Fermenting too cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
I've got a Hefeweizen fermenting, and I just took the liquid temperature and it's 55 degrees. My goal was to ferment at 62. The airlock is bubbling and the yeast is working. Hydrated WB-06 dry yeast was pitched
I took my carboy out of the swamp cooler to let it warm up some. My basement is 64-65.

Should I expect any off flavors or a stuck fermentation?

You may end up with a 'stuck' fermentation towards the end as activity dies down and the liquid temp drops. However, if your basement is 64 or so, i wouldnt worry about it. the liquid temp should rise to meet the ambient temp. 64 is within the fermentation range of the yeast, so it should be fine. Just make sure to give it time, and all will be well.

IMO the beer will be great! I ferment my here's at 60 throughout because I like the clove more than the banana and I also get a nice crisp clean beer after 3 weeks primary and then bottle

If you were looking for more of the banana then you'll probably fall short but I think your beer will be awesome!

Jamil suggests fermenting hefe's cool. In one of his episodes, he mentions that it is typical in german brewing to pitch hefes around 54 and let them rise up to 64 or so.

Update
2 weeks later, my gravity is to target 1.012 and tastes as it should.
No worries!

image-2065677179.jpg

Latest posts

Back