sight glass material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddroukas

Reaction score
I've added a sight glass to my boil keggle; my concern, however, is if the material I used will melt under high temp. The sight glass I ordered from Northernbrewer back in the day for my HLT appeared to be a cut racking cane, so I did the same with my DIY boil keggle sight glass. The HLT one has held up fine but has only seen temps around 190°F at max.

Am I correct that the NB sight glass is the same material as a generic racking cane, and can they stand boiling temps in the installed compression fitting arrangement?

I've added a sight glass to my boil keggle; my concern, however, is if the material I used will melt under high temp. The sight glass I ordered from Northernbrewer back in the day for my HLT appeared to be a cut racking cane, so I did the same with my DIY boil keggle sight glass. The HLT one has held up fine but has only seen temps around 190°F at max.

Am I correct that the NB sight glass is the same material as a generic racking cane, and can they stand boiling temps in the installed compression fitting arrangement?

I do know my generic racking cane melted when I used it to siphon hot wort.

Back