Allergic to grilled cheese sandwiches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
Some poor sap can't get grilled cheese sandwiches at home, so he writes to some love columnist about it.

Allergic to "grilled cheese" - Love Letters - Relationships questions, advice and more

Q: I am a 30 Year old male. I have been dating a wonderful woman for 2.5 years. I would describe everything about her as perfect except for one thing. She absolutely refuses to [make me a grilled cheese sandwich.] Now I want to ask her to marry me, but the thought of going the rest of my life without receiving [grilled cheese sandwiches] is definitely a worry. I fear I may resent her eventually, or possibly feel the need to seek [grilled cheese sandwiches] out somewhere else when enough time has passed. It has already been 2.5+ years since I last experienced a [grilled cheese sandwich]. It is starting consume my thoughts. I don't know if this one thing is enough to be a deal-breaker. Everything else is perfect. I don't know what to do!

-- [Needing Grilled Cheese], Boston

A:
NGC, have you talked to this woman about why she’s so opposed to grilled cheese? Do her reasons seem valid and specific (past trauma, health issues, etc.)? Is there any room for negotiation? Has she always been opposed to grilled cheese or is it just specific to you?

You must tell her that the lack of grilled cheese is standing in the way of your commitment. I know it’s difficult to say – it sounds so petty and selfish -- but I’m here to tell you it’s a valid concern. You’ve probably heard this before, but disagreements about sex and money are usually what end relationships. If you’re resenting her now, fast forward 10 years. It will get worse.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are awesome. Especially with tomatoes and fancy cheese, like Brie. But some people would rather eat them than make them. And some people are allergic to them and can’t go near them.

But you’re not allergic. You like them a lot. If your girlfriend can’t come up with a grilled-cheese compromise, yes, to quote the wise Liz Lemon, this may be a deal breaker, ladies. Is the rest of her perfect enough to balance the sexual incompatibility?

Readers? Am I wrong? Can one live without grilled cheese if it’s their favorite food? Should a 30-year-old have to make that sacrifice? Share your thoughts here. And remember -- be respectful, G-rated, and thoughtful. Not like I need to ask. You guys are pros.

-- Meredith

The comments to the answer are freakin hilarious!

I haven't had a grilled cheese sandwich made for me in ages. :(

In this day and age, a grilled cheese sandwich is EXPECTED in any marital household. If she's not willing to make one, the husband is perfectly justified in heading down to the local truck stop to see if he can get one from that waitress.

EDIT: I should day, too, that while grilled cheese is expected, a husband CANNOT expect his wife to make him a peanut butter-and-jelly. That takes a lot of convincing and, uh... the use of plenty of jelly.

Why does teh response not once mention to this guy to get off his ass and make himself a grille cheese sandwhich!!
I want a F'in grilled cheese now damnit.

When this letter arrived in my Love Letters InBox, it was too risqué to post on Boston.com
Risque? WTF?

OH I get it now! So no, he should not make his own sandwhich!! But I would still love a grilled cheese! Haven't had one for a LONG time!

Why does teh response not once mention to this guy to get off his ass and make himself a grille cheese sandwhich!!

[quote meredith]When this letter arrived in my Love Letters InBox, it was too risqué to post on Boston.com [\quote]
Risque? WTF?

Grilled cheese sandwiches are a metaphor....

I'd make myself a grilled cheese but I can't bend that far.....:D

Now, that's funny right there. I still think I need to drag this off to DRMM, though. I mean, it's going to go down (hill) pretty quickly.

Haha- I crack me up.

That's good stuff. The comments are great. Sure glad my lady makes a good grilled cheese.

You cannot understate the importance of a grilled cheese sandwich. Of course, a well made tuna fish sandwich must be offered in return.

I used to have an old girlfriend who made me grilled cheese every time she came over. And man did she love the cheese!! Never needed a napkin. Unfortunately I went to make her a sandwich one day and realized her can of Starkist was past expiration. Never again.

Tuna Sandwiches are great thing to start an evening with, but nothing beats a grilled cheese. Now if only she would let me have her reese's piece once in a while...

Calm down there Veruca Salt, you can't have the golden egg. He probably has tried multiple times to make himself a grilled cheese. Frankly I too could go for a grilled cheese about now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, that's funny right there. I still think I need to drag this off to DRMM, though. I mean, it's going to go down (hill) pretty quickly.

Haha- I crack me up.

Oops, I thought I put it in DRMM in the first place. You're a good cook, right yooper? I'm sure you make excellent grilled cheese sandwiches.

usually a nice grilled cheese sandwhich can be had while massaging the breads shoulders... uh, yay . i think thats right

Oops, I thought I put it in DRMM in the first place. You're a good cook, right yooper? I'm sure you make excellent grilled cheese sandwiches.

I have heard around these parts that Yoop makes one of the best grilled cheeses.

I make PHENOMENAL grilled cheese sandwiches. I think it's because I just love to cook. Quick meals; long slow meals; a quick sandwich on the run- it's all good. I really think that sometimes a plain old grilled cheese is just great as a starter- other times, you may want a more deluxe version with some condiments. It's all part of the fun of being a creative cook.

I make PHENOMENAL grilled cheese sandwiches. I think it's because I just love to cook. Quick meals; long slow meals; a quick sandwich on the run- it's all good. I really think that sometimes a plain old grilled cheese is just great as a starter- other times, you may want a more deluxe version with some condiments. It's all part of the fun of being a creative cook.

And that is why you rock:mug:

Toothless farm animals can be taught to make grilled cheese sandwiches. A good goat will do that....I've heard.

Thread of the day, hands down. My mouth's watering for grilled cheese, now. (Receiving, not giving, ya dirty mongrels :p)

The euphemistic lines are wearing thin.

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. Surely everyone likes a good grilled cheese sandwich every now and again. Some people like it with tomato soup, but I don't.

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. Surely everyone likes a good grilled cheese sandwich every now and again. Some people like it with tomato soup, but I don't.

I hate tomato soup. I think it's an age thing. I'm really too old for tomato soup, so I've outgrown it.

Bob likes grilled cheese, but it's not his favorite item on the menu. I think it's just a matter of personal taste, you know?

I know a guy that likes to dip his grilled cheese IN the tomato soup, not me though.

SWMBO makes grilled cheese sandwiches only on my Birthday and anniversary. Now I would like to eat them way more often, but only getting them a couple of times a year makes them taste even better.

(on a funny side not, she made me an actual factual grilled cheese for lunch today)

I hate tomato soup. I think it's an age thing. I'm really too old for tomato soup, so I've outgrown it.

Bob likes grilled cheese, but it's not his favorite item on the menu. I think it's just a matter of personal taste, you know?

Yooper could be the coolest woman I have ever met :ban::rockin:

My ex wife used to LOVE to make grilled cheese sandwiches. She must have made them for me two or three times a week. The reason she is now my ex wife is I found out she was making grilled cheese sandwiched for half of the men in town. I think of myself as a nice enough guy, but I will NOT share my grilled cheese sandwiches with anybody :mad:

Do you realize that a hermaphrodite contortionist could make there own tuna melt? I need pics...........maybe not.

I showed this tread to SWMBO, she got a good laugh about it..... then last night we made each other a grilled cheese sandwich right before bed :ban:

SWMBO has that problem too, but she gags when the thought of a grilled cheese comes to mind. If I dangle a grilled cheese in front of her she starts to cry a little inside.

Back