The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So outlook on final group matches

US vs Panama - Game means nothing to US. Panama wins they come in second. They draw they need a draw from the other game to finish second. Good news with a draw, they have a decent chance of advancing with just one point as the 3rd place team. ONly way that doesn't happen is if Canada and El Salvador win in B, and Guatemala wins in C.

Haiti vs Honduras, a win almost certainly advances one of them to the 3rd place game. A draw doesn't likely do any of them good. Haiti would be out with a draw, Honduras would then need a draw from the CUba/Guatemala match, which given that CUba has already had 2 players and a coach defect, I think is unlikely.

Jamaica vs El Salvador - Group Champion could very well be on the line. If El Salvador can best Jamaica and move past Costa Rica on GD or Goals scored, they can win the group, Jamaica with a win wins the group, with a draw has a decent shot of winning the group depending on the result from the other match

Costa Rica vs Canada - Canada must win if they want to make the knockouts. Of course bad results could have them win and not make knockouts, but there's no way through if they draw. A draw should do Costa Rica OK. They can advance through to the next round with a draw as a 3rd place team with the right results, but they'll want the win and a shot at the group title or at th eleast safety in advancing. 2nd place in group B gets 2nd place in group C while 3rd place could get either first in A (America) or C. Probably rather stay in the safer spot, even if a team like Mexico falls into second.

Cuba vs Guatemala - Discussed this earlier, cannot see Guatemala not getting the win from this match. Cuba has been embarrassed twice now, Guatemala took a hit, but a win here puts them in great shape, even if they only go as the 3 seed this is a must win for them and a should win.

Mexico vs Trinidad and Tobago - Must win for Mexico. They don't want to wind up in the 3rd spot because they lost to Trinidad. A draw is semi-acceptable. But El Tri shouldn't be limping to the quarter finals. Like the USA winning the group should be a given for them. Luckily for them though, win and they go through as champions. They should win. Though Trinidad have had a great tourney, Mexico is a much better team and should win. It would be like if we had to beat Panama, we should beat Panama. Trinidad also lacks the personnel to do what Guatemala did to Mexico which was sit back and beat them up. THeir only hope is Mexico is still limping from that game and they sneak in some early goals. I don't think we'll see Herrera sitting back again on Dos Santos. If he does and Mexico doesn't win the whole thing, he could get Bob Bradley'd.

My half time change, pull Zardes for Yedlin, put him wide right, Bedoya wide left, have Morales and Beckerman play deep and let Chandler and Johnson range forward and have Bradley sit right behind WOndo.

I think we're gonna see Dempsey come in, which I'd do eventually as well

That was such a frustrating game. US wasn't great in the first half, but they were about equal with Panama had as many chances.

Overall US made some mistakes. Guzan was great, Bradley is a machine. Beckerman cannot play for 90. Just cannot.

That was such a frustrating game. US wasn't great in the first half, but they were about equal with Panama had as many chances.

Overall US made some mistakes. Guzan was great, Bradley is a machine. Beckerman cannot play for 90. Just cannot.

I agree. But throw on top of that the piss poor performance of the ref. Absolutely ridiculous the calls he was/wasn't making.

Altidore out for the knockout stage. I can't say I'm disappointed. He's not done anything this go around (IMO, he's been lacking since his stint at Sunderland)

I liked the combination of Johansson, Dempsey and zardes last night. Those three seemed to work creatively together.

Altidore has been battling injury too though, he basically hadn't played for a month before the Gold Cup.

Beasley is the oddest pick to me, he hasn't been having a particularly great season in Houston lately (good but not amazing), I guess he could add some veteran presence to the back line though. Personally I like Corona quite a bit, so it's nice to see him get another chance.

Well I think the idea with Beasley is Johnson backup. Garza didn't do anything.

Corona I just don't get though. He's not better than Morales. Not that he's bad mind you, I just don't see an improvement.

Corona does have an attacking spirit more so than Morales though, he's not afraid to run at defenders and put in balls from distance, given that this team hasn't looked aggressive so far in this tournament the idea may be to add Corona as a firestarter as much as for his talent.

So looking at the rest of the table, some interesting matchups.

