Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstrohs

Reaction score
I still haven't had a Black IPA (commercial or homebrew). Does anyone know a brewery that has a good example of this style so that I can see if this is something that I would like to brew? Thanks.

Uhhh,yeah Stone,Clown Shoes has a pretty good one.Sorry cant remember the exact name but check the websites. Oh, wait Stone sublimely self righetous, and Clown shoes Hoppy Feet Ipa. Excellent Black ipa's.

jonmohno said:
Uhhh,yeah Stone,Clown Shoes has a pretty good one.Sorry cant remember the exact name but check the websites. Oh, wait Stone sublimely self righetous, and Clown shoes Hoppy Feet Ipa. Excellent Black ipa's.

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous is technically an American Black Ale. But it tastes like a black IPA to me. Semantics be damned, it is one tasty brew. I tried it 3 weeks ago and I am hell bent on brewing it now.

When I was in Portland a few weeks ago, I had the Hop in the Dark from Deschutes. I really liked it. It makes me want to make one. Shouldn't be that hard to do..

Stone makes a good one. But don't let the term Black IPA fool you....It's such a varied style. For instance some people make a standard IPA and use black colorings to get the color black. It's not colored with emphasis on new malt characteristic. Black IPA will vary greatly.

If you do a homebrew version I'd suggest something like this.
11LBS Rhar Two Row
1/2LB Munich
1/2LB Biscuit Malt
1/2LB Carapils
1/2LB black patent
1.5LBS Rauch Malt
1.5lbs pale chocolate

Hop with high alpha domestic varieties...Do not dry hop unless you have the freshest wettest cones. Rauch malt accents the spice of heavily hopped beers quite well. Sometimes less is more, think of it as peppering a steak it adds spice.

I really do like Stones Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. Also I'd also agree on Deschutes Hop in the Dark!

0 dark 30
Seccession by HUB
Hop in the Dark
Widmer Pitch Black IPA
Back in Black

Those would be the ones that I would recommend.

I Agree with the poster who puts Stone's sublimely self righteous ale as a black IPA. I'd almost call it a black IIPA. Tasty beer though- on the west coast at least it's the archetype for BIPAs

I just had one 2 days ago in Omaha, NE at upstream brewery. It was called Black Ice IPA. I had the sampler of all their beers and that was the one I liked the best. It is a seasonal one so it might not be on there for to much longer.

Green Flash's Plead the Fifth is a great one. I don't see it much, not dure if they bottle it. I've only had it on tap at local places

I'm in North Carolina right now drinking the American Black Ale from Duck Rabbit (never seen it outside of this state, but then again, I don't live in the south). Excellent if you can find it.

Thanks for all the replies. Headed to Chicago for the Cards-Cubs series. Any breweries in Chicago that have a good one?

If you do decide to brew one, I am really pleased with the Northern Brewer Black IPA kit. It is delicious and all my friend's are loving it too.

If you're in Chicago I know Two Brother's brewery did a black IPA, call "Hop Juice Black." I haven't seen it commercially in awhile (check the website, said it was a 2009 only release), but perhaps check out the brewery. It's in the west suburbs-ish. About an hour by train, less than an hour or WAY more by car depending on what time you left, from wrigleyville.

Back