Some recipe criticism

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrose_Balin

Reaction score
This is slightly adapted from a recipe available at a local homebrew shop. I'm still a total noob and wanted to get some criticism before we went ahead with this brew.

Black Patent malt 1lb
Chocolate malt 1lb
2 rows 1lb
Light liquid extract 5.75 lbs

lactose 1lb

Nugget 1 oz pellet

Mash for 1 hour at 150 degrees (BIAB) 2 gallons
Sparge with 1 gallon 170 degree

Boil (3 gallons) and add liquid extract
Nugget - 60 minutes
Lactose - 10 minues

Add water to bring to 5 gallons. Pitch Cooper's dry ale yeast.

Is there anything that you guys might recommend I change about the above?
Thanks a lot!

The original recipe called for .75 and .25 pounds chocolate and patent. It also called for 7lbs extract and no 2 rows. I am mostly curious if changing the grain bill the way I have will be a tragic error. Thank you for any advice!

I don't know that you need 2 row. 2 row is a base malt that doesn't offer much flavor. It is used in all grain brewing as the main source of enzymes to give the yeast sugar to eat. Since you're using LME, the only grains you'll be using are specialty grains to give you their flavor.
I say scratch the 2 row.

It would be nice to know the style you are trying for. This looks to be maybe a milk stout?

That being said, it seems like an excessive amount of BP malt. I can imagine a very burnt taste and certainly not in the milk stout profile.

Now, if you are substituting grains for LME, then you are well below what I would shoot for. I recommend getting a brewing program like ProMash or BeerSmith.

i agree in nixing the 2-row, its kinda a waste of time if you're only using 1lb since the BP and choc malts dont need the enzymes. same goes for the BP, thats a pretty high amount for it.
id also recommend getting a better yeast, coopers kinda sucks. if you want to stick with dry yeast, id go with nottingham or fermentis US-05 instead

I am mostly curious if changing the grain bill the way I have will be a tragic error. Thank you for any advice!

Yes. Way too much Black patent. Stick with the original recipe and forget the 2 row. You only need to steep the chocolate and BP for 1/2 hour.

Actually I like coopers yeast in stouts.

Back