T&T vs Panama should be fantastic. Got all the makings of a great mathcup as does MExico vs Costa Rica. I think Mexico and T&T both advance though.

Here's how I see the next stage breaking down:

USA vs Cuba
The easiest game to call, Cuba did well to pull one over on Guatemala but this is where they run into a true challenge and well, if the USA loses this one, at home, to a Cuban team without seven of their players and their head coach, we should fire Klinsmann and stop playing soccer. USA wins.

Haiti vs Jamaica
This is a tougher one to call, Haiti gave trouble to the USA, Honduras and Panama, none of which are teams to sneeze at while Jamaica had a much softer, cozier way to the top with the only real challenge being Costa Rica. On paper, Jamaica should win this, after all they took 1st in a group that included World Cup heroes Costa Rica, but you know what? I think Jamaica is looking a little soft and vulnerable while Haiti looks hungry and quick. Haiti wins

T&T vs Panama
Panama limped out of group A with tough draws against all of their opposition in group A while T&T beat up on Cuba and Guatemala and got an epic 4-4 tie against Mexico to win their group. But I think T&T might be spent and their tie vs Mexico was as much about Mexico screwing up (and their biggest remaining star getting injured) as it was about T&T playing amazing soccer. Panama wins

Mexico vs Costa Rica
Arguably the toughest match to call, I think. Neither team has really lived up to its potential so far this tournament, both teams exited their brackets in 2nd off of draws in games they were expected to win. Both teams thought they had a golden path to 1st in their group, Mexico only had to beat Cuba, Guatemala and T&T after all and Costa Rica had El Salvador, Canada and Jamaica. Both teams did very well in the World Cup, Costa Rica had a Cinderalla like run to the quarterfinals while Mexico managed to power their way to the 16 despite having to play against New Zealand to even get to the World Cup, and both teams were knocked out by eventual third place team the Netherlands. But what I think is key is that Mexico is now missing three of their stars after Giovanni Dos Santos went out against T&T, with Ochoa having a downright bad tournament (he saved only 1 of the 5 on target shots against T&T) the missing players will hurt Mexico, and the demoralizing tie to come in 2nd hurts Mexico more than Costa Rica I think. Costa Rica wins

After reading over those predictions I just realized that I called for a total sweep from group A, with the only match not involving a group A team having a non Group A winner. But screw it, it's CONCACAF, weirder things have happened! Haiti vs Jamaica is probably the one I'm going to be wrong about, if I'm going to be wrong about a match.

This slipped past my notice earlier, but this is an interesting article on solidarity fees that MLS isn't paying because it claims they are exempt due to a lawsuit settlement:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...ompensation-crossfire-deandre-yedlin-mls-fifa

In a major way, solidarity payments could change the USA youth sports landscape, the question is whether or not FIFA will do anything and what, exactly prevents MLS from paying out in the settlement agreement. Either way, this isn't a good look for MLS.

Great result, mediocre game. I'm not at all impressed with the play that occurred. Too many unwarranted turnovers, IMO. The U.S. really needs to step it up in the next game(s).

I think the US did good but not great, but it's really hard to evaluate two teams when Cuba is both a relative unknown (we rarely see much of them) and really bad. I fully agree that I'd like to see Yedlin play more, he scares defenses and is very good defensively himself. Corona as holding mid is weird, it worked out okay but I'm not sure how well it would work against a better team. Looks like I'm wrong on Haiti vs Jamaica, as of this moment Jamaica is up 1-0, I can't watch the game because I don't get Fox Sports 2, but according to my Twitter feed Haiti is outplaying Jamaica but just can't put the ball in the back of the net. USA vs Jamaica, assuming it is USA vs Jamaica then the US has a very good record, our last loss was in 2012 for World Cup qualifying, the only time in recent history the US has lost vs Jamaica; in the Gold Cup we last faced Jamaica in 2011 and defeated them 2-0.

