Indiana Jones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I didn't want to see if but SWMBO just had to, fond youth memories of the the Jones.

What a ****ing awful movie. It's like they made a bet on how horrible they could make a movie and still get people to watch it. What was up with the horrible sets instead of filming on location? Survived a nuclear blast? Everything was over the top fake. Ford is too old and apathetic for the role. What a terrible, terrible movie.

It was so bad my wife got up, cleaned the kitchen and baked a cake half way through. She never bakes.

Damn that friggin CGI groundhog (or prarie dog) at the beginning sealed the film's fate in my mind from minute 1.

Wow! Now I am glad I didn't drop the $15.99 for it this weekend. Thaks for the heads up. I will still reserve a rental copy to see for myself but thankfully now I won;t have to own the regret of a $15.99 coaster.

I was telling my sister-in-law how bad it was and asked her if she'd believe me if I told her that there were aliens and space ships in Indy 4. She started laughing and wouldn't believe me, I told her not to waste the 2 hours, because there were indeed space ships.

What a terrible movie, and I hear there are talks about Indy 5!

P.S. What the heck was the point of those monkey men!?!? bah, this movie just sucked.

P.P.S How the heck does this movie have a 76% at rottentomatoes.com!?!?!?!

Arguing for this movie is hard but on one hand I think the aliens work with the original "pulpy" ...

nope I can't really do it. I can't argue for it.

I was willing to overlook the mediocre 1st half but the last half got SO MUCH WORSE!

Ultimately I think Lucas is able to kill good ideas and make a weak movie unwatchable.

I didn't want to see if but SWMBO just had to, fond youth memories of the the Jones.

What a ****ing awful movie. It's like they made a bet on how horrible they could make a movie and still get people to watch it. What was up with the horrible sets instead of filming on location? Survived a nuclear blast? Everything was over the top fake. Ford is too old and apathetic for the role. What a terrible, terrible movie.

It was so bad my wife got up, cleaned the kitchen and baked a cake half way through. She never bakes.

Do a search n00b!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/in...al-skull-66593/?highlight=crystal+skull+jones

:D

I thought cheesy effects, matte paintings, and wholly unrealistic survival scenarios were the hallmark of Indiana Jones movies. I haven't seen it, but I would expect no less from the new one.

What, the Ark of the Covenant is OK, but aliens are too farfetched? Pshaw, says I.

I thought cheesy effects, matte paintings, and wholly unrealistic survival scenarios were the hallmark of Indiana Jones movies. I haven't seen it, but I would expect no less from the new one.

Yeah but the other scenarios were fun. This was garbage. Also the Ark is a fantasy element imbued with thousands of years of history. This was just a trinket proved to be fake. The movie was rancid. Even T.O.D. was a better movie.

I haven't seen it yet, but it doesn't sound very good.

How many years has it been since the last one, Indy has to be pretty damn old by now. Probably too old......

There's been so much negativity surrounding this movie, that by the time I saw it (rental) I didn't think it was too bad. If you think about it, it seems close to what the other movies were and it is supposed to be campy and over the top. People's expectations are too high because of the technology available today.

While I really enjoyed the Bourne movies, the shaky cam is bothersome to what after a while. I watched The Crystal Skull and enjoyed it for what it was.

The previous films had a certain element of spirituality, what with the Ark, Stones, and Holy Grail. So, when the end of the 4th movie had aliens, it was a complete undoing of what they used as the basis for the first 3 movies.

I mean, if they are going to fantasize, then fine, but pick one and stay with it.

Frankly I thought it was an 'ok' movie, but as an Indy movie it was very disappointing. My wife surprised me by picking up the 4th movie on BlueRay. Well, I didn't want her to be upset, but I'd rather have spent the $25 on something better. Heck, I don't even own the first three!

This is an interesting article.

I assumed they got the story from somewhere (other than their own imaginations).

"I personally feel that [the skulls] are coming out now because humanity needs the information, their energy and they have probably their own purpose why they're coming out: to help us to create world peace," said Joshua " Illinois" Shapiro, 53, a self-described Crystal Skull Explorer who makes a living touring and lecturing."

