Training hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
My cascade hop is getting big...Big enough that the cops came by and checked it out...
It has 8 shoots...2 are big...How many tines should I let grow...and which ones...? Thanks
100_3425.jpg

For the first year on my plants I let them grow as much as they wanted. Now for the second year I'll probably only let 6 bines grow and keep the others trimmed off to reduce moisture/fungus potential near the base of the plant.

He is the growth on my magnum hop plant planted at the same time...which was a 'normal' size rhizome...
100_3426.jpg

Train 2-3 bines each up at least two ropes on that large crown, once they are well on their way up the ropes and stable coiling themselves, then you can cut back all the lower growth and extra shoots.

That crown will send out hundreds of shoots before long, each white shoot has potential. You could also divide that up into about 20 plants if you so choose.

The plant will also spend some energy making roots , but dont worry about that on such a big rhizome, the plant will just do what it needs to.

Std Rhizomes I left all greenery last year so that they built better roots- more green = more roots

Back