I find it hard to say the US was mediocre or not great when they put that level of a hurting on Cuba. It was the same Scoreline as Mexico put, but Cuba did have their head coach and just came off a very positive result. We dominated the game. The only thing we could have done more was be like Mexico and just take it to them and shoot a ton. But I'm glad we stuck within out game. All out goals were great goals that could have beaten anyone. Though I'd assume Johannsson wouldn't have had that chance against a better keeper.

I get it you don't want to be too excited about thrashing Cuba, I get it. But this is the result that should have been, which is what we need. We thrashed a bad team, that's the expected result.

Wow, tough, tough couple of matches to get us the second side of our Gold Cup bracket. What a heartbreaking way to lose for Costa Rica, an incorrect penalty call in my opinion that cost Costa Rica the game against Mexico. Nonetheless, I'd say that the "better" team won, and we have an interesting couple of games left in the tournament. I was wrong in half of my predictions, but hey those were the two games I was iffiest about (and in fairness, Mexico vs Costa Rica was very, very close).

United States vs Jamaica
As I noted earlier, the USMNT hasn't lost to Jamaica since the group stages of the 2011, Klinsmann took over after the 2011 Gold Cup due the results that year. But I'd caution any USA fan from overlooking Jamaica, while they may have had a softer starting group the Reggae Boys did as well as the USMNT did against Haiti and there's plenty of talent (many of whom play in MLS) on the team. But then again, I'd argue that the USMNT didn't put forth their best team against Haiti and that they had a bit of an off game overall, if the USMNT can maintain their form against Jamaica it's hard to see this being anything but a USA win (and I think anything less means Klinsmann is out of a job). USA wins

Panama vs Mexico
Last time around Panama put Mexico out of its misery after, much like this time around, Mexico came in 2nd in its group (behind Panama, no less!), those results lead to the Mexican coach being fired and (eventually) current coach Miguel Herrera being put in charge, Panama would go on to lose to the USA in the final. This time around it's a little different, both Panama and Mexico have underperformed, Mexico came in second in a soft group to T&T, who just lost on penalties to Panama, while Panama tied three times to limp out of the group stages in third (admittedly against the toughest group in the cup); so essentially this is the underperformers face off to get to the final. The question here isn't who does better, it's who fails less, and while I'd love to call this one for Panama, I'd have to say Mexico is likely to win this one; Blais Perez seems to have lost his scoring boots and I think it's going to come down to who can get their offense to click. Mexico Wins

A week of upsets and shake ups have rattled MLS this week, here's my thoughts:

1. The Sounders Fall from Grace...
In a major way, this was a long time coming, the Sounders haven't looked right since that crazy Open Cup loss to the Timbers where Dempsey was suspended and Martins was injured. To many Sounders fan, this is a familiar refrain though, people get injured and Sigi Schmid doesn't seem to have any answers. The Sounders in the last few weeks have looked good, up until the point where they get into the final third of the field, and then nobody seems to be able to find the net (Mears' excellent GotW winner three weeks ago against DC not withstanding) and the most frustrating thing for Sounders fans is that Sigi seems unwilling to play his youth players who are hungry for the chance. The Sounders have played the bottom of the east and the bottom of the west and lost to them both despite good midfield play. Martins may be back next week in some capacity, but the Sounders can't rely on just two players to score all of their goals if they want to do well.

2. ...and Dallas Rises From the Ashes
A month ago it looked like Dallas was slipping, a bad run of form had left them in the bottom rungs of the playoff spots and it seemed like they were stuck there, doing just well enough to stay on the right side of the red line. But with the Gold Cup absences and a bit of luck it seems like FC Dallas has found their way by putting in the young players behind their starters on the depth chart and doing it with confidence (you listening Schmid?). Kellyn Acosta got his first of his career against DC United with Dallas this week, but he's looked dangerous whenever he's come on and it seems like it was inevitable. Dallas doesn't spend a lot of money but they get a lot of results from their young players thanks to their youth-friendly coach, Oscar Pareja. It will be difficult for Dallas to hold on to the league lead with so many contenders out there but Dallas are sure to be around come post season.

