Harbor Freight Cut Off Saw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks decent for the price. I have never used it but I have bought things from them before and have been lucky with some. You do get what you pay for but I have had some power tools from there last me years.

What do you plan on cutting? That is important to know before we can reccommend something. If it's tubing, if you want to go on the cheap just get a hand held circular saw and put a 1/16" metal cutting blade on. Or if you plan to do a lot of cutting get a hand held or bench mounted band saw. I love my band saw.

Currently some angle iron (1/8" x 1 1/2"). Maybe some square tubing in the future. Possibly some conduit (light emt stuff). I don't plan on a lot of cutting.
Jeff

I've had that same saw for at least 10 years. The biggest drawback of those type of saws is that the big cutoff wheel flexes a bit and you don't always get a straight cut. But, I have built numerous projects with it, and it's faster than my band saw rig.

my rule of thumb is to not buy tools from harbor frieght if spinning blades are involved.

screwdrivers, castors, tarps, etc. are fine, but something about their moving parts that I just can't trust.

I've bought cordless drills from there and they have lasted me years. And I bought an off brand dremel tool and it was complete junk. Really a trial and error at that place and you do get what you pay for. I know that other chop saws like that will retail for 2-300 easily for a name brand. I usually buy stuff from there for tools I won't need for a long time and sometimes get lucky when they last.

I've had one of those saws for a few years now. It works great, and have used it for all sorts of projects. Make sure to get a good quality wheel to go with it. There's a big difference between the cheapo harbor freight ones and a good one from a hardware store.

I've had one of those saws for a few years now. It works great, and have used it for all sorts of projects. Make sure to get a good quality wheel to go with it. There's a big difference between the cheapo harbor freight ones and a good one from a hardware store.

I've used the bajeebus out of mine. The blades do flex a bit, but I've only used the cheapo ones. But for the price, I'll buy another one. - Dwain

if you are just going to use it lightly to cut angle you would be better off getting their porta band saw. I have one and it works fine for light duty occasional work. If your going to be doing heavy serious work get a Milwaukee.

I just bought one last weekend. Like several of the other posts, I too usually steer clear of HF power tools but it was on sale and they let me use a coupon so even with the two year replacement it was around $60.

Two notes, the blade that comes with it is garbage. I made a couple cuts and it did okay but it degraded very quickly. I ran to Lowe's real quick and replaced it with a Dewalt blade and it's been cutting well. A lot of the recent bad reviews of this saw were of motors burning out. I suspect the problem was the stock blade and/or user error (to much pressure). As with all HF tools, they're usually decent for occasional use but if you're going to use them all the time, you pro should buy something more durable.

The other note, the cast marker in the base for the miter gauge was way off on mine (around 5 degrees). Nothing a speed square and a sharpie couldn't fix, but be sure to check it before you make your first cut.

I have noticed with these type of tools you don't want to "MUSCLE" anything use light pressure and let the tool do the work. yes it may take longer, but you didn't spend $800 on it either.

-=Jason=-

Sounds good. I'll cruise craigslist for a little while. If nothing good pops up, I'll buy this.
Thanks! Jeff

I don't buy much from them after a couple of broken hand tools (I must be really strong).

This site has been helpful though: http://hfreviews.com/reviews.php

Just an FYI, all their hand tools have a lifetime warrenty... take it back if it brakes and they will replace it without any questions. I've only had to take back a ratchet once and they just had me go to the shelf and get another one...

Ha!

Probably won't blow up, but I bought a couple Ryobis in the past. Expect that the saw won't hold adjustments, won't be properly square, won't hold square, and once you think you've got it good enough, will shift when you press the trigger to turn on the power. Ryobi does come in a nice green, though.

Back