Auto Mechanics Here? Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trans could def be the problem here since dodge had alot of bad solenoids goin in them. But as far as compression call them back and ask what each cylinder was.. if cyl 2 was only 5-15psi less than other cylinders then thats really not a big deal. Heck on Jeep 4.0l's i have seen it where all of the cylinders are 20psi diff from each other.

I was a tech at ford dealerships for about 7 years, and if that were to happen at the 2 dealerships i worked at and they gave u a guarantee, then that would have been someone's a$$! Service writer would have been fired for sure and the tech wouldn's have been paid for the work done, unless it was all on the service writer. Sorry this happened to you, it really bothