Competitors - typical day/tips for 1st timers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
First of all, thanks alot Sawdustguy for all of the info you've provided for what you use on your cuts! It really is awesome that you had no problem sharing that, I know that can be quite guarded info in other circles.

I have questions as to general competition activities/packing lists/tips. I have been making butts for my buddies bar for a bit now. He had a customer this week that demanded that he enter in the Garry Maddox BBQ Competition at Citezen's Bank Park on Aug 13th. Apparently he REALLY enjoyed the pulled pork sammi. So, while I've found (and lamenated) a KCBS packing checklist, I was really hoping to get some insight into what you need for turn in boxes (that wasn't on the list), and well, how to construct one.

What little info I could find so far on this event is that it is limited to chicken and ribs, with a chef's choice option as well. So, from what you've already schooled me on in the sauce thread, I'll need to come up with a sauce for the turn in ribs and chicken.

I get the basics, if turn in for chicken is 4pm, count backward as to when you need it on and when it will be done by, etc. What else am I missing? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking we should get as many of the local guys there as possible, and start passing around the homebrews as well! Come on it's not far from LI (sawdustguy), and even closer to DE (dataz)!

I can't speak from personal experience but I can say that one of the biggest things keeping me from competition is that it is damn near impossible to pull it off alone. There is a lot to do and not much time to do it. Help really is needed.

And I haven't heard about this but if we don't already have plans I will try and make it up.

Sorry for getting back a little late. I was tied up this weekend. For a KCBS contest, you are required to turn in 4 catagories. The catagories are brisket, pork, ribs and chicken. Most but not all KCBS contests start on a Friday with turn-ins starting at noon on Saturday. The first turn-in is chicken at 12:00, the second is ribs at 12:30, the third is pork at 1:00 and last is brisket at 1:30. The contest reps are very good at keeping time and if you miss the turn-in time by so much as 1 second you are disqualified in that catagory. In a KCBS contests the judges give scores on each entry for appearance, tenderness and taste. They are not all weighted the same though. Taste has the most weight, followed by tenderness and appearance. Garnish in a KCBS contest is optional, but without it don't expect high grades for appearance. For garnish you can only use green leaf lettuce or parsley. Sauce must be on the turn-in. You can not turn-in an extra container with sauce. All of the above is in the following pdf file: KCBS Contest Rules. Here are some pictures of turn-in boxes: Presentation Photos.

Remember to put some bark in on the pork box as well. Make sure there is enough nice bark to allow each judge to have a piece. Lay the bark around on the top layer so it looks appealing and even. Also, don't put much sauce if any on the turn in box, a little is good, but you don't want any pooling or obvious sauce application.

Latest posts

Back