3. Okay, Fine, LA Galaxy Are on a Roll
I've resisted the idea that a couple of results equal LA Galaxy roaring back to challenge for another cup, but it looks like now it really is true. With a 5-2 drubbing of San Jose in the latest Cali Clasico, Keane and company look to be back and as scary as ever. And once Mexican DP Giovani Dos Santos arrives it's hard to call LA anything other than the scariest team in the league. LA have put in some truly monstrous numbers at home and if the path to the western final goes through LA it's hard to see it being anything other than another Galaxy star above the crest.

4. Sporting KC Are a Lurking Tiger
Sporting KC's victory vs Montreal Impact makes them fourth in the west, getting them out of the playoff basement and putting them above former top team Sounders FC. The scariest thing about Sporting though is that they're roughly 3 games behind almost everyone, they've only played 18 games compared to 21 for almost everyone else. Benny Feilhaber is having a monstrously good season, acting as playmaker and occassionally goal scorer too. If KC can turn those games in hand into points in pocket they'll leapfrog everyone else in the standings.

5. Portland and Vancouver Trade Goals, Red Cards, Naughty Words
Portland and Vancouver played to a very close 1-1 tie on Saturday, a chippy game that resulted in a straight red to a player on either side, one of them AFTER the final whistle had blown. Jordan Harvey came in as a sub for Vancouver and was sent off only a few minutes later for a tackled judged to be dangerous (I'd argue it should not have been a red) towards the end of the game. The game ended with Portland on the front foot, but ultimately frustrated, after the final whistle some players got into a scuffle, the cameras didn't capture exactly what happened, but ultimately Will Johnson was shown a post match red card. According to what I could find, Johnson used some derogative language towards referee Juan Guzman for one of his calls, if that's true the disciplinary committee might hand him a longer ban as they have in the past for offensive language, usually somewhere between 3 and 6 games. Oddly, this result puts the fumbling Sounders FC in the driver's seat for the Cascadia Cup, the remaining three Cascadia matches all involve Seattle, and the next one is on August 1st in Seattle against the Whitecaps, followed by a match two weeks later against Portland then a final match in September vs Vancouver. If the Sounders can win a single game against Vancouver they'll take the cup as Vancouver is the only team that has a shot to unseat them now, a win and a tie or three ties would also get them the cup.

Also of note, an official date for the election of Blatter's replacement has been set down, February 26th. Blatterhas confirmed that he will not be running as well, so the Blatter will officially be relieved.

Penalty call in Mex-CR game was bizarre. The ref had given a few CR players 4 Final Chances and very stern lectures, then awarded a phantom penalty with about 30 seconds left. It was like he wanted to reward Mexico for being the better team over 120 minutes. Maybe it was a ref's union makeup call for the hotly debated penalty call in the World Cup against the Netherlands. Hoping for a US-Mexico final, although I already told my co-workers that I'll have to switch my El Tri jersey for my US flag shirt.

This next game is so huge. one more win. I'm gonna be in Philly for the final. I need one more win so that I can go there and really support the team. I could really care less if it's Mexico or Panama. I want to win it all. Need to TCoB against Jamaica first. We better too. I really hope Beckerman doesn't play that game though. Jamaica's game is built on speed, he cannot help against the counter. I'd maybe consider going 5 back instead. Put Gonzalez, Brooks, and Alvarado back there. Have Gonzalez be your more forward of the group the one who comes out to challenge. Then I'd go Yedlin and Fabian out wide, then have Bradley, Bedoya, and Zardes in the mid, have Dempsey and Johansson strike.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...BC Sports Soccer&utm_tags=srm[soccer,article]

Articles like this make little sense. Discussing how the US will lineup, trotting out Beasley or Yedlin at fullback, and not playing the guy who's played almost every match (Chandler) I would also assume Evans would play over Beasley as well. Though I wouldn't do that tomorrow.

One thing I will say, they're gonna be at the Georgia Dome, everything's gonna be moving fast, I hope they don't play Beckerman. Go with Gonzalez and Brooks, leave Ream on the bench. Cannot afford to put our slow players out there against Jamaica. And Yedlin 100% must be used this match. If he doesn't start then he has to come off the bench. His speed on that field will be a game changer.

