First Homemade Soda - Cinnamon Flavored

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Blow Leprechaun

Reaction score
I went ahead and took a crack at making soda. I bought a 2 liter bottle of coke and when it was finished, sanitized it with a bleach solution and proceeded to brew up my soda mix.

I based what I was doing off the Pop Art BYO article,
  • 2.25 liters water
  • 1/2 cup table sugar
  • 4 tablespoons lemon juice
Boiled for 15 minutes. I added one cinnamon stick for the duration of the boil and used your everyday average bread yeast to ferment. I poured everything into the 2L bottle, including the cinnamon stick, and topped up with bottled spring water.

I went with bread yeast because I don't want to have to go to my HBS every time I want to make soda, so if I didn't like how it tasted with bread yeast, I wasn't going to bother continuing with it.

The results:
It has a very sour smell, basically it smells like bread yeast. This had me very concerned before I tasted it, but I needn't be concerned. There's maybe a very slight bread yeast flavor to it, but not much. The cinnamon flavor is extremely mild. If I do this one again, I will definitely increase the amount of cinnamon I use, maybe even grind it to improve the extraction of flavors.

All in all, it worked nicely. The bottle was rock hard 13 hours after pitching the yeast, and I stuck it in the fridge.

I hadn't thought of cinnamon soda. Nice idea!

I wonder if a little orange peel in your boil would be nice.

This could lead to some new ideas for me! :)

Keep updating!

I'm really happy with making my own soda... not only does it let me avoid high fructose corn syrup a little more, it lets me do all kinds of crazy stuff.

I'm planning to do an amaretto soda one of these days, but I'm doing lime next (got some homemade lime extract I made for a beer that I want to use up).

I'm really happy with making my own soda... not only does it let me avoid high fructose corn syrup a little more, it lets me do all kinds of crazy stuff.

I'm planning to do an amaretto soda one of these days, but I'm doing lime next (got some homemade lime extract I made for a beer that I want to use up).

Oh great...Just what we need another Soda Magnate coming up with weird stuff...Isn't one enough? :D

2006_11_23_L.jpg

Seriously though, Congrats!!!!

One idea that you might want to consider...My nephew makes snhapps and uses Jolly Rancher candies as his flavoring (his apple pucker and his cinammon is the bomb!) He melts them down in a double boiler then mixes them with his liquor base...You could try melting any flavored hard candies down that way, Butterscotch, Blueberry Suckers, basically anything made with hard flavored sugar...

Keep us posted.

Sounds like you made a nice soda man. I've never made soda, but it sounds fun. I'd love to see a picture sometime if you took any.

One idea that you might want to consider...My nephew makes snhapps and uses Jolly Rancher candies as his flavoring (his apple pucker and his cinammon is the bomb!) He melts them down in a double boiler then mixes them with his liquor base...You could try melting any flavored hard candies down that way, Butterscotch, Blueberry Suckers, basically anything made with hard flavored sugar...
That's a really great idea... I'll probably give that a shot.
Sounds like you made a nice soda man. I've never made soda, but it sounds fun. I'd love to see a picture sometime if you took any.
It looks pretty ugly, actually. The lemon juice for the acid made the whole thing look like an extremely pale lemonade. It doesn't taste like lemon, but it looks it. If I were going to make soda for a special event, I'd absolutely use champagne yeast and probably some food coloring. And if it were really special, I'd look into using an acid blend instead of lemon juice.

But I'm doing this cuz I want soda without HFCS mostly, so I'm not really trying to impress anyone ;)

Did you go any further with this? Definitely a "why didn't I think of it" idea.

Sadly, I haven't done much soda making for a while! I have some cinnamon extract I got on clearance that I might turn to for another attempt at cinnamon soda, but this weekend I'm in beer mode!

I know this thread is over 4 years old, but...

It just so happens that I made cinnamon soda over the weekend (before I saw this thread). I used three good-sized cinnamon sticks and a touch of nutmeg in a liter of water, boiled and steeped that for a long while, then chilled it overnight. Made it into 2 liters.

It's a good cinnamon flavor, but not quite right for a soda. We even tried mixing a little citric acid in with it, but that didn't quite do it, either. The bottom of the bottle had some sediment that made it much stronger, which was actually quite good.

(Yes, it's a very old thread. I'm working my way back through all of the soda threads and couldn't resist the coincidental timing of this discovery.)

Hi
i have sodastream and i bought flavors from http://soda-mix-flavors.com/
the flavors are really great and same as the original taste,
try the energy drink and coke and you find that its very good,
so i think that its great thing to use the sodastream.
also have special taste, i dont have time to make it my self so i buy flavors.

Latest posts

Back