bad turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bklebel

Reaction score
So the last 2 batches I've done its taken my turkey fryer forever to get water to boil. Finally this last time, my dad had his laying around and we swapped it out and it worked twice as fast. As soon as I hooked it up and fired it up, I could immediately hear the difference. With in a matter of minutes I had boiling water. I'm not sure what is wrong with mine? We used the same propane tank so it's not that. Anyone have any ideas?

I've had the same issue with both a turkey fryer burner and a smoker burner.
I'm going to take one apart and move the burner closer to the bottom of my
keggle. I think I'm losing too much heat, even after making some aluminum foil
tents to go around the burner frame to hold in heat.

Well I thought about that too but, my dads turkey fryer burns a lot louder than mine. Seems like I'm not getting the same pressure output as he is. I'm gunna try messing with the fittings to see if I can find the problem.

Two things:

1. make sure you air valve is open.
2. The burner itself has two parts: the outer burner and a serrated inner piece. Make sure the inner piece is loose, it can restrict gas flow significantly if it's lying flat on the other part. I'm trying to figure out a way to put space in between mine without the use of a welding stick.
bcbg10_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg

Is this yours? See the serrated inner piece? That's what I'm talking about.

One more thing I thought about. Is it rusted or dirty? If so, take it apart and clean it well. I've seen that make a huge difference before.

Adjust the air flow on the end of the burner where your hose connects.That should make it burn hotter.

Sounds like different regulator settings. Mine has the big red knob to adjust it, I really like being able to crank it up to get it hot, then turn it down just before boiling to allow me time to skim it. Then I leave it at a rolling boil for it's hour.

I even adjusted our cheap POS kitchen stove to get 'er done. Now I can hear it burning at least...

Cheesefood that is what mine looks like. I think you're right, I'm going to check right now. I'll get back to ya. PS - you people make this forum great.

well after a hour of messing around with it I think I fixed it. I first loosed it up and stuck a screw driver in there to loosen it up, fired it up and right away I could tell a difference. So I tried sticking a washing in between the two and that actually seemed to make it worse. So I took that out and adjusted it a bit and left it. What was annoying me was the flame was higher on the one side which I tried forever to correct. But Whatever, as long as it boils water fast thats all I care about.

I have the same burner. Check the regulator you have. If it is the 10 psi model, you can upgrade to the 20 psi or adjustable regulator like casebrew has to increase the heat output. The 20 psi regulator is supposed to increase the output of that burner from 55 KBTU to 170 KBTU.

Back