CT Brewers Check-In

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WScott, Assuming you're third stage brewing, I'm the other one listed on the website! it's kind of surprising that there aren't more people listed. What are you brewing this weekend?

--Chris

WScott, Assuming you're third stage brewing, I'm the other one listed on the website! it's kind of surprising that there aren't more people listed. What are you brewing this weekend?

--Chris

Yes, I'm Third Stage Brewing. I'm brewing another batch of my Launch IPA, which was the first beer I brewed in the new brewery. I was using a temporary simplified controller then, but just fired up my 50A Kal clone today and I'm running test boils with it now. Very happy with the system so far! Anyone who wants to check it out is welcome between 8AM and 3PM.

Just so you guys know, Scott is a great guy. First time he came to a brew haven club meeting, he showed up with two cornies with of beer. Everyone's jaw dropped to the floor. It was impressive.

Anyone that is looking to grow some hops I have some 4yr olds that I just moved down from my old house in Maine. I have rhizomes that I need to split off. Nugget, cascade, centennial, Columbus, magnum, mt hood and willamette. I'm in Cheshire- hit me up; not charging anything

Just so you guys know, Scott is a great guy. First time he came to a brew haven club meeting, he showed up with two cornies with of beer. Everyone's jaw dropped to the floor. It was impressive.

It was my first time going to a club meeting and I wasn't sure how much to bring. I felt kinda silly when everyone else pulled out a growler or a couple bottles. Ah well... Brew Haven is great. I felt like I actually fit in. I don't even mind the drive to get there. Just wish I could make it to more of the meetings.

Anyone that is looking to grow some hops I have some 4yr olds that I just moved down from my old house in Maine. I have rhizomes that I need to split off. Nugget, cascade, centennial, Columbus, magnum, mt hood and willamette. I'm in Cheshire- hit me up; not charging anything

Awesome of you to offer this up. :mug:

People take him up on this offer. Fresh hops in your beers kicks ass.

Hartford area here. Interested in bottle swapping. I have SD-Slims Lime Hefeweizen right now.

Awesome of you to offer this up. :mug:

People take him up on this offer. Fresh hops in your beers kicks ass.

I'm like Johnny hoppy seed. Just love seeing hops being grown. I do take beer donations though[emoji51]

Hi all - new joiner, been brewing for about a year here in Darien. Great that there's a CT forum!

Interested in your thoughts on something: I can't find a LHBS in Fairfield County, the only one I've been to in CT is up in East Hartford (Brew Wine and Hobby, a great store btw). Any brewers in Fairfield Cty have any suggestions? Where do you get your grain / gear? I've been mostly ordering online but browsing is more fun.

Thanks!

Hi all - new joiner, been brewing for about a year here in Darien. Great that there's a CT forum!

Interested in your thoughts on something: I can't find a LHBS in Fairfield County, the only one I've been to in CT is up in East Hartford (Brew Wine and Hobby, a great store btw). Any brewers in Fairfield Cty have any suggestions? Where do you get your grain / gear? I've been mostly ordering online but browsing is more fun.

Thanks!

I'm on the CT border. Both of these are great hbs.

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/ (Brookfield)
http://www.maltoseexpress.net/ (Monroe)

Any brewers in Fairfield Cty have any suggestions? Where do you get your grain / gear?

I'm in Ridgefield and have used Epic on Federal Road in Brookfield (about 1.5m north of Costco) http://www.epichomebrew.com/ as my LHBS.

Decent enough range of hardware from pots to books to burners to kegging and plenty of ingredients. They're really good at helping you put ingredients together (extract and/or grain, and they'll mill the grain for you) and happily help you modify and replace one grain/extract/yeast with alternatives if you want to tweak a recipe. And they'll happily just chat brewing.

Before I got my pro job - I used to go to Epic pretty regularly. Usually had anything I was looking for.

Thanks!

I'm in Stamford and usually go to Maltose or Halftime in Mamaroneck. It's about half the distance to Maltose and they're open on Sundays in case you can't make it to Maltose during the week or on a Saturday. Let me know if you want the guy's name/contact info who orders all of the homebrew equipment and ingredients, he's very accommodating.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions, I'm definitely going to check these out! Looking for my next recipe and would prefer to buy local. Cheers!

Don't know about Halftime but Maltose Express is top notch. Great inventory and very helpful. The owners (Mark & Tess) wrote the Clone Brew books and have kits (or will make one up for you) of many of their clone brews. They also recently opened their own bewery, Veracious. Definitely worth the trip.

