Negative cashflow day today rambling (hug needed)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfluent

Reaction score
OK, I know this is all self inflicted but I need some serious lovebombing here to get me out of panic mode...

I've just moved to a new apartment that I'm renovating/restoring. I've allready spend a fortune on the wood flooring (massive olied oak:cross:) and I've been planning and ordering a new kitchen (wich will make a serious dent in any wallet).

I'm also a serious photographer and I've been waiting for years for Nikon to launch a semi-pro fullframe body. I've said for years that when they launch that body I'll upgrade to FF gear (mighty expensive). A couple months ago I got word they where going to release one so I signed up for it and some new FF glass to go with it.

One of my other hobbies (obsessions really) is hifi and home cinema. It so happened that I sepparated a couple months ago and maybe a couple weeks later a friend and I took a couple beers with one of his friends. He is an excentric loudspeaker designer guru that has designed what I would describe as the most potent and accurate speaker systems available today (and I've heard them all...). Having listened to me rambling on about my sepparation (and drinking vast amounts of my homebrew, I might add) he said he had a pair of his ultra reference speaker cabinets for immediate delivery and spontaneously offered me them at a huge discount (usually it's 1-3 YEARS delivery time for his reference speakers and they are *not* cheap). So, I thought f*ck it, it's a one in a lifetime opportunity and I bought them...

So, what about the cash flow? Well, at 9:00 today I bought a huge wardobe system at IKEA. Way more money than I anticipated (IKEA is supposed to be cheap!). At 10:00 the company delivering the kitchen called and said that it was ready for delivery (and payment. Today...). at 11:00 the guy with the speakers called and said he would have the speakers assembled and ready for delivery saturday and would that he would like to come over to my place to tune them to my room (and get paid). At 14:00 the photo shop called and said that if I don't collect (and pay) the house today they will sell it to the next guy in line.

Gdang, I don't think I've ever spent so much money in one day as today. Still I think I feel OK :mug:

H

Relax, don't worry, have a home brewed øl.

Skål!

:mug:

The thing is that I JUST DRANK THE LAST "ÖL" (beer/homebrew). I'm on french peer cognac now...Chers, "ol' chap"! :mug:

H

PS. Never thought about the word "öl" ("beer") before. "ö" is actually "o" and "e" combined into one letter making "oel" which is prononced "ale"... hmm... what a coincidence...:drunk:
DS

Take a deep breath, exhale, take another deep breath, exhale, continue....
It will be okay! It may have been a rough financial day but you have lots of cool stuff and you are well on your way to the life you wanted.

Amount of money spent= lots
Amount of enjoyment gained= holy crap a bunch!!:ban:
Have a few and you will forget all about the money. Or maybe I have had a few and it just sounded good. :cross: Live in the moment I say.

SD

I feel for you brother! I remember writing a check for $75,000 as a down payment on my house...that's the largest check I ever wrote...damned near took half my savings...;)

I wrote another large check 2 years later and paid off the house.

Now I'm just socking it away...:rockin:

Can I borrow some money?

+1

I feel for you brother! I remember writing a check for $75,000 as a down payment on my house...that's the largest check I ever wrote...damned near took half my savings...;)

I wrote another large check 2 years later and paid off the house.

Now I'm just socking it away...:rockin:

Can I borrow your money, or better yet just give it to me. :D

Spending a bunch of money at once can be an enjoyable experience, but I always feel some regret the next few days. Kind of like a bad hangover.

OK, I know this is all self inflicted but I need some serious lovebombing here to get me out of panic mode...

I've just moved to a new apartment that I'm renovating/restoring. I've allready spend a fortune on the wood flooring (massive olied oak:cross:) and I've been planning and ordering a new kitchen (wich will make a serious dent in any wallet).

I'm also a serious photographer and I've been waiting for years for Nikon to launch a semi-pro fullframe body. I've said for years that when they launch that body I'll upgrade to FF gear (mighty expensive). A couple months ago I got word they where going to release one so I signed up for it and some new FF glass to go with it.

One of my other hobbies (obsessions really) is hifi and home cinema. It so happened that I sepparated a couple months ago and maybe a couple weeks later a friend and I took a couple beers with one of his friends. He is an excentric loudspeaker designer guru that has designed what I would describe as the most potent and accurate speaker systems available today (and I've heard them all...). Having listened to me rambling on about my sepparation (and drinking vast amounts of my homebrew, I might add) he said he had a pair of his ultra reference speaker cabinets for immediate delivery and spontaneously offered me them at a huge discount (usually it's 1-3 YEARS delivery time for his reference speakers and they are *not* cheap). So, I thought f*ck it, it's a one in a lifetime opportunity and I bought them...

