attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutcase

Reaction score
I just brewed two beers a few weeks ago using white labs cal ale and a kolsch ale. I made 1500 ml starters with both. The Cal ale got 86% apparent attentuation and the kolch 84%. This is alot higher than listed attenuation for both. I mashed both a little on the low side - 149 for the cal ale and 152 for the kolch - but doesnt this attenuation seems a little much even for the low mash temps. Could other factors be at work? (ie, wild yeasts or otehr contaminants?). I ended up with a 1.008 FG on an IPA and a 1.009 FG on a pale. Much dryer than I was shooting for on both.

temperature of the fermentation is also a factor, the higher the temps, the quicker the ferment and the better attenuation, but at the cost of potential off flavors. Sometimes you just get fresher yeast and it does a better job than it would have if it was a little older, i.e. better healthier yeast population. Or so it seems I've gleaned from my reading :)

temperature of the fermentation is also a factor, the higher the temps, the quicker the ferment and the better attenuation, but at the cost of potential off flavors. Sometimes you just get fresher yeast and it does a better job than it would have if it was a little older, i.e. better healthier yeast population. Or so it seems I've gleaned from my reading :)

to add a little more info- both beers were fermented at 68 degrees. I'm just surprised by the high attenuation and wondering if it might be a sign that something more sinister might be involved.

I've never gotten less than 80% from Chico yeast, even with scads of crystal.

RDWHAHB, literally -- if the beer tastes good, and you can repeat it, great! If it tastes too dry and thin, try mashing higher next time.

My high gravity IPA (1.084) attenuated at about 85% w/ WLP001, also using a starter.

Those ranges published by White Labs are just that....ranges. You can exceed them w/ ideal conditions such as a healthy pitch and a well aerated wort.

Better than having the opposite situation, no?

Back