Smack Pack-- how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdp213

Reaction score
I'm hoping to brew my first batch this weekend. I received my kit from NB last week during the high temps, and even packed against an ice pack, both the Wyeast pouch and the "ice" pack were warm. My question, is it too early to smack today (Thursday) for brewing Sat or Sun in hopes of assuring my yeast is ok?

Thanks in advance for all your help, been reading a few weeks now and already feel like I've gained much knowledge! You all rock :rockin:

depends on if it is an activator pack or not. the activators have a ton of cells in them and can explode if smacked and left at room temp for too long...

jdp213 said:
It is an activator pack, does that do away with the need for a starter?

A starter is not neccesary but still highly recommended. Without a starter you will most likely have a longer lag time, 24 hours plus would be typical, and you may end up with a slightly higher FG when all is said and done.

That said, you'll be fine if you just smack it the night before and pitch it in.

TheJadedDog said:
A starter is not neccesary but still highly recommended. Without a starter you will most likely have a longer lag time, 24 hours plus would be typical, and you may end up with a slightly higher FG when all is said and done.

That said, you'll be fine if you just smack it the night before and pitch it in.

I would still recommend a starter. Its a good habit to get into, and i think is even more important with your situation. A starter will get your count up, you will have less lag time, and you should hit your target FG. Its not hard at all. Do a search and you will find a ton of how-to's.

If you decide to just smack it, let it expand, and then pitch it...make sure you thoroughly oxygenate your wort.

Back