So, what about the cash flow? Well, at 9:00 today I bought a huge wardobe system at IKEA. Way more money than I anticipated (IKEA is supposed to be cheap!). At 10:00 the company delivering the kitchen called and said that it was ready for delivery (and payment. Today...). at 11:00 the guy with the speakers called and said he would have the speakers assembled and ready for delivery saturday and would that he would like to come over to my place to tune them to my room (and get paid). At 14:00 the photo shop called and said that if I don't collect (and pay) the house today they will sell it to the next guy in line.

Gdang, I don't think I've ever spent so much money in one day as today. Still I think I feel OK :mug:

H

Go see Doctor Phil if you want some one to make you feel good.

Buck up and Brew, do some man stuff. And I see you barely mentioned homebrew in the OP. :mug:

Hope it goes better

+1

Can I borrow your money, or better yet just give it to me. :D

Spending a bunch of money at once can be an enjoyable experience, but I always feel some regret the next few days. Kind of like a bad hangover.
I'd like to help, but I just gave away another $27K for an '09 Toyota Camry SL...an early retirement present to myself...:D

Do you have enough $ left to brew?
Hell, yes, and THAT's the IMPORTANT thing here...

Hey, Henrik!!! You still with us Bro??? :mug:

Me and the Mrs. can come on over. We'll even pay you $100.00 a week to stay there to help you pay off your IKEA bill.

Hell, I'll even bring my metric screwdriver to help you assemble...:rockin:

Well, at 9:00 today I bought a huge wardobe system at IKEA. Way more money than I anticipated (IKEA is supposed to be cheap!).

Well that's what you get for buying from IKEA. You know how devious and evil those Swedes are! Oh wai.....

One way to reassure yourself is, are you going to be able to pay your rent/bills at the end of the month? If so, then you'll be just fine. Breathe in... breathe out.... breathe in.... breathe out....

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Differences Between Co-ops and Condos[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are a few key differences between condominiums and cooperative apartments. Condo owners have legal title, i.e., ownership rights, to a piece of land that New York calls ‘real property.’ Whether your condo is situated on the 3rd floor or high up in the penthouse, it’s still a piece of land.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Co-op apartment owners don't own land, but rather shares of stock that the cooperative apartment corporation allocates to their unit. Buying a co-op involves having not only your finances scrutinzed, but also your personal background. If you get sick thinking about the Taxi sitcom episode when Louie, Danny Devito’s character, gets interviewed by a luxury co-op board with a hoity-toity attitude, a condo may be more your style.

Today, the vast majority of newly built New York City apartment buildings are condominiums. Real estate brokers know that buyers place a premium on the freedom and flexibility that condos generally offer over co-ops.
[/FONT]

http://www.ny-condos.com/condo-coop.html

I have clients in the city who clearly refer to buying and selling an "apartment", as opposed to a condo.

Can I borrow some money?

From me? Not anymore, no...;)

Thing is that I allways feel bad after spending money on stuff that's not essential for life (such as clothes, food and beer).

However, today feels better. I've been punishing myself all morning by putting togehter that IKEA crap I bought.

H

Isnt an Apartment you own called a condo?

Ah, yes. I'll chalk it up as another language barrier problem...

Actually, I beleave it's more like a combination of the US "co-op" and "condo". It's a co-op that actually owns the property (buildings, roads, parks, tennis courts etc.) and each "condo owner" pay a montly fee to the co-op for their services and for general maintanance of the property.

However, the co-op cannot really stop me from selling my apartment (and co-op share) to whomever I like.

H

Oh thats pretty cool. I was confused as an Apartment you'd have to put everything back when you decided to leave

Oh man, I know the money crunch feeling! That one hurts. But as has been said before you'll make it back, it's just money. :mug:

and brew some damn beer!

Oh thats pretty cool. I was confused as an Apartment you'd have to put everything back when you decided to leave
Mike: In Europe they buy their apartments. You can find places to rent, but they're usually harder to find.

Also, in Germany when you get an apartment there's usually NO light fixtures or kitchens. You have to buy them all yourself and put them in. ;) It comes under "customizing"...

Mike: In Europe they buy their apartments. You can find places to rent, but they're usually harder to find.

Yes. In Sweden there are quite a lot of rental apartments. However, the "official" system for obtaining an rental apartment in Sweden is just insane. I honnestly think they turned Starlin for advice on this one.

As with any regulated markets there are huge problems with "money under the table" and insane queue times (everything is pretty much regulated) -I would have needed to wait about 15-20 YEARS in order to be "offered" a crappy rental apartment near where I live now...

H

You're bitching that you're buying TOYS? A new Nikon, some serious speakers, and you're whining?

Give up your man card now. When you're done acting like a little girl we'll let you have it back.

(more specs on the speakers, please...)

B

Can I borrow some money?

Not any more.

***This always happens to me this time of year when Canon introduces the new cameras. Last year...it was especially bad...XTI, a 40D AND a G9. Fortunately this year I'm only interested in the XSi I got a few weeks ago.

