Soccer Fans Unite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Hand

Reaction score
Any supporters of the beautiful game here? Whether you call it soccer or football? Prem, MLS, Serie A, SPL, your local league? My club is Arsenal, who have been in fine form lately.

Haven't posted in a long while but I had to respond to this. I am a Manchester United supporter. Sadly I don't get to see much action on TV...thankfully there are other forums that help me around that issue. I mainly follow the EPL but, as a yank, I also follow the MLS (DC United). Hopefully I can score a ticket for when Beckham comes to town.

Arse huh? Big match coming up this weekend. Go United!

I was classed as a virtual outcast in Scotland because I don't watch football! Support St.Mirren at a push. I just find the game very boring - it is like watching a slowmotion game of table tennis with the ball going from one end of the table to another. I often think that I must be missing something and I try to watch a game but I just can't get into it. Thats just me though :D

dibby33 said:
I was classed as a virtual outcast in Scotland because I don't watch football! Support St.Mirren at a push. I just find the game very boring - it is like watching a slowmotion game of table tennis with the ball going from one end of the table to another. I often think that I must be missing something and I try to watch a game but I just can't get into it. Thats just me though :D

you're not alone, I can't watch it either.

dibby33 said:

I'm with you, but then again, many think that my sport of choice is boring. I assume, like baseball, that there is much more than meets the eye of a casual observer.

rdwj said:
I'm with you, but then again, many think that my sport of choice is boring. I assume, like baseball, that there is much more than meets the eye of a casual observer.
you could be right. I like watching AFL (Aussie Rules Football) - much more happening.

I actually enjoy watching a soccer game. hell I played for 17 years.

I wouldnt recommend playing for extended periods of time though. Everytime I stand up my ankles crack like crazy. I dont remember a time when at least one of my ankles were the size of a softball. I was a rather "aggressive" player

While I appreciate the athletic ability required to play the game of soccer and have all the respect in the world for the sport, I just can't watch it. It's not that "I don't get it", as I have been told, I just can't, and suspect most Americans just can't wrap themselves around a game that doesn't provide a lot of scoring. Baseball is slow and the scores sometimes low, but there is much more drama. Hockey is similar in frustration factor watching the back and forth, and back and forth, but at least there are fights and sudden death. Basketball sucks! 120-119, give me a break! You only need to watch the last 60 seconds. Which by the way can last 10 minutes! American football is exactly that, "AMERICAN FOOTBALL"!!! The ultimate team sport! Need I say more? I think not.

John

Yep. I've played since I was four (through collegiate level) and there's a reason it's the most popular sport in the world. The US has just not caught on yet, IMO. I'm frustrated that it is so difficult to get channels here in the States that show anything other than MLS, without having a satellite dish or pay per view. (MLS is better than nothing, but nowhere near the level of European soccer leagues). Maybe Beckham will start a chain reaction and others will follow and develop the league into something better. Or at least get some International managers. Anyway, I digress.

dibby33 said:
I just find the game very boring - it is like watching a slowmotion game of table tennis with the ball going from one end of the table to another. I often think that I must be missing something and I try to watch a game but I just can't get into it.

How is this any different from basketball, hockey, etc. American football could be included here if they didn't stop the play every ten seconds to spend three minutes thinking up the next strategy.
But, at least you TRIED to watch it. More than most critics will do.
To each his own...:)

I'm not (yet) a HUGE fan, but I do follow it a lot, and my room-mate and I have ordered Fox Soccer Channel and GOL TV for our house. I am a Liverpool supporter, my mate is coming to Liverpool from CHelsea (who are becoming the Evil Empire), and we both thumb our noses at United. (Any Man U fans are invited to retort by sending me a delicious brew!)

I watch some Primera- mostly Barcelona and Deportivo. Othre countries as they're available.

Cool Hand said:
...and I was gonna guess rugby;)

You would be right. Nobody I know here watches it though and there is just not enough time in the day to watch it after watching AFL, Cricket, horse racing (SHMBO and her side are heavily into pacing / trotters).

I used to do a lot of archery (was on the Scottish Squad) when I was younger and didn't have time to do much else (even beer and woman were delayed more than they should have been:eek:). ...Made up for it though ;)

I do play football. With my dog. He loves bringing the ball back and is really quite good at it. Something to do with being a sheepdog and trying to herd the ball I thinx. Never tires of it, can kick it for over an hour for him. His recovery time is 5 minutes and he can go again. Chucking a stick into the sea down the beach is the only sure fire way of tiring him out!

dibby33 said:
I used to do a lot of archery (was on the Scottish Squad) when I was younger and didn't have time to do much else (even beer and woman were delayed more than they should have been:eek:). ...Made up for it though ;)

Yeah, there's a sport that doesn't mix well with alcohol. Ouch!

They used to put AFL on TV here in the states a while ago, I loved watching but I can't find it on anymore. My favorite team was the Crows, from Aidelaide or somewhere like that. Of course, my favorite player was JARMAN! That guy was badass.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back