The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tottenham HotSpur
LMAO_zps37385635.png

Best commentary: "so THAT'S where all the Spursy has been hiding".

One could make a justifiable claim that Sonny's *yellow* worthy shove was an appropriate repsonse to Lerma's *straight red* worthy stamp (not to mention the abysmal diving and writhing after the shove).

Of course Dier should have already been sent off, and Foyth's studs up challenge was straight brainless.

Now for Chelsea, Arsenal, and ManUre to drop points as well.

As much as we don't deserve UCL given our league form, you lot deserve it less.

Last edited:
Thought Leicester might actually hold Man City today, but they could barely get the ball out of their half of the field.

Started watching Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix, very interesting view into English football for a newbie. I knew basically nothing about the Championship before.

It was probably the greatest match I've ever watched. The Dortman comeback at Anfield was great. Obviously the 2005 UCL final too but damn that. was. something.

One hell of a semi final the last 2 days. Unbelievable stuff. I cannot wait for the final. I must say that I rather fancy Liverpool's chances in this one. Much more than last year anyway.

Liverpool : we've just performed the greatest comeback in the history of the Champions League!
Spurs : Hold my beer...
To be fair, liverpool came back with a 4-0 victory against Messi and Bacelona. Tottenham beat Ajax 3-2, albeit with a last minute winner. Still think Liverpool's win was much more impressive.

That doesn't surmount the difference between Barcelona and Ajax. Especially considering Liverpool had to win by 4 and Tottenham by 1

That doesn't surmount the difference between Barcelona and Ajax. Especially considering Liverpool had to win by 4 and Tottenham by 1
Except we only had a partial match to come back. Away. Yeah, it's Ajax and not Barca, but Ajax knocked out Juve AND Real and have been on a strong run.

Either way, for all predicting Ajax/Barca in the final up as of yesterday, well, I f***ing love football.

Last edited:
He should have to eat the testical so he starts paying attention to what is coming out of his mouth.

I'm still fully registering what happened these last 2 days. I went from feeling this season would once again be empty handed after City won Monday and Liverpool got the news Salah and Firmino are out for the second leg, to sheer excitement over the possibility of a champions league trophy.

I know the feeling.

Fortunately as bad as Spurs have been the last couple months in the league, Chelsea Arsenal and ManUre have been worse.

And our keeping pace with 1st and 2nd was unrealistic in the first place.

Our odds for 4th are high (though I haven't forgotten getting thrashed by Newcastle a few years ago for Arsenal to slip above us), and potentially even finishing 3rd.

But all in for Madrid. I fancy our chances against Liverpool over Barcelona.

I wonder if Arsenal will risk the safety of Mikhartarian. Armenians are in a lot of danger if they go to Azerbaijan. Baku is the Capital of Azerbaijan.

Scenario: as Liverpool, Chelsea, and Spurs qualify already through league, if Arsenal wins Europa and qualify as well and City is banned from 19/20 UCL, would ManU take City's place? Or if Chelsea wins Europa, would Arsenal take City's place? Or would that spot go to abother league?

Report that Hazard to Real is a done deal. This with a transfer ban so he can't be replaced.

Also a different report that Chelsea is seeking to sign Coutinho in defiance of transfer ban. Though I'm less inclined to believe that. Bit said they were confident the ban would be overturned, and published after news broke their appeal was (mostly) rejected.

Now, if that IS true, next stop, Chelski's joining City in a Champions League ban LMAO.

F***ing entitled rich kids think they can do whatever they want.

I'm kinda new to this, but aren't all the top 5-6 teams pretty much owned by entitled rich kids?

I'm not a big a Chelsea fan but admit I do enjoy watching Hazard and Willian. Anyone know if Willian is staying or moving?

I'm kinda new to this, but aren't all the top 5-6 teams pretty much owned by entitled rich kids?

I'm not a big a Chelsea fan but admit I do enjoy watching Hazard and Willian. Anyone know if Willian is staying or moving?
From my perspective...

The top 6 are all included in the highest valued clubs. Total net worth exceeds those below them, for the most part.

However, the key difference is the oil money brought in my the owners of Chelsea and City. This is working capital that allows them to purchase players of their choosing. Of course the player must agree to come to the club but when you quadruple their salary, I think I could convince these players to make the move.

The other clubs have great value but the value is mostly tied up in stadiums and wages leaving significantly less to invest in players at will.

From my perspective...

The top 6 are all included in the highest valued clubs. Total net worth exceeds those below them, for the most part.

However, the key difference is the oil money brought in my the owners of Chelsea and City. This is working capital that allows them to purchase players of their choosing. Of course the player must agree to come to the club but when you quadruple their salary, I think I could convince these players to make the move.

The other clubs have great value but the value is mostly tied up in stadiums and wages leaving significantly less to invest in players at will.

Fair enough, good to know.

As has been discussed on this thread before:

It's telling that all the Chelsea glory memes floating out there start when Abromovich bought the club and dumped gobs of Russian mob I mean oil money into the club. Prior to that they were inconsistent at best and rubbish at worst. "F*** off Chelsea FC, you ain't got no history".

Manchester City is even moreso. Before Sheik Mansour bought the club they were straight rubbish. Lower league rubbish. Then almost immediately become one of the best clubs in the world.

Manchester United and Liverpool have long stories of continued success, and have built it, not bought it with a rich benefactor. Arsenal less so, and they tend to cheat and f*** over London rivals after forcing their way into North London, but apart from fans just as insufferable as Liverpool, if they f***ed off back to Woolwich I'd hate em a lot less.

Spurs are, well, Spurs. Aspiring to be the Liverpool and ManU of old, and do things the right way.

Back