Anyway...all of this to say...Relax....Brew a few batches and get ready to work like a dog with no food for a few weeks to catch back up@ HA!

Funny how your troubles seem to dissipate with the heat when you're running wort through a Counter Flow Chiller!

Give up your man card now. When you're done acting like a little girl we'll let you have it back.

:)

(more specs on the speakers, please...)

You shouldn't have asked -I can go on for days about this!

The speakers are designed by a Swedish former psychoacoustic researcher and originally developed as a "ultra reference" studio monitor. It's a split system design so the front speakers only cover frequencies down to 80Hz and must be used with a set of his bass modules and his active filter module to provide the oompf below 80Hz.

This is the side system:
hogtalare4.jpg

I think they look pretty ugly but every angle and every dimension on these speakers are done purely for acoustical reasons. They sport two extremely capable 8" drivers and a 1" dome tweeter -all custom designed for this particular speaker making it capable of sound preassures reaching and exceeding 125dB in a normal listening environment before any human detectable distortion kicks in...

The bass modules I got are his "medium sized" ones capable of matching sound preassures down to below 15Hz:rockin: (it's the one in the corner with dual bass ports. it's a 12" driver to give some clue about the size):

pyvsvn.jpg

Now, the purpose with the extreme sound pressures this system is capable of is not to play loud but to create headroom enough to be able to reproduce sound at realistic levels totally effortless and without any trace of distortion.

To complement the front system I'll have 3x3 of his cluster surrond speakers. They are tiny speakers designed to work in group (just like the surround in a movie theatre).

I have to assemble all the speakers myself (except for the cabinets) and he'll come by and measure them all up and tune them to my room.

Ingvar, the designer will release a couple of his "underground designs" in the US under the brand "Guru Pro Audio". The "entry level" Guru QM 10 is reviewed in this article (second half):

http://www.jazztimes.com/reviews/audio_video_files/reviewDetail.cfm

Can I get my man license back now?

H

Nice! I have only one question, do you get any combing from the two mids pointed up at each other? Is there a delay on one or the other so the waves line up? It seems to me they're only going to line up at one particular point. Which I guess is okay if you're the only one listening.

I guess you can have your man card back.

B

Man, I remember that day...mine was a wire transfer, for over $100K. I'm standing in line at the bank looking over the paperwork, and noticed that I'm wiring most of my life savings to an address in the Bahamas!! Not a comforting feeling...

It all worked out though...either that, or I've been squatting here for the past decade.

...all out...leather, vehicle stability, sunroof, been to 143 mph already...wait??? It was over 30K, did I over pay at $27,4?? :drunk: (DO NOT ANSWER...there's ALWAYS the coulda-woulda-shoulda factor...:D

Did you drive it off a cliff? NFW a camry will go 140+ MPH. I'll come and pace you.

Nice! I have only one question, do you get any combing from the two mids pointed up at each other? Is there a delay on one or the other so the waves line up? It seems to me they're only going to line up at one particular point. Which I guess is okay if you're the only one listening.

I guess you can have your man card back.

B

That's a very relevant questiuon. The impulse response from these spearkers is -at least in my mind- almost defying the laws of nature. As I said, *every* angle and dimention on these speakers (side system/sattelite) is meticilosly thought through and tuned to the drivers he has designed for these particular cabinets.

The angled mids and the ofset tweeter together with the crossover produces a *completely* phase linear wavefront within 180 degrees horisontally over the full audible spectrum (and also produce the psycoacoustially correct dispertion pattern vertically). As far as I know his designs are the only ones capable of this level of accuracy.

All these features built into his speakers are made to produce a fully holographic soundstage (which means that the "sweetspot", or "sweetarea" as Ingvar calls it can extends as much as from speaker to speaker and from sitting down to standing up -the soundstage is rock solid and timbrally accurate as long as you sit somewhere between the speakers).

The mid drivers are a pretty neat design. The usual driver is designed to be stiff and do a "piston move". This is nice for lower frequencies but it creates problems at higher frequencies because of the increased directivity when the wavelength approaches the width of the piston.

Ingvars solution is to design a driver that is purpouslu made weak and has a material in the cone that propagates soundwaves at a particular speed. The end result is that the driver -due to its weak cone material- will change from piston movement to concentric waves (actually "breaking up gracefully") at a particular frequency in a way that produce perfectly concentric waves with perfect dispersion way beond its frequency range.

Just as an example, the impulse response from a good, commercially availabe high end speaker looks like this (I beleve it is the B&W 801):
p523672872-2.jpg

The impulse response from my "i32s" looks like this:
p128367733-2.jpg

Now, while the impulse response from these speaker are impressive, Ingvar is very keen to point out that the phase linearity of his designs is just a "neat biproduct" and it's the overall performance that is important -not the impulse response.

Still I beleave it shows how much effort has gone in to this design.

H

Back