Adding Steeping Grains to all Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew Jamil's Kent's Hollow Leg recipe, though it only calls for 8.9lbs of Wheat LME. I would like to add some steeping grains to this recipe but am not sure if what I am thinking is correct. I would like to add a bit of Rye malt for a spicier flavor and creamier mouth-feel. In his book he gives options of brewing the recipe with Rye but it's all grain and I am not yet able to brew all grain, leading me to want to add steeping grains to the extract.

The original recipe calls for 8.9 lbs Wheat LME only.

To make it a Rye version he says to replace the LME with 6 lbs American 2-Row, 3.75 lbs Rye malt, and 3 lbs Wheat Malt.

I input everything into beersmith and would appreciate any feedback, here is what I am running with right now:

7 lbs Wheat LME
1 lbs 2-Row Malt
.75 lbs Rye Malt
.5lbs Pale Wheat Malt

Should I adjust those numbers? I am new to manipulating the recipes and would appreciate any feedback. I am wondering if I should reduce the LME and add more steeping grains? Thoughts, opinions, criticism!?

:rockin: Thanks

If you mash (steep) it at 145-160F 20-60 minutes it will work. Otherwize you may still get some rye flavor (very little) and starch haze. I think you need the 3.75 lbs to really taste it. You can mash it in your brew pot. Rye malt will convert on it's own (no need for the wheat malt or 2-row.)

Back