BG 14 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltzie

Reaction score
I have 3 of the BG 14 burners from Agri Supply that are so popular on HBT. While one of the burners does get my keggle BK to boil, it seems to take forever. I have done a search, and cannot figure out what I am looking for. Is there a way to convert it to a high pressure set up to up the BTU's? It does not make the jet engine sound that my turkey fryer burners do. The flame kernels are between 1/4" to 1/2" tall, and blue. I am using what I believe are low pressure regulators (2) hooked to 2 20lb tanks. Is it as easy as switching the regualtors? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Waltzie

You need the burner orifice to match the type and pressure of fuel you're supplying the burner with. If you're using the high pressure LP orifice (which I believe comes stock from agri-supply), then yes, switching out the regulators to high pressure would solve the issue, but it would likely be cheaper to switch the orifice out. The benefit to low pressure is that it's usually cheaper and easier to add automation. The benefit to high pressure is a higher max BTU output. Even running low pressure you can get more than enough BTU's to bring 12 gal to a boil quickly.

Even using high pressure, that burner should run very quietly, so the fact that it doesn't sound like a jet engine isn't really telling you anything.

Edit: You might find this thread helpful-

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/high-pressure-vs-low-pressure-orifice-230907/

switch regulators! i have two of the cheap HP burners (see pic) that work in tandem and they sure sound like jet engines to me. the regulator in the pic is a HP regulator and runs 2 of my burners at the same time with no problem at all. enjoy :)
30295.jpg

64484.jpg

switch regulators! i have two of the cheap HP burners (see pic) that work in tandem and they sure sound like jet engines to me. the regulator in the pic is a HP regulator and runs 2 of my burners at the same time with no problem at all. enjoy :)
30295.jpg

64484.jpg

This is not a BG 14 burner pictured
Juan is correct on the regulator. It should be a 0-15 psi regulator.
Outside is correct on the exhaust, There needs to be a 1 inch air gap above the burner for air intake.

Here's an example:

543236_208297895941221_118448088259536_327839_765867626_n.jpg

That stand looks pretty much identical to mine. I have 2" of space from the bottom of the keggle to the top of the burner. I currently have no desire to go the automated route, just wish to get the bk to boil faster. I will switch the regulators and report back. Thanks for the tips.

Back