My Mash Tun Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimzman

Reaction score
Well, as I've said, AG here I come. I've just finished roughing in my mash tun and am looking for opinions to make it better before it's maiden voyage.

Question #1 - The fit between the copper on some of the some joints are rather loose and I'd like to tighten them up a bit. I'm thinking of sweating them in and then desoldering them in hopes the residual solder will tighten them up. I guess another option would be to put a little dimple on them to hold them together better. My fear is that they'd seperate during mashing/stirring...I'd rather my first AG batch not have any problems like that...

Question #2 - I have not yet slotted the pipe. From all of your experiences, should the slit go 1/2 way through the pipe or not quite half way? I would think that 1/2 way would really weaken the pipe...maybe not though...

Any advice would be appreciated.
Jim

DSC00632 (Small).JPG

DSC00633 (Small).JPG

DSC00634 (Small).JPG

I slotted my less than half way through. I just crimped all the fittings together just tight enough to keep them together. I have not dislodged anythong while stirring the mash or doughing in.

I'll say careful when making the slits. You will find it easy to go too deep. I had to start over on my first length because I was going too fast. Slow and steady. I made shallower slits but I made a lot of them.

I used a pnuematic cut off tool for the slits and they look pretty good. Went not quite half way thru the pipe and they seem to be pretty sturdy yet. I'll buff the burrs off tomorrow and it'll be ready for use. I just realized I need a bigger boil kettle though before doing a full boil...so, i'll be in the market for one real soon...

Back