Oven baking bottles with label on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antheus

Reaction score
I was just curious if it is possible to oven bake bottles while the label is still on. Reason I ask is because I am a little strapped for time since I am moving out of my apartment (just graduated) and things have been a bit too hectic lately and so this was kind of forgotten along the way. Has anyone ever done this and not started a fire?

If not where is the best place to pick up some oxyclean locally?

You can get oxyclean at most any store, wal-mart etc.

You don't need to bake the bottles though, there are lots of ways to sanitize them. I use Star-san (you'd have to buy this at a brew-store). You could also use idophore to sanitize, you'd find this at a brew-store or at a local feed store (used to sanitize the teats on a cow). Lastly you could mix up some bleach and water -search around this site for the proper ratio. Let the bottles soak for 30 minutes, then rinse with pre-boiled water or just chance it and use tap water, which will probably be just fine.

I've never baked bottles with or without labels so I can't comment on that part.

You don't need to bake the bottles though, there are lots of ways to sanitize them.

I don't think he's wanting to sanitize them this way, he's wanting to burn the labels off instead of scrubbing them off.

It's probably a bad idea. But hypothetically if I were to do it I'd try one bottle first at 450*F-500*F. I'd also be sure to have a fire extinguisher close at hand, really good ventilation above the oven and watch it carefully. If it worked out, I'd try more.

But seriously, just bite the bullet and scrub the labels off. It'll probably amount to the same or less time because you'll have to wait for the bottles to cool, air out your place and clean the oven. Also, the bottles might break from the bottom being much hotter than the tops. And you don't have to worry about burning down your place from scrubbing bottles.

I spent the better part of yesterday morning removing labels. Hot water + oxyclean soak for a couple of minutes removed most labels pretty easy (Grolsh, Stella Atrios, Salvator, DFH 60, and Optimator bottles).

XX bottles (wife's favorite) are the only ones giving me some trouble, but still come off with a little bit of effort. I'm going to try out a longer and hotter oxyclean soak with them to see if that makes it any easier.

Oxyclean is available almost universally-- look for it next to the laundry detergent.

Went out and bought the oxyclean, the bottles are currently soaking in it. It wasnt the money that was an issue, just didnt know how widely available it was! After just a few minutes the labels were starting to come off pretty easily, will let it sit for a while more. I plan to bake them afterwards anyways, but I noticed that this oxyclean stuff is really soapy. What's the best way to clean the bottles post oxyclean?

well sadly i dont have a dish washer. The oxiclean worked great with the labels, gonna give it a few rinses and bottle soon.

Back