Other hobbies besides brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Food. I am especially interested in all things fermented.

Outside of things I can consume, I would say movies and automobiles. I go through phases with cycling and disc golf, but those are very seasonal for me.

boating, fishing (mostly salt but fresh sometimes too), cooking, guitar, golf, reading. I used to have 45 and 20 gallon aquariums (angel fish, community tank, cichlids, etc.)

I ran sled dogs until I had to move, but cannot wait to get back to New England and resume and renew this passion along with Brewing...I also enjoy flyfishing immensely...

I enjoy cooking, both inside and outside. Most of the indoor cooking is on the stovetop, although I also do a fair amount of baking. Outside, there's the grill (of course), but I also have a 20x36 offset barbeque pit that I enjoy firing up from time to time.

I keep a vegetable garden, as well, and many different herbs.

Other than that, I enjoy reading and writing essays. I couldn't live without music, although I am much, much better at listening to it than making it.

I also have two kids. They are, by far, the most expensive and time consuming hobbies I have! :D

TL

I'm an admitted bibliophile. I love to read. But when the weather is nice, I'm doing something outdoors: flyfishing (hence the handle), rugby, hiking, photography, geocaching.

Music is a big interest as well, between slide guitar and African percussion.

And let's not forget cooking! I do almost all the cooking in our house - between baking, BBQ and all things on the stovetop.

Fly fishing, fly tying, running, cycling, and playing classical guitar are my other obsessions. The time spent on each tends to go in cycles. I tend to fish more heavily in spring and early summer but then spend more time running and on the bicycle late summer, fall and winter.

I guess I'm similar to several others; I have jumped into many hobbies over the years staying with some while dropping others. I hunted for over 30 years but gave that up after I put my Shorthair down. I still have several handguns and a few sentimental long guns but the rest are all gone.

Was into collector vehicles for many years, now down to a 67 Mustang convert and a 58 Willys pickup.

Scuba was a big part of my life for many years but my wife and I haven't been in the water since 2001.

My wife and I both like outdoor photography, hiking and travel. I think those will stay with us for the long haul.

I just got into home brewing last spring and don't think that will go away any time soon.

I'm very fortunate that my wife has not only "put up" with my hobbies, but it seems our interests overlap alot. We enjoy doing almost everything together, which is probably a good thing since we've been married for 33 years.

Sad to say that brewing/beer appreciation was probably my first true hobby and I didn't pick it up until I was past the age of 30.

In April of this year I found hobby number two. It's Green, has 4 doors and says Jeep on the front. I haven't even begun to put money into it yet, but suffice to say I could spend thousands if I had it.

Still nothing more satisfying than running 10+ miles of roots, mudholes, rocks, mud, snow, hills, trenches etc... in 4 Low with 17 PSI of air in the tires, in a stock Jeep. The feeling of looking up a hill and wondering if you'll make it, or cresting a hill where you come to the top and are still looking up and then start heading down.

Good Times.

started by getting super into bluegrass in college, learned 5-string banjo, played in a few bands in the old days, now that SOB just gathers dust in my living room... occasionally i'll get it out and play, but not too often...

then came woodworking, sidelined the banjo, got really into making pens on the lathe, that led to bowls, other turnings, which led to flatwork, etc. now my wood shop gathers non power tool related dust.

then came soapmaking, candlemaking, cheesemaking, bread baking, which all sidelined woodworking...

now i can't think about anything besides brewing. everything else just waits for the occasional free day that i'm not brewing or doing something related to it, like getting to schwilled off HB to do anything else...

BUT, brewing allows me to build stuff out of wood, play banjo while making beer, and make bread and dog treats from spent grain, so it's the hobby that can include others.

damn i love hobbies, especially brewing.

i like to hunt, camp, backpack, mountain bike, golf, disc golf, cook, growing hot and rare peppers, BBQ, snowboard, guns and now homebrewing

I enjoy wheeling as well, I run a XJ with an RE lift. The new jeeps are def. nice, is that a Rubi?

Oh, and my other hobby is hockey, I am on the ice around 5 times a week

I absolutely love motorcycles. I'd have to say my favorite thing to do is doing multi-day sport touring trips. Rode down to Monterrey last year for the GP races and it was phenomenal.

I've recently started getting back into riding my mtn bike. I used to ride downhill exclusively but after too many injuries I'm learning to enjoy riding XC/All mtn type riding more than I used to. Maybe I'm just getting old, turned 28 on Sat.

I love racing my nitro RC buggies but I've sorta phased that out.

Although I rarely tell my friends I have recently become obsessed with gardening. Going to try to grow some hops next year.

Hot Air Ballooning. Been a pilot and balloon owner for 21 years.

