when to add hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmaddux

Reaction score
I want to add some extra hops to a lme batch that has very low ibu's. Should I add early or later? What gives the most hop taste, early or toward the end?

If you at hops in the beginning it adds to bitterness, if you add towards the end it lends to flavor and aroma

For more bitterness you add at the beginning of the boil -the later in the boil the less ibu's you will get. For hop taste you add them about 20min to the end of the boil but youll still get some bittering from them.The later in the boil the more aroma and less ibu's you get but you still get some flavoring also. Best aroma would be at flameout to 150 deg whirlpooling or dryhopping after ferment.

+1 to everything said above...but remember that IBUs only refer to bitterness, not hop flavor. So, you can increase your IBUs (bitterness) by adding more hops early, or you can increase your hop flavor by adding more hops later (which will not change the IBUs much). I can't tell from your original post if you want more IBUs or more hop flavor...or both?

Latest posts

Back