I don't know very well, I(for some reason) don't have any beer and they offer me a "beer", I'll drink anything they give me as a gesture of acceptance. I'm not one to turn my nose up to people, just beer I don't like. And lecturing someone I don't know on how their favorite beer tastes like sock water mixed with piss and a touch of beer and telling them that they are smoking crack to buy over priced !@#$ in a can, then yelling at them that the born on date is the most idiotic thing I have EVER heard about.... I do believe they would write me off as a tad psycho. :cross:

definately miller lite between those two....there is something about the taste of bud lite....i don't know if it's the rice adjunct instead of the corn, but it just has an unpleasant taste as far as BMC I'd say for me
1)ML
2)CL
3)BL

Actually I'd drink Pabst, Blatz, and Milwaukee's Best Light before I'd drink Bud Lite

Both suck, but miller is better,even tho I havee done work at Anhausier.

And yes, PBR is cheaper and far better than both.

the_bird said:
I voted for Miller Lite, for the sole reason that their commercials are consistently much, MUCH funnier.

For me, the "Real American Heroes"/"Real Men of Genius" Bud Light radio spots are the funniest beer commercials ever.

Back