Flying Fish Exit 16 clone ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, it is one of the better east coast IPAs available.

From their website:
"The beer was brewed with over 1,200 pounds of wild, organic brown and white rice, which helps the beer ferment dry to better showcase the five varieties of hops that are brewed in. It is later dry-hopped with generous additions of Chinook and Citra hops, creating a complex nose with hints of tangerine, mango, papaya and pine."

Anyone know what size batches they brew to give us a clue on how much rice that is percentagewise?

Doesn't sound too tough.

I’d go with 80% pils/pale and 20% of the rices. You’ll have to grind and pre-cook the rice in plenty of water to gelatinize the starches before mashing. Speaking of which I’d mash ~150, do give good attenuation. OG ~1.072

Blast it with hops, primarily Chinook and Citra. I like Columbus to bitter IPAs, and Simcoe and Amarillo are always nice additions (although Centennial and Cascade are always options as well). I’d go with enough hops at the start to get close to 100 IBUs, and then a few big additions right near/at/after the end of the boil.

Ferment with a big pitch of clean American ale yeast. Once the most of the yeast drops out rack onto 3+ oz of dry hops, wait 2 weeks then bottle/keg.

Hope that sends you in the right direction, good luck.

Thanks, I'm glad that you liked the beer! Exit 16 has 1700lbs of Malto Franco-Belge Pils malt and 165lbs of rice (75% White, 15% Wild and 10% Brown) for 20bbls. The hop bill is -

FW- Citra
Boil- Columbus
55 min- Cenntenial
57 min- Simcoe
WP- Citra

First DH- 50% chinook, 50% Citra

Second DH- 75% Citra, 25% Columbus

Casey Hughes
Head Brewer
Flying Fish Brewing Co.

Thanks, I'm glad that you liked the beer! Exit 16 has 1700lbs of Malto Franco-Belge Pils malt and 165lbs of rice (75% White, 15% Wild and 10% Brown) for 20bbls. The hop bill is -

FW- Citra
Boil- Columbus
55 min- Cenntenial
57 min- Simcoe
WP- Citra

Casey Hughes
Head Brewer
Flying Fish Brewing Co.

Best first post ever!

Welcome to the site Casey!

I also used 1056 yeast for this and mashed about 149. Its kind of (actually a really big) pain to brew this beer because of the rice but it neat to do a "rice beer" that has a whole lot of flavor.

Wow this gave some great info on the exit 16. Can you send a little help my way on The Exit 4 hop bill. I love this stuff, can't get enough of it.

I think he came here to post that recipe and never came back! Maybe his spidey sense will tingle and he'll return to answer your question...But look at the post dates :)

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, took a shot in the dark. It was over a year ago and those were his only posts, but I do have my fingers crossed:D

Hey guys,

Sorry, I've been super busy building a new brewery and keep forgeting to post on here. The Exit 4 recipe is

96% Malto Franco Belge Pils
.02% White Wheat
.01 Acidulated Malt
10% (on top of what the total grist bill is) Demorarra Sugar

You want to hit 21.5 plato

Hops are
FW Palisade
Boil Columbus
15 from end Amarillo
5 from end Palisade
WP equal parts Amarillo and Simcoe
DH equal parts Amarillo and Simcoe to a pound ber barrel
DH again a week later with the same.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Casey

Ha amazing! Ask and you shall recieve! I've never had the chance to try any of these brews living in Europe but I might just make one of these since he's being so forthcoming about the recipe!

Thanks Casey

So has anyone actually brewed the Exit 4 with the recipe that Casey posted?
I am just looking it over and plugging it into Beersmith.
When I add it up, the grain bill doesn't equal 100% and there are no details on the
amount of each hop in the hop schedule.
I really like this beer and want to clone it, but I feel that I'm missing something.

Exit 4 is awesome beer.

Actually all of the Exit Series beers have been great.

I live close to the FF brewery and drink plenty of their brews. Before I started brewing their brew was a go to beer for me. I did a tour a long time ago and may have to go there again and see if I can get some more info. At least drink some more Exit 4.

My brother lives not too far from the brewery. I may need to swing by there for another tour and some samples...

Exit 4 is a personal favorite, always in stock at my place. Casey is a great dude, very supportive of the beer scene here in Philly, you see him out at a lot of events, a ****load of fun too.

a man that once loved homebrew and still does... well done Casey... As a Delaware native and a Phillies season ticket holder.. Hall of Fame section 230.. :) I drink nothing but Flying Fish whilst I am there... Love the Exit themes as much as the beers... Keep it up...

How is the rice used in this? I have read a couple different ways to mash the rice. What method is used in this mash? Are we precooking the rice before the mash?

I used my kettle as a cereal cooker, just like how Bud does it. I filled the kettle with water, added the rice (75% white rice, 15% brown rice and 10% wild rice) and boiled it for 30-40 minutes (make sure you stir it quite a bit) then I transferred that liquid into the mash and ran off like normal (I would suggest rice hulls). I hope this helps.

We really screwed this up somehow. I don't think the grains were crushed properly giving us a very lover gravity reading. We added some dme and lme and got pretty darn close and then never told anyone about the screw up. When a friend tried the hydro sample after racking it to secondary, he said it was the best yet. Thank you for your help. It is now in the keg. I can't wait to hear the reviews on New Year's Eve.

fcaseyf said:

FW- Citra
Boil- Columbus
55 min- Cenntenial
57 min- Simcoe
WP- Citra

Casey Hughes
Head Brewer
Flying Fish Brewing Co.

Thanks man. I love this beer. Mike Kane's Head High was my favorite til I tried Exit 16. Fantastic Beer!
Any insight on how to prep the rice before the mask???

Thanks
chris

Back