Assumptions, are they correct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerrRolf

Reaction score
Just racked my first batch into the 5 gallon carboy today. Here are some observations I made and some assumptions. What do you all think?

1). From the primary, the beer (a red ale) had the look of a cappuccino. I assume this is that hazy, cloudy look everyone talks about and the secondary fermenter will take care of?

2). It smelled like beer, but the taste was a bit mild/weak. I assume the bottling/carbonation will fix this?

3). There is about 4 inches from the neck (about 1/2-3/4 gallon worth) of headspace in the carboy. I assume this won't be too much headspace b/c I had 5 gallons in the primary bucket (of course, not all was racked due to the trub layer).

Thanks in advance.

1. yes, it'll clear in secondary.

2. carbonation and proper temperature change a beer, as does time. would need to see the full recipe to know if there's still potential for 'thin body/mouthfeel' once its aged and carb'd.

3. headspace isn't that huge of a concern, just be gentle, no shaking...no aeration. it'll gas off some CO2 and form a blanket anyways.

I always think that my beer tastes weak/watery before carbonation, but I've never thought that about it once it's properly bottled and carb'd. I'm learning to better judge the flavor out of the primary with that in mind.

Back