New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it goes

“Once it reaches fermentation temperature, hold the temperature steady until at least the last one-third to one-fourth of fermentation. At that time raise the temperature several degrees or more (4 to 10° F/2 to 5° C) over the course of a day or two.”

Excerpt From: White, Chris. “Yeast.” Brewers Association, 2010. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Awesome cheers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So after a hard days slog I had to crack one of my pilsners open for a try, only bottled on the 27/7 so need more time to settle... And carb up !!

Definitely getting that hoppy hit from the motueka hops (cheers Jason !!) looking forward to seeing what another few weeks does to this brew as I have a feeling it's going to be a good one.... Fingers crossed...
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407559742.929415.jpg

So after a hard days slog I had to crack one of my pilsners open for a try, only bottled on the 27/7 so need more time to settle... And carb up !!

Definitely getting that hoppy hit from the motueka hops (cheers Jason !!) looking forward to seeing what another few weeks does to this brew as I have a feeling it's going to be a good one.... Fingers crossed...
View attachment 216572

Awesome! Enjoying the fruits of your labour is what brewing is all about. Enjoy it :D
Once my pale ale is carbed we should have a tasting!

Looking at getting another pot, see a few stainless at $1 res on trademe, what size should I get, they range from 21 - 50 - 100 litres.....

Looking at getting another pot, see a few stainless at $1 res on trademe, what size should I get, they range from 21 - 50 - 100 litres.....

Depends on what you're wanting to do. The 2 I have are 30L and are fine for 20 - 25L batches

Just biab / extract brews as time will only allow for them at the moment

Hi,

I will be in Christchurch for most of October. I am looking for information on good beers to look for and also any information on Fly fishing in the area.

Awesome cheers mate

New 30 litre stainless purchased, got for 25 bucks so can't complain... Plan to put down a biab before the new addition arrives in a coupe of weeks.... Or should I just go all grain now !! So undecided !! I feel I have temp control sorted now.. Cleanliness sorted....a reasonably good grasp of the basics.... I def learn by doing :)

Will I have the time tho ! What a dilemma :)

New 30 litre stainless purchased, got for 25 bucks so can't complain... Plan to put down a biab before the new addition arrives in a coupe of weeks.... Or should I just go all grain now !! So undecided !! I feel I have temp control sorted now.. Cleanliness sorted....a reasonably good grasp of the basics.... I def learn by doing :)

Will I have the time tho ! What a dilemma :)

Go BIAB - might work easier for you than straight all grain, especially with time constraints.

Yeah, I don't see any benefit in changing from 30L BIAB to 3 pot setup. More to clean, less lifting but that's it. And I hit 80% efficiency on a 11% American barley wine on Saturday. I do a kind of sparge by pulling the bag and putting it in my plastic barrel ferment suspended with bulldog clips and then I heat/boil 2 lots of 5litres of water on the stove and pour it through. Works really well.
Additionally I do have a grain mill so the 80% won't be achievable on a store bought crush.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yeah, I don't see any benefit in changing from 30L BIAB to 3 pot setup. More to clean, less lifting but that's it. And I hit 80% efficiency on a 11% American barley wine on Saturday. I do a kind of sparge by pulling the bag and putting it in my plastic barrel ferment suspended with bulldog clips and then I heat/boil 2 lots of 5litres of water on the stove and pour it through. Works really well.
Additionally I do have a grain mill so the 80% won't be achievable on a store bought crush.

Wow, that pretty good for BIAB. Need to get me a Grain mill...however I am upgrading my system, to suit a pump and re-circulation.

I don't worry too much about efficiency because if I'm low after I pull the bag I sparge to bring the gravity up. But I have to say the crush from allgrain.co.nz is very good.
I'm looking for a mill too because the shipping costs for 10L batches is significant.

BIAB was awesome when I was in that stage of brewing. I was getting in the 80s for efficiency as well. But for me and my house straight AG works better with one person brewing :)

NZ brewer here. Live just outside of Hamilton. Building my own SS HERMS system. If anyone is keen i could post some build pics, im about 3/4 through at the moment.

Friday morning here. Got a brewer from Auckland coming down to pop his Beervana cherry :)

Yeah man, I'd be keen as to catch up and see where we go from there!

I wasn't gonna go to beervana this year, but a spare ticket for Friday morning means I am.

So might see people as well

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408146340.192274.jpg

Was expecting a little darker but I will repeat in a little bit and up the dark malts. Hops are great.

Close game !!! Nice to relax after a massive day !!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408187104.732785.jpg

Do any of the palmy crew want 750ml plastic bottles.

I finally have enough glass to keep up the rotation so they are going in the bin. Welcome to them if you want them!

My daughter saw it the other day, in the corner with the web developers. People coming out with extract - but can't tell from their site if it's a shop as well.

Public shop that is versus web shop. Best of luck to them, it's not as though we are under served in internet shops for beer stuff especially when you have nothing different to offer over the 20 other stores. Is palmy crying out for more local brew shops?

Public shop that is versus web shop. Best of luck to them, it's not as though we are under served in internet shops for beer stuff especially when you have nothing different to offer over the 20 other stores. Is palmy crying out for more local brew shops?

Yeah see your point man! Wish em the best of luck! Good on them for getting it started, but yeah in terms of online there is competition. On the other hand .......another shop that may have that one ingredient im looking for and cant get....sweet!

So it is a brick and mortar as well as online?

Yeah I saw the sign...tried to find a way in.

I could see in and see a lil stock etc, but couldn't get in ahaha.

If its webonly - its a shame. I can get stuff from wellington cheaper than 3km down the road :|

Yeah....my thoughts too!

And then there is the thought of stock turn over etc.

But it would be really nice to be able to have another spot in town that you can walk into! All power to em!

I do love me some Trappist triple! I caught a four pack of the same stuff at pack and save a while back for $9. ......they must have screwed up lol!

Dam that's some good buying :)

I can walk to simply brewing but I tend to shop online mostly. Antisocial i guess.

You must live close to me and Lunchie !!! I'm on Fitzroy !! But yeah their product lineup is pretty weak at the mo... Hope they do well so they can invest in some more stock.

Latest posts

Back