Oldest ice wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damlamb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I moved in September and the previous owners were hoarders and left us a house full of mostly junk. Amongst the chaos I found a box with a niagara ice wine collection. All vintages from 1989-1992. So over the weekend we were celebrating announcing that our first born will be a boy according to the ultrasound. I decided to pop one open with a friend to see what I should expect from the rest of the bottles. To our surprise the wine was still delicious. It had a brownish/amber look which surprised me because the label appears to say "vidal ice wine" which usually is a light colour. It was from Jackson Triggs Niagara. The other bottles are from various vineyards in the Niagara region. Has anyone else ever had ice wine this old and is it possible for the colour to darken so significantly over time? Also the cork had some pretty serious wine crystals growing on the underside.

Dang, that is cool man. I bought a hoarder house once too and all I got was a bunch of Christian song books from like 1840.

Ice wine handles ageing well due to the higher sugar and preservatives, it may oxidize over time, but worth a try if it smells good than worth a taste, and you are lucky to get to try it. one of the oldest icewines you will find in Niagara will be from inniskillin (sp), they were the first to do it in large scale in Niagara. The first vintage attempted was not ever produced (birds ate all the fruit) first produced vintage was 1984 (i have seen a few unopened bottles of it still in existance). The wine crystals are just tartaric acid that does precipitate out over time.

Back