Maltose sounds quite excellent - I will definitely plan a trip up there. I'm not quite experienced enough to create my own recipe but I can definitely call up a few beers I'd like to clone! Thanks for all the great tips.

+1 for Maltose. I'm in Danbury and much closer to Epic, but I've been going to maltose since I started brewing about 5 years ago (before epic opened) and am pretty loyal unless I really want White Labs yeast (maltose carries mostly Wyeast and dry yeast.) Maltose has a great selection of grains, extracts, hops, yeast, and other ingredients, a friendly and knowledgeable staff, and can definitely help you as you get started. And with the taproom now open next door, my wife and I just really enjoy going to Maltose. Highly recommended.

-John

Hi all - just moved to South Windsor and brew nearly every other weekend - trying to keep up with my new keezer! Cheers.

Hi all - just moved to South Windsor and brew nearly every other weekend - trying to keep up with my new keezer! Cheers.

Nice, I'm in South Windsor as well. I haven't brewed in a few months due to a new family addition...damn kid's taking up all my free time :fro:

Gotta get back at it soon, but nice to know there's another local, let me know if you're interested in a bottle swap.

+1 for Maltose. I'm in Danbury and much closer to Epic, but I've been going to maltose since I started brewing about 5 years ago (before epic opened) and am pretty loyal unless I really want White Labs yeast (maltose carries mostly Wyeast and dry yeast.) Maltose has a great selection of grains, extracts, hops, yeast, and other ingredients, a friendly and knowledgeable staff, and can definitely help you as you get started. And with the taproom now open next door, my wife and I just really enjoy going to Maltose. Highly recommended.

-John

Maltose does carry White Labs. It's just kept in the back for some reason. Just ask them.

I knew they had a few strains in their coolers but didn't know they had more in the back. Good to know if I'm ever looking for something specific to White Labs.

Hi All,

I'm in the Newington area and am interested in joining a local brewers club. Anyone know of an active group in my area.

I'm an all grain brewer with about 5 years of experience, but I haven't brewed much recently.

Hi All,

I'm in the Newington area and am interested in joining a local brewers club. Anyone know of an active group in my area.

I'm an all grain brewer with about 5 years of experience, but I haven't brewed much recently.

Check out the Middlesex Maltsters or the Krausen Commandos. They're probably the closest clubs to you, and all around great clubs.

Or you can feel free to come to Brew Haven club meetings. We meet in Hamden at the Outer Space the third Tuesday of the month at 7pm (this coming Tuesday FYI).

Check out the Middlesex Maltsters or the Krausen Commandos. They're probably the closest clubs to you, and all around great clubs.

Or you can feel free to come to Brew Haven club meetings. We meet in Hamden at the Outer Space the third Tuesday of the month at 7pm (this coming Tuesday FYI).

Most of the Commando's meetings and events are up in Torrington (which might be bit of a hike for him, but definitely not unprecedented in the club!). PM me if you're interested in checking out one of our meetings (the next is in July, we're in one of two weird patches in our annual schedule), and I can put you in contact with the club's leadership.

Just moved to New Haven (Wooster Sq area) from Massachusetts. Has anyone gotten a full water quality report recently? The Regional Water Authority report doesn't seem to have any information on cations (except sodium). What do you all do for water adjustment?

Hey, @carter840, feel free to come to a Middlesex Malters meeting. Sept is in Cheshire(9/22) and the theme is DIPA. FOCCT is also fun and we meet at Brew & Wine Hobby in E. Hartford... next is 9/14. PM if you need more info.

I never noticed this thread before. I live in Guilford. Been brewing since 1992. Member of both the Underground Brewers and M.A.S.H, but I have friends in Brew Haven and FOCCT. I also judge at 6 or 7 competitions per year.

Hey Connecticut Home Brewers. I am organizing a charity event for October 8, 2017. A Home Brew and Chili Taste Off, "BrewChila". Details are at Eventbrite .com, search BrewChila. We are in need of a few more Home Brewers who are willing to donate 5 gallons of beer and serve. Crowd participants vote for their favorite. Cash prize for the top winner in Beer and Chili.
Of Course you can always come to sample as well. For any questions = [email protected]
bc-68370.jpg

Anyone in CT have a TIG welder recommendation? Looking to potentially get some custom fittings welded up for a chiller.

Back