#3 Plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkapottomous

Reaction score
I tried searching for this with little results, but maybe you guys can help me.

I just bought some 5 gallon reusable plastic jugs. I didn't have the money for glass, so I went down to the local wal mart and picked some up (you know, like you'd get from sparkletts or ozarka) Thing is, when I looked at them after I got home, they were #3.

what's the difference between #3 and #2, and will I be able to use them as fermenters?

Thanks in advance!

I tried searching for this with little results, but maybe you guys can help me.

I just bought some 5 gallon reusable plastic jugs. I didn't have the money for glass, so I went down to the local wal mart and picked some up (you know, like you'd get from sparkletts or ozarka) Thing is, when I looked at them after I got home, they were #3.

what's the difference between #3 and #2, and will I be able to use them as fermenters?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/recycling-symbols-plastics-460321

so it's a no go?

it says
PVC contains chlorine, so its manufacture can release highly dangerous dioxins. If you must cook with PVC, don't let the plastic touch food. Also never burn PVC, because it releases toxins

but that doesn't necessarily mean that I can't use it to ferment, does it?

NEVERMIND!

I just checked the bottom of my Mr. Beer fermentation barrel and guess what, it's PVC as well. Crisis averted, but thanks for the info.

well until the summer when I'm out of classes and have time to get a job, plastics will suffice.

if only I could make some money doing this......

No issues with plastics. I use buckets. And after 3 years the nub at the base of my spine has stopped wagging uncontrollably.

Now, it only wags when I get excited.

Or I see a bus.

Back