high final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfov

Reaction score
brewed a wee heavy a while back. og was 1.080 but it hit some low temps then some higher temps(both still in range for the yeast). at almost 2 weeks it was at 1.060, blamed the cold and kept an eye on it. later that week it was down to 1.040. still seemed high to me, but now after almost another week it's still there. racked to secondary hoping this would excite the yeast a little bit. but there's still very little action. so that's what like 50% atttenuation instead of 69-73? areation for such a high gravity beer was pretty poor in hindsight(shaking), but is there anything i can do at this point to finish it out?

aerate it and repitch the yeast. don't rack it to secondary next time until it's finished. it won't help, it'll just get rid of alot of the yeast. shaking the primary a bit might have helped get the yeast back up. if your temp is too low it will slow and stop fermentation for a lot of yeasts, so keep it in its optimum range

I'm going to have to disagree with the above advice- I would NOT aerate now. The beer would probably oxidize. I would pitch fresh yeast, however. Depending on what you used the first time, a dry neutral yeast would probably finish it up for you.

On top of repitching, you might want to try adding some yeast nutrients. That should wake the remaining yeast up a bit, and also give the new yeast plenty of nutrients to ensure that they do their job.

thanks for the advice everyone. i deffinetly won't be trying another big beer till i pick up an areation kit. i think i'll throw in a packet of nottingham and some nutrients and keep an eye on it, should i make a starter or just dump it in? if that doesn't work i'll try the champagne yeast, i just don't want an extremely dry scottish ale if i can avoid it. thanks again!

Back