HeartShadow1.jpg

my other hobby is motorcycles. been riding for 6 years, have ridden track for 4 years and this year i started club racing at willow springs motorcycle club in Rosamond, ca. i started as a novice this year, moved up to probational expert. i just sold my race bike (05 R6) and i am picking up an 09 R6 in a month to make me a new race bike for the 2010 season.

i love motorcycles and racing is crazy insane! im met alot off cool people racing, its a whole another level .

i've told my racing buddies about my brewing. turns 3-4-5 at willow springs are in the shape of an omega, i've been inspired and drunk talk camping at the track to make a turn 4 omega IPA, when i get good at making recipes! i'm supposed to bring some one of these days.

62857511.jpg

78279817.jpg

33118714.jpg

I got into homebrewing about 6 months ago and I'm totally hooked. It has been occupying a large percentage of my free time ever since. My other interests include:

Time spent with SWMBO (of course)
Play: bass, guitar, a little piano, vocals
Fluent user of ASL (american sign language)
Bible scholar/Christianity
Snow/Skate -boarding
Classic film and literature (sci-fi and westerns top my list)
Casual motorcycling (Honda VFR750)
Computer hardware/software hacking (also my day job)
Enjoy gourmet food and fine wine/whiskey
Lots of other interests that I forgot, or are too numerous to mention
I've also been known to light a fart now and again, but I wouldn't really call it a hobby

Drumming, Camping, Home Theater, Car Audio, SCUBA, Car wrenching in general, not working. A lot of this stuff gets put on the back burner for brewing though (and spending time with the family of course).

I've had the life-long hobby of collecting hobbies. Currently keeping myself occupied with:

Volkswagens (I run a statewide enthusiast forum)
Jeeps (wish I had more time to go offroad)
homebrewing
gardening
coffee (manage a local coffee house, general coffee snobbery)
playing guitar occasionally
a general-all around lifestyle of being excessively cheap (it's hard work)

looking to get into beekeeping next spring, always been interested & everybody wants too much $$$$ for honey.

I LOVE riding sportbikes on the track. I'm currently sinking money into an '06 Kawasaki zx6r. I just got back from riding the track at Barber Motorsports. I've been into Porsche restoration for about 20 years and have always had at least one in various stages of restoration. Computers are a hobby/job for me. I also love smoking ribs, pork shoulders, pretty much anything that will fit on there!

Sad to say that brewing/beer appreciation was probably my first true hobby and I didn't pick it up until I was past the age of 30.

In April of this year I found hobby number two. It's Green, has 4 doors and says Jeep on the front. I haven't even begun to put money into it yet, but suffice to say I could spend thousands if I had it.

Still nothing more satisfying than running 10+ miles of roots, mudholes, rocks, mud, snow, hills, trenches etc... in 4 Low with 17 PSI of air in the tires, in a stock Jeep. The feeling of looking up a hill and wondering if you'll make it, or cresting a hill where you come to the top and are still looking up and then start heading down.

Good Times.

Thanks, McKBrew...I can't believe I forgot 'froadin. My first 4x4 was a 1967 Scout followed by many, many others. Presently have three. 2000 Wrangler, 2002 GMC Sierra and the ol' 68 Willys truck.

The only one that does any 'froadin is the Wrangler and they are a blast...

I have a ton but most have been put aside since we brought a house on 10 acres a few years ago and a lot of my spare time is upkeep. But that also has allowed me to further pursure my love for gardening and growing things. I also have a 125g reef tank that is healthy but could use some work but the extra $$ are not available these days since the economy tanked, no raises in years.

I will keep the list just to active hobbies, so:

Gardening
Salt water aquarium
Cooking/baking
Fishing, saltwater mostly these days

...oh, for years I have been collecting cactus and bottle trees (swollen trunks)from arid places arounf the world. I have some 30 years old from just small trees and plants. Just about any strange plant we collect.

I enjoy wheeling as well, I run a XJ with an RE lift. The new jeeps are def. nice, is that a Rubi?

Mine is just a stock unlimited X, with no mods yet. I disconnected the swaybar yesterday by pulling the bolts (no fancy disconnects yet). My Jeep still impressed me and impressed some of the guys with the older models as well.

Let's see...

Whitewater kayaking
Rock climbing
Photography

I have had many more over the years, but the whitewater seems to take most of my time these days.

I do a LOT of things. I like to learn how to do as many things as possible...

But, my main things are yoyoing, cycling and I love beer and learning to make beer. Actually, those really arent "hobbies" they are more like parts of my life, they are my passions.

S#ccer is gay and you should never play it if you are a real man.

oops! let's just be realistic here! It's not S#ccer, it's football! You, sir are a hero! It's all too easy for Americans to play baseball etc. But for an American to play S#ccer? Well that takes a REAL man sir! :D

That just might be the first time I was called a hero... :mug:

Growing up in Ann Arbor you would kind of assume I would lean towards american football however, somehow I got into soccer and loved it. Woops, sorry, Football....

Man, I forgot to add one of the best hobbies. My girlfriend and I have a pug together. He is absolutely hilarious. If you haven't spent serious time rolling around with a pug, you are really missing out.

