Building a Sparge Arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninkasi

Reaction score
Does anyone know where a simple design can be found (...with pictures!) for making a sparge arm? I am not very handy but they don't look too complicated.

Is there possibly a thread started for this already? Thanks all.

I made a non-moving sparge arm with 1/4" copper pipe, two end caps, and a tee fitting. Here's a pic. The holes are 1/8", and they are drilled on opposite sides in order to achieve a swirling effect. I keep it just under the surface of the mash water.

4688-spargearm.JPG

Yuri Rage:

How much did your set up cost?

Do you get good efficiency from your sparge arm even though it doesn't spin?

Thanks for the pic! It looks like I would have to do some soldering with your design and that's difficult for me...I have enough trouble buttering toast let alone soldering.:cross:

It cost less than $10.

My efficiency has been steadily increasing with each brew. My first attempt was dismal, the second was just under 70%, and the last one I did was just over 70%. I don't think the efficiency is all that affected by a non-moving sparge arm so much as other techniques (grain crush, sparge temperature, and sparge speed).

Yes, you'd have to solder 5 joints with my design. No, it's not difficult. Do you have any friends who are good at home DIY stuff? It's an easy skill to learn, especially if someone can give you some hands-on instruction. Here's a post with some basic instructions.

That sparge arm looks pretty cool Yuri.:)

Has anyone made a rotating sparge arm?

I want one, but can't see spending $20 on something I can probably make cheaper.

Anyone?

Spyk'd said:
That sparge arm looks pretty cool Yuri.:)

Has anyone made a rotating sparge arm?

I want one, but can't see spending $20 on something I can probably make cheaper.

Anyone?

...also, what is the piece/joint that actually allows the the arm to spin? Would it be possible to make an arm out of something other than copper pipe...maybe PVC?

You might also want to consider batch sparging and forego the sparge arm altogether. In some cases, you can have better efficiency batch sparging.

I'm currently working on a rotating arm for my 20 gal setup. Have not constructed it yet, but have a good idea of what I'll be doing. It will be made of 1/2 stainless tubing. Many 1/16 holes will be drilled on the CNC machine.

Back