So if I was making the lineup

GK - Guzan
LB - Johnson
CB - Brooks
CB - Gonzalez
RB - Chandler
LM - Bedoya
CM - Mix
CM - Bradley
RM - Zardes
ST - Dempsey
ST - Johannson

If I was building a creative lineup this would be it, but I don't think Klinsmann goes creative.

Back line same
LM - Bedoya
CM - Bradley
RM - Yedlin
LW - Dempsey
ST - Johannsson
RW - Zardes.

I'm so numb from the loss. Cannot believe that I was right. Beckerman wasn't good enough. Real shame we didn't win despite destroying possession and shots.

Poor play from our center backs again.
Have to wonder if there will be much said about Klinsmann. Bob Bradley got fired for losing in a final to a much better team.

Amazingly, I'm more upset about the Mexico win than I am about the US loss.

The US's performance throughout this tournament has been shaky at best. It was only a matter of time before somebody gave them a wake up call.

Mexico (and their fans) have been absolutely deplorable this tournament. Last night's game was the epitome of farce and an embarrassment to the whole region.

Go Jamaica!

So am I understanding it correctly that we (US) will play the winner of this for the rights to represent concacaf in the next confed cup?

Amazingly, I'm more upset about the Mexico win than I am about the US loss.

The US's performance throughout this tournament has been shaky at best. It was only a matter of time before somebody gave them a wake up call.

Mexico (and their fans) have been absolutely deplorable this tournament. Last night's game was the epitome of farce and an embarrassment to the whole region.

Go Jamaica!

I'm in th esame boat. I was sad by the US loss, it was the culmination of iffy play. And in reality, we won on the pitch, Jamaica just took better advantage of their opportunities, we dominated key possession stats, and until switching in Gordon and playing hoof ball, we dominated that aspect of the game. Shots and shots on goal weren't even a littel close. WE should have had 2 goals, maybe 3.

I was left pissed after the mexican game. Simulation leading to Tejada getting sent off, the deplorable behavior of Mexican fans, the not really penalty that happened. I addressed this on another board I post on so I'm gonna copy the next part from there so ignore the segue.

Which leads me to the biggest disgrace about the match. Mexican fans. THeir behavior the entire tournament has been absolutely horrific. CONCACAF hasn't uttered a peep. THey are still allowed to call opponent keepers puto, throwing who knows what at other teams players, those things are just despicable. US Soccer was threatened with heavy violations for the "you suck *******" chant. But Mexican fans have been allowed to loudly chant their hate for years.

IMO FIFA/CONCACAF must address this immediately. Issue a statement to Mexican fans that their actions will result in o nthe field penalties for their team. If they are pelting opponents with trash, the other team gets awarded a penalty kick, if they shine lasers in the opponent keepers eyes, the other team gets a penalty kick. If they shout puto free kick for the other team wherever the goal keepers kick lands. Meaning if the keeper can hoof it all the way in the air to the other box, penalty kick. Mexican fan behavior has been deplorable.

After taking a half day sabbatical (as much because I was super busy as anything) i'm able to put the loss into perspective. Realistically, outside of our blowout of Cuba, this was the best USMNT performance of the tournament, outside of the "hoof it into the final third and hope for a miracle" last 10 minutes or so of the match; Jamaica got lucky and it does happen sometimes. How often would that weird and wobbly header have gone off the post or been scooped up by Guzan? When was the last time a ref actually called a handball on a keeper just outside the box like that? Credit to Jamaica for playing (mostly) good defense and counter-attacking football to get some chances, but sometimes the sports gods decide to take a dumb on you.

The people calling for Klinsmann to be fired on various message boards are, quite frankly, insane. International football is a game played out over years, not months like club football; and unlike club football you can't just hire the sort of talent you want. I don't expect that US Soccer will fire him, and except for the virulently anti-Klinsmann crowd (something that I think is largely rooted in the fact that he's German) most people will forget about it as long as qualifying goes well (though if we lose the Confederations Cup playoff, then maybe not). This, I think, is the last hurrah for the guys that aren't 25 or under that aren't showing Klinsmann what he wants to see, I think the next 2-3 years will be a better indicator of what sort of progress Klinsmann brings.

Oh, and **** Mexican soccer fans.

Back