I play softball, and bowl....I really get into the equipment side of those sports. Naturally love all sports, camping and hunting....thats about it...

is sex a hobby????

Mine is just a stock unlimited X, with no mods yet. I disconnected the swaybar yesterday by pulling the bolts (no fancy disconnects yet). My Jeep still impressed me and impressed some of the guys with the older models as well.

I'm a Jeep guy to. I have an 02 TJ that is slightly more modded... :rockin:
http://www.pnwjeep.com/Members/Myke_J.html

Scuba, cycling (road when I have to, Mountain when I can), Kayaking, Motorcycling, Travel, camping, shooting, reading, stupid computer/network/iphone tricks, small business and home owner. Not having kids FTW!

I'm currently into coin op arcade games, soda machines, candy machines, juke boxes, etc... I rebuild/repair all my machines. Currently in my basement, I have a Donkey Kong, Robotron, Tempest, Time Pilot, Pole Position II, Merit Megatouch bartop machine, poker machine and an old coke machine (beer machine). On the basement tv, I have an Intellivision, Nintendo, N64, Dreamcast plus a few newer systems. In my garage I have a Baseball arcade game that is kinda beat up but its a lot of fun, so the garage it will probably stay. I've also got a Seeburg Juke in pieces in the garage right now as well as another coke (beer) machine. I've got 2 boys and they both love the games as do their friends.. Makes for some interesting parties.. I coach 2-3 sports a year for each of my boys as well..

We are also into atv's. The 3 of us have them, but don't get much use anymore. The boys have outgrown them and last time I was out I fell on my ass so bad I couldn't sit for a week. Almost 6months later and it still hurts.

Before all that, I was into Home Theater. My buddy owns a HT company, so it became real easy to get set up with good equipment. Now the PJ gets used for Xbox, and Wii mostly.

I also like to hack things.. I modded my original xbox, satellite recievers, arcade games, whatever I can find, I'll make it better.

My wife just shakes her head. As long as my hobbies are relatively self supporting, I don't get too much grief. I get rid of some old junk to buy some different junk. My nickname with friends and family has become Fred Sandford.

I have several interests, or as some people call them, hobbies. I enjoy fishing from my kayak, mountain biking, jeeping, Texas high school football. But, my obsession is bow hunting. I'm currently in nirvana with it heading to week 10 of a ten week football regular season and the whitetail rut just beginning.

I spend most of my summers surfing and fishing. I hate the winter and spend it mostly drinking beer. Love snorkeling and SCUBA diving when I can get somewhere the water is clear and warm.

This probably led to my obsession with salt water aquariums. Had several including a 75 gallon reef tank, but only have two now due to other hobbies taking up my "disposable income".

Really into cooking which is a lot like homebrewing in a way.

Thanks to my wonderful wife, who got me a Mr. Beer as a wedding present, homebrewing is starting to take up a lot of my time. THANK YOU!

And then I still have the '75 Bronco that is badly in need of some work.

Used to be big into computers, snowboarded a lot in the winter, got into mountain biking for a while, then started building loudspeakers and then I had a kid. I still enjoy cooking, wrenching on cars, fishing, water-skiing, and woodworking although the woodwork has changed from furniture and loudspeakers to playsets. But mostly I work a lot and play with my toddler a lot - that stage of life I suppose. I'm sure I'll continue brewing for the foreseeable future and will probably get back into making speakers at some point.

My brewing hobby gives me great beer to drink while enjoying a few of my other hobbies, smoking good food with my weber smoker, watching a NASCAR race, or camping in the great U. P. of Michigan.

I love cooking and occasionally baking bread. Road cycling has been a great hobby for me for a long time along with computers. I like building them, breaking them, fixing them and playing with them. Now there's homebrewing and I've just gotten started. I'm 3 brews deep and haven't even tasted the fruits of my labors yet. And I want to brew more! I just need more bottles and carboys and storage space. I can see why my gf shakes her head at me.

Music... guitar, bass, mandolin. I'm a career sound engineer.

Anything outdoors... skiing, climbing, mt biking, hiking

Restoring vintage VWs (most expensive)... currently have a '71 camper, '74 412(look it up) and a '73 bug.

Used to shoot a bow when I was a kid, would like to get back into that.

Drinking beer is probably the hobby I spend most time on though ;)

Mostly Things that go boom. This includes hellfires, j-dams, or daisy cutters, along with some other fine slections from the GBU inventory.

Building and riding cycles, mostly MTB but I have build a few road bikes as well. I currently own about 5 bikes. 2 Road and 3 MTB. I am currently riding a soul cycles dillinger 29er SS I love it!! I raced it last year against a bunch of geary bikes and took 5 place out of 30!!

I used to be big into paintball but since my last knee surgury, I haven't been able to play. So I markers and gear sit collecting dust.....

Being awesome. It takes up a fair amount of my time. It is fun, but don't kid yourself, it isn't easy.

Back