What I could sit through of this movie did indeed suck. I tried watching it on my flight back from Europe and I couldn't get past 30 minutes of it. The kid that rode the motorcycle bothers me, no matter what role he's playing...

1) Survives Nuclear Blast.
2) Survives spectacular crash in a lead lined fridge "Rocket"
3) Survives 3 unbelievable waterfall crashes. They fact that they remain in an open-top boat the entire time is unbelievable.
4) A sword fight on two parallel running trucks on PARALELL RUNNING ROADS in a rainforest. Uh.... Bad guys... go ahead and tap the brakes.
5) Monkey's guide thier new found Monkey king (Shai) back to the truck caravan on a vine system that rivals BART, the Tube, or the Chicago El.

My only beef with the aliens is if you're going to collect the antiquities of man... a good place to store them is IDK.... inside your departing craft.

And on a side note.... all of the antiquities ARE STILL THERE. What archeologist is unable find stuff buried in the ground? OH NOES... I guess it all is washed away. No sense in looking for any of it.

I believe the skulls were recently proven to completely be a hoax. All of the skulls were a fake.Crystal Skulls Deemed Fakes : Discovery News : Discovery Channel

I think that is referring to the ones that are in the museums, most likely replicated for the sole purpose of gain. It seems that there are other skulls, privately held which may be older. Undoubtedly man made as an artifact for worship. What I was getting at is that there is usually a little bit of truth even in these fantastic stories.

2) Survives spectacular crash in a lead lined fridge "Rocket"

Oh my gosh. You know I was watching that and was like "WTF is a lead lined fridge" I mean it's like the gheyest concept (they exist but for storage of pharms, etc). You put a friggin piece of info on the prop so that when joe blow says "No WAAAAAAY he survived that" that his slightly more intelligent cousin says "Yeah, but dude that was a LEAD LINED fridge". Never mind the heat or the force. The lead lining saved him. :D

I have a theory that the first movie had the least amount of improbable and impossible elements and this movie had the most only rivaling TOD, any spiritual or supernatural events non-withstanding.

I can accept the Arc's power or the Holy Grail mythos or even aliens because their appearance is well defined in the human experience. I know of no Mystic fridge or Peruvian Parallel Jungle Road tales.... Do you?

Hey, come on now. All of the Indy movies had some amount of "yeah right". It was never about realism. So what if it seems like this script was written by a imaginative 14 YO?

Yeah and when those guys popped out of the friggin clay or whatever. Yeah they were waiting since forever embedded in clay for these guys :D.

I didn't mind the concept of the aliens and them being worshiped,etc. What I loathed was all the nonsensical (to the plot) things they did in this film. From the CGI groundhog to the guys embedded in clay ( I am sure there is more I am forgetting ).

When I saw the groundhog I half expected to hear "I'm all right / Nobody worry 'bout me / Why you got to gimme a fight / Why don't you just let me be" start playing in the background...

I think that is referring to the ones that are in the museums, most likely replicated for the sole purpose of gain. It seems that there are other skulls, privately held which may be older. Undoubtedly man made as an artifact for worship. What I was getting at is that there is usually a little bit of truth even in these fantastic stories.

Hmm from what I had heard it made me think that this was all fabricated. I hadn't heard of any evidence of these skulls existing before the mid 1800's (I don't know what I am talking about only looked into this online). From what I can tell there is nothing that shows that any of this is authentic. Its "new mythology" created within the last hundred & 20 years and seems like it really only became popular with the Mitchell-Hedges skull.

No I agree... I think the ratio is about 1 or 2 in a good Indy film and about 15 in this one.

I still found it less annoying than Short Round in the old movie. And thady lady screaming Indy's name constantly. Sheesh. Oh, yeah, the mining cart run.. Falling out of a plane and landing safely on a life raft. Oh there were others.

It's too bad they feel compelled to do this sort of thing. I, for one, wouldn't mind if NORMAL exceptional things happened to the hero, instead of them being portrayed as superhuman. I do agree that the last one had much more of that stuff, but you know with Hollywood, it's all about bigger is better.

Back