Just four words from Alabama...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intheswamp

Reaction score
Roll Tide!!!!!!
Go Bama!!!!!!!!!!!

crimsontide.jpg

This game is too easy for them?...isn't that the #1 team in the nation Bama's playing? Of course, what can you expect from a team whose mascot is an elf dressed in green. ;)

So, what conference are you a fan of...the ACC? :D

ROLL TIDE!!!!!
GO BAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed

I don't like Alabama, but I certainly respect them. I'm from a SEC team so I'm rooting for my "family" tonight. Btw I think several teams from the SEC could beat Notre Dame.

I don't like Alabama, but I certainly respect them. I'm from a SEC team so I'm rooting for my "family" tonight. Btw I think several teams from the SEC could beat Notre Dame.

The SEC is still the best football conference but the gap hasn't been this close in a decade. This has been the only easy win the SEC has had in the bowls so far.

I am a UMiami grad. So no, I am not an SEC fan.

With that being said, there are only a few teams out there that can beat an SEC team and ND wasn't one of them. Let's be honest, they had a significantly easier schedule than 'Bama comparatively.

You know why ND can't keep up? Because they haven't seen a team like 'Bama all year...

I really didn't care who won, I quit watching end of the first quarter, it looked to be over then

Not that it has anything to do worth the game, buy Mccarron's girlfriend is very easy on the eyes.

Can someone explain the elephant wtf does that have to do with tides red white or Alabama?

The Elephant

There are two stories, perhaps both true, about how Alabama's football squad became associated with the elephant, both dating to the coaching tenure of Wallace Wade (1923–1930).

The earliest account attributes the Rosenberger's Birmingham Trunk Company for the elephant association. Owner J. D. Rosenberger, whose son was a student at the University, outfitted the undefeated 1926 team with "good luck" luggage tags for the trip to the 1927 Rose Bowl. The company's trademark, displayed on the tags, was a red elephant standing on a trunk. When the football team arrived in Pasadena, the reporters greeting them, including syndicated columnist Grantland Rice, associated their large size with the elephants on their luggage.[1] When the 1930 team returned to the Rose Bowl, the company furnished leather suitcases, paid for by the Alumni Association, to each team member.[2]

Another story dates to 1930. Following the October 4 game against Ole Miss, Atlanta Journal sports writer Everett Strupper wrote:

"At the end of the quarter, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. Some excited fan in the stands bellowed, 'Hold your horses, the elephants are coming,' and out stamped this Alabama varsity. It was the first time that I had seen it and the size of the entire eleven nearly knocked me cold, men that I had seen play last year looking like they had nearly doubled in size."

Sports writers continued to refer to Alabama as the "Red Elephants" afterward, referring to their crimson jerseys. The 1930 team shut out eight of ten opponents, allowing a total of only 13 points all season. The "Red Elephants" rolled up 217 points that season, including a 24-0 victory over Washington State in the Rose Bowl.

Despite these early associations of the elephant to the University of Alabama, the university did not officially accept the elephant as university mascot until 1979.[3]

Alabama's elephant mascot is known as "Big Al."

--Wikipedia

Can someone explain the elephant wtf does that have to do with tides red white or Alabama?

Wiki has some information, Punity...Big Al had a good time last night! :D

The Elephant

There are two stories, perhaps both true, about how Alabama's football squad became associated with the elephant, both dating to the coaching tenure of Wallace Wade (1923–1930).

The earliest account attributes the Rosenberger's Birmingham Trunk Company for the elephant association. Owner J. D. Rosenberger, whose son was a student at the University, outfitted the undefeated 1926 team with "good luck" luggage tags for the trip to the 1927 Rose Bowl. The company's trademark, displayed on the tags, was a red elephant standing on a trunk. When the football team arrived in Pasadena, the reporters greeting them, including syndicated columnist Grantland Rice, associated their large size with the elephants on their luggage.[1] When the 1930 team returned to the Rose Bowl, the company furnished leather suitcases, paid for by the Alumni Association, to each team member.[2]

Another story dates to 1930. Following the October 4 game against Ole Miss, Atlanta Journal sports writer Everett Strupper wrote:

"At the end of the quarter, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. Some excited fan in the stands bellowed, 'Hold your horses, the elephants are coming,' and out stamped this Alabama varsity. It was the first time that I had seen it and the size of the entire eleven nearly knocked me cold, men that I had seen play last year looking like they had nearly doubled in size."

Sports writers continued to refer to Alabama as the "Red Elephants" afterward, referring to their crimson jerseys. The 1930 team shut out eight of ten opponents, allowing a total of only 13 points all season. The "Red Elephants" rolled up 217 points that season, including a 24-0 victory over Washington State in the Rose Bowl.

Despite these early associations of the elephant to the University of Alabama, the university did not officially accept the elephant as university mascot until 1979.[3]

Alabama's elephant mascot is known as "Big Al." Big Al is the costumed mascot of the University of Alabama Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

The origin of the mascot dates back to 1930. On October 8, a sportswriter wrote about the previous weekend's Alabama-Ole Miss football game. The writer, using the flair for the dramatic common in sportswriting at the time, wrote that an anonymous fan yelled out "Hold your horses, the elephants are coming!" upon hearing the rumble of the first team coming on the field. The name stuck throughout what became a national championship season and beyond.

Melford Espey, Jr., then a student, was the first to wear an elephant head costume to portray the Crimson Tide's mascot in the early 1960s. Espey later became a university administrator and Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant asked him to take responsibility when student groups asked to resurrect the costumed mascot in the late 1970s.[1]

The costumed "Big Al" mascot officially debuted at the 1979 Sugar Bowl, when the Tide beat Penn State University for the national championship. Since then, the mascot has been a fan favorite for the Tide fans. As the Crimson Tide do not have a logo on their helmets or uniforms, Big Al's likeness appears on much team merchandise and such.

