Yeast for Peach wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afoster

Reaction score
Im going to start a batch of peach wine. These will be freshly picked peaches from the trees behind my parents house. Looking for a semi sweet wine with an ABV around 12%. What would be a good yeast to use? Ive used Lalvin EC-1118 for most of my wines and this yeast has produced great wine so I may just stick to this yeast. Just wondering if theres a better yeast for the wine that Im planning on making this weekend. Thanks

Andy F.

I have considered using cote des blancs for a sweet peach wine. I am sure you would have better success with this yeast then EC-1118 because CDB is designed to leave more residual sugars then 1118. My recipe book also recommends this yeast for peach wine.

Also I am jealous about your peach trees, I have to buy all my fruit. Good luck!

I've used CDB yeast for pear wine, ended up amazing, it was dry yet just sweet enough, and not as sweet as one would think. Almost 17%ABV as well. I'm also starting peach wine, and will try this strain again.

I use CDB for almost every single fruit wine I make. It's never let me down yet.

+1 on cotes des blanc however the 2 times I've used it, it's has come out very dry. I Would suggest checking it during fermentation to maintain the sweetness you want.

4184 Sweet Mead yeast leaves residual sugar at the end of fermentation, and it really adds to the stone fruit flavor when fermented at 60F or below. I have apple wine fermenting @34F with this yeast and it is still fermenting happily.

That must have been a typo because pretty much no yeast will be active at 34 degrees. You are at cold crash temperature.

As Bullwinkle J.Moose often said, "Thank you Mr. Knowitall." You clearly have never used this yeast, or you never would have said such a thing. Yes it IS still fermenting at 34*F.

I'm sorry sir but I don't believe that you are actively fermenting with that yeast at 34 degrees. At that temperature you are 2 degrees above your liquid being frozen solid. May I ask what you are using to monitor your fermentation temps?

Back