Time to pay stupid tax (epic fail)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
All right, it's my 14th straight all grain batch. Everyone has turned out great, equipment is dialed in, mash temps are spot on, even hitting near perfect OG's.
Im starting to think im invincible. I'll start making double batches I tell myself, and share my brewing awesomeness with my friends. So I buy a 15 gallon fermenter off of ebay (hdpe soda container), thoroughly clean it and im off to the races.
Fast forward to last weekend, my buddy gets to his half first, we hook it up to his kegerator and pour a glass (amber ale), it tastes like a mouthful of detergent. I scold him for not rinsing out his beer lines. Then I scoff at him, telling him it's not my beer, mine tastes fine(hydro sample 2 weeks earlier).
Long story short:rolleyes:, I go home and taste my half, and it tastes the exact same, detergenty, smells bad, just nasty. I go to the fermenter and take off the cap and it smells like my beer tastes. Somehow it was cleaned with something that went into the plastic before I got it(I used oxy clean on it) and ruined the beer.
Funny thing is the hydro samples were excellent. So now i've been knocked down a few pegs, and I feel like a turd. Im whipping up a double batch (im using 2 better bottles) of Ed's Haus Ale to make up for the $25 of liquid detergent I sold my buddy.

DSCN1682.jpg

Please feel free to pile on, that's what stupid tax is all about.

Well I'll be dipped. I also bought a 15 gallon fermenter. It's full of OxyClean right now. I'm not sure if expletives are allowed on this board, so you'll have to use your imagination. Thank you for letting be know, Wildwest, before I wasted a batch of beer.

I think we all have to pay the stupid tax sooner or later. It helps us grow. :D

Mine was pitching an infected starter. It smelled funky but I used it anyway, and ruined another 5 gallons by pitching on the cake. I know better now. ;)

Well you could just buy one that has never been used. The used ones are cheaper but things like this can happen if you go for the used ones.

No, he paid for the ingredients. Hangs head in shame. The Haus Pale is on me.

Thats cool that your offering to brew for your mate again. mine have offered to pay for ingredients before but i just like that they like my beer.

Back