Carbonation Drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty 1900

Reaction score
I bottled my first brew two days ago, and have since realised that I didn't put in the right number of carbonation drops - added 1 when I should have added 2 per bottle. What should I do?

Either live with the mistake or open the bottles and prime with the correct amount of drops and reseal.
Leaving it will still carb the beer, just not at the level you want.

Carb drops are a set amount of sugar. For that amount of sugar to be correct you need to be brewing the right beer and use the right size bottles otherwise it's going to be out.
If it's a lager then It wont be right for an old ale.
So it depends on multiple factors. You may well have the correct carbonation.

I think you leave them be. Think about it - if you uncap the beer, add another drop, then re-cap, what have you done in step one? Release CO2. How much? Who knows? Do you then add TWO new carb drops? Probably not - that would be too much.

The good news is that it is usually easier to get a lot of flavor from a beer that is somewhat flat. As long as you have some carbonation, you may find that you like it with less carbonation.

Well this obviously depends on which carbonation drops your using. For some reason I got no carbonation in a brew and used these drops. I only used one, which gave me a real good carbonation. I agree with Bird. Let it be till you know for sure... give it some time and try one:)

The Coopers guy said to go ahead and add another drop, just make sure the bottles are opended for as short a time as possible.

I've decided to have a bet each way - I'm going to open half and leave half alone and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back