Ranco vs. Johnson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfe006

Reaction score
It looks like from the posts on here, that quite a few guys are building systems similar to Pols. It looks like a great system and I'm planning on starting a similar build myself. I saw that a Johnson a419 was used on his system to controll the hlt temperature. I was wondering what the difference was between the Johnson a419 and the Ranco ETC-111000? Will they work as perfect subistutes, or with your experience, is one a better choice than the other?

I have a Johnson and several Rancos. The only significant difference I have noticed is that the Ranco you can change from heating to cooling mode from the control panel. The Johnson requires you to unscrew the cover and adjust a jumper.

This doesn't really matter for your application.

Yup, either one is a fine choice, i believe the Rancos are a bit cheaper.

I think we are overlooking the most important difference...

A419 is blue...Ranco is gray

I chose the blue A419 as it stands out like a beacon on the bright yellow igloo cooler :)

Yah, wife prefers a Big Johnson to a "Ranco"
Either will work, but the A419 looks cooler

Another HBTer is stopping in this evening to look at the rig for build inspitration. I am glad it has inspired so many neat builds here.

I think we are overlooking the most important difference...

A419 is blue

Not all of em':)

resizeimgphp.jpg

I'd go ranco out of the two... but most certainly above both I would from experience and preference chose a Love controller. Higher levels of customization make it a unit you can use for many different applications. I use it on my homebuilt walk-in keezer, and it solved alot of problems after using one of the above. For one you can program a custom defrost cycle.

For a simple HLT, Id use the A419. It is easy, simple... you dont need anything fancy to heat water. I agree that PIDs and LOVE controllers are tits... but really, to heat water, it is overkill.

Back