Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local course is very blue collar. The beer cart stocks all the BMC lites, Heineken, Labbat and Genny White label. The most craft beer at the bar is Sam Adams Summer Ale, or LongHammer IPA
Once, I mean once last year, I found a SN Pale Ale (can) in the beer kart.
I did a snoopy dance !!!!

Now everytime the Cart Girl sees me she tells me she has no "special" beer. I tell her it is not "special" it is "good beer"!
Now she just calls me "special".
I am not sure if that is a compliment!

Just recently made my 1000th post! Took me the better part of 3 years to do it, but I'm here...

m29xtv.jpg

I'd say that qualifies as high praise. :rockin:

But she dislikes beer altogether so she wouldn't know, and the neighborhood's fine and he's not a hoodlum or anything.
I think she just doesn't want me spending my time brewing for someone else...

Originally Posted by @Kirkwooder:

That beer would have to cause spontaneous orgasms for it to be worth $30 a bottle!

Just had a fun discussion with a mate I did a homebrew collab with. We agree on a lot of flavors and ratings in beer, but when it comes to stout we are from different planets.
I had one beer he hyped up for a while and all I tasted was a proper imp stout put on barrels full of cheap scotch mixed with eastern european moonshine and a touch of cheap tequila.
His comment on one of my favorite Swedish stouts, the place where we are, was pouring some soj sauce into the last drops of the stout I hated.

Honesty ftw!

I wish only the absolute worst for the ****** who filed the lawsuit. If his taste is so ****-tier that he can't figure out how awful Blue Moon is regardless of its marketing and placement on the shelf, then why does the knowledge that they are really a crappy macro make a damn bit of difference?

Amen

Evidently when you get an error on the app that says it didn't post it sometimes does multiple times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The one thing that scares me the most about that article is that the last paragraphs make it seem like they'll go after contract brewers next.

If you like Brooklyn, Evil Twin, and countless others, you better hope not.

OK back to Hombrewing Without Failures, the best homebrewing guide money could buy back in 1965.

The recipes in this chapter are 4 gallon ones, not 5 gallons as I previously assumed, which only increases their horror.

Here's the recipe for Mild Ale (which will be mashed for 7-8 hours as usual)
4 lb crystal malt, 3 lb demerara sugar, 1 lb flaked maize, 5 oz hops, teaspoon salt (it's yeast nutrient so gotta have it), 1/4 oz citric acid, dessertspoon (since when it a dessertspoon a unit of measurement?) of caramel.

He also tells you to mash in a bucket by pouring the hot water in there and then putting an electric heater in the bucket. Gotta have lots of time to mash all of those crystal malts (aaaaargh!).

For the hops you should boil two oz for 1(!) minute and then "simmer gently" for 40 and then add the remaining three ounces and simmer for 10. I suppose with 5 oz hops in a 4 gallon batch you'll get at least some IBUs that way.

When it's fermenting, don't forget to skim off the krausen and then bottle when it gets to 1.005 gravity. Although with all of those crystal malts, how the **** you're supposed to reach that gravity.

So entering in all of that into a beer recipe program (putting in the yeast as English safale, the hops as whirlpooled fuggles, the caramel as an oz of amber Belgian candi sugar and making a wild ass guess about what kind of crystal malt he means (guessing "United Kingdom cara malt") we get:

Original Gravity of 1.068, a final gravity of 1.017(!), an ABV of 6.7% (after he gave a long lecture about how beer shouldn't be that strong), 42.13 IBUs and an SRM of 15.31.

Except for the color that misses all of the benchmarks of a mild ale by a mile.

Anyone want to brew this one? It's for history!

This makes me curious about his instructions of simmering the hops instead of boiling them. It seems that avoiding boiling the hops much and doing stuff like dry hopping, hop stands, first wort, etc. etc. are getting more popular. Could he actually be onto something with his instructions to simmer the hops?

OK back to Hombrewing Without Failures, the best homebrewing guide money could buy back in 1965.

The recipes in this chapter are 4 gallon ones, not 5 gallons as I previously assumed, which only increases their horror.

4 lb crystal malt, 3 lb demerara sugar, 1 lb flaked maize, 5 oz hops, teaspoon salt (it's yeast nutrient so gotta have it), 1/4 oz citric acid, dessertspoon (since when it a dessertspoon a unit of measurement?) of caramel.

He also tells you to mash in a bucket by pouring the hot water in there and then putting an electric heater in the bucket. Gotta have lots of time to mash all of those crystal malts (aaaaargh!).

For the hops you should boil two oz for 1(!) minute and then "simmer gently" for 40 and then add the remaining three ounces and simmer for 10. I suppose with 5 oz hops in a 4 gallon batch you'll get at least some IBUs that way.

When it's fermenting, don't forget to skim off the krausen and then bottle when it gets to 1.005 gravity. Although with all of those crystal malts, how the **** you're supposed to reach that gravity.

So entering in all of that into a beer recipe program (putting in the yeast as English safale, the hops as whirlpooled fuggles, the caramel as an oz of amber Belgian candi sugar and making a wild ass guess about what kind of crystal malt he means (guessing "United Kingdom cara malt") we get:

Original Gravity of 1.068, a final gravity of 1.017(!), an ABV of 6.7% (after he gave a long lecture about how beer shouldn't be that strong), 42.13 IBUs and an SRM of 15.31.

This makes me curious about his instructions of simmering the hops instead of boiling them. It seems that avoiding boiling the hops much and doing stuff like dry hopping, hop stands, first wort, etc. etc. are getting more popular. Could he actually be onto something with his instructions to simmer the hops?
I just might do this!

Desertspoon is probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a table spoon. I think most restaurants offer those with their coffee now.

A dessertspoon is absolutely an imperial measurement!
It's equivalent to two teaspoons or 2/3 of a tablespoon!

In metric it's 12ml approximately. There are books full of food recipes that call for a dessertspoon of something or other, especially from that era. [emoji482]

What efficiency are you assuming? I bet his was lower than what you used. And why British yeast? Why not bread yeast? And/or bacteria that would take it down to a lower gravity.

This is why homebrew has a bad rep!

Two neophytes in a local bottle shop. One says to the other "So we're looking for sour beers. Beers that are sour...I don't know where to really look for those..." Other guy: "Um, so would you say you prefer sour or Kölsch beers?" First guy: "That's a really interesting question, um..." Lost track of the conversation at this point as I was walking up to the counter with my selection. More weird than funny, they just seemed to have no idea what was going on.

Back