Big Al was named by student vote.
=================================================
ETA: birdroad was a tad quicker than I was. :)

This game is too easy for them. I am not an SEC fan at all....

So... You're not an SEC fan because they're good? Or are those just two unrelated sentences? Because it seems like you're saying, "This is too easy for them (they're obviously a good team) therefore, I am not a fan."

@TheZymurgist I am a proud grad of UMiami so I am not an SEC fan. But I can still respect good teams and I knew that ND wasn't going to compete with 'Bama.

Also, being a UMiami fan, I have a deep rooted hatred of ND!

With that being said, I don't understand why only SEC team fans are such fans of their entire Conference. No other conference has that going on. Honestly, it seems a bit odd... The SEC has been great for the last 7-10 years, but there are much more storied conferences that don't have team fans that are also conference fans. Its almost like the lesser SEC team fans live vicariously through the top 3 SEC teams.

Good game for Alabama.

Mercer is restarting football, FCS, next year Even though Mercer's first and last football games were victories over Georgia, expect Mercer to be the worst in Division I. They will be the worst in the Pioneer Conference which is the worst conference in Division I. Out of 246 Division I teams, Sagarin rates the Pioneer teams:
#189 San Diego
#192 Drake
#211 Jacksonville
#213 Dayton
#216 Butler
#229 Marist
#230 Morehead State
#244 Davidson
#245 Valparaiso
#246 Campbell

IOW, Pioneer dominates the bottom of the rankings as the SEC dominates the top of the rankings.

OTOH, in a lesser sport, Mercer did beat Alabama in basketball this year at Alabama.

And our legislature supports homebrewing.

The SEC has been great for the last 7-10 years, but there are much more storied conferences that don't have team fans that are also conference fans. Its almost like the lesser SEC team fans live vicariously through the top 3 SEC teams.

I'm not really a SEC fan, Southern Miss grad, and really hate Bama, but was pulling for them last night. Why, because I am from the South and am proud we have some of the best football in the nation. That is why SEC fans can hate each other but still pull for each other against other teams from other places.

And try the last 70 year instead of 7

The 7-10 year time frame was for their "dynasty" like era now. The SEC has definitely been a powerhouse for nearly 100 years.

At the same time FL, TX, CA, and PA are the biggest football talent producing states in the Union, and that doesn't mean the "South" doesn't produce but there has to be another reason why SEC fans are so oddly connected...

I laughed when they made the remark about the youngsters getting out back and throwing the football with "pop". Ain't that the truth!!!! ;)

But, what I don't understand is what the article meant when it wrote "Meanwhile, most of America got a little grossed out." I dunno, but if I had a young son I'd be happy if he wanted me to toss the football with his mind on becoming a quarterback and getting a nice looking lady like that for a girlfriend. I certainly don't see something to get grossed out about. :confused:

Ed

Yeah, but I think what they were referring to was Musburger basically drooling over her on national TV. Not only was that odd to hear from any commentator, he can basically be her grandfather.

Yeah, but I think what they were referring to was Musburger basically drooling over her on national TV. Not only was that odd to hear from any commentator, he can basically be her grandfather.

Nope, I don't see it that way. After watching the ugly destruction of Notre Dame he saw a very pretty lady and made comments about her. The comment about the youngsters throwing around the football in hopes of getting the attention of a pretty lady like her seemed like a grandfatherly comment to young boys everywhere... I think what the guy did simply give her a big compliment, I saw nothing at all dirty or degrading about what he said. He also probably just gave her the biggest (and cheapest) boost to her modeling career that she can ever get. The progressive media is making a mountain out of a mole hill and injuring a longtime commentator who, as I just mentioned above, just gave Webb the biggest boost in her career to date.

Ed

Nope, I don't see it that way. After watching the ugly destruction of Notre Dame he saw a very pretty lady and made comments about her. The comment about the youngsters throwing around the football in hopes of getting the attention of a pretty lady like her seemed like a grandfatherly comment to young boys everywhere... I think what the guy did simply give her a big compliment, I saw nothing at all dirty or degrading about what he said. He also probably just gave her the biggest (and cheapest) boost to her modeling career that she can ever get. The progressive media is making a mountain out of a mole hill and injuring a longtime commentator who, as I just mentioned above, just gave Webb the biggest boost in her career to date.

Ed

I agree, and lets face it There wasn't much of a game to talk about

I laughed when they made the remark about the youngsters getting out back and throwing the football with "pop". Ain't that the truth!!!! ;)

But, what I don't understand is what the article meant when it wrote "Meanwhile, most of America got a little grossed out." I dunno, but if I had a young son I'd be happy if he wanted me to toss the football with his mind on becoming a quarterback and getting a nice looking lady like that for a girlfriend. I certainly don't see something to get grossed out about. :confused:

Ed

Exactly. This is one of the problems with social media and information at the speed of light. One person says it, another retweets it, and before you know something completely innocent (and I do think it was completely innocent and absolutely reminded me of my grandfather commenting on "easter bunnies" at the beach one spring day) becomes blown out of proportion and ridiculous.

FWIW, I thought it all right before he said it. McCarron's mom is a serious MILF to boot. That dude IS surrounded by beautiful women.

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/aj-mccarron-mom-boobs-lead1.jpg

More than anything I thought it was a bit odd, but mostly goofy. I also don't see the harm in what he said. And its true, there wasn't much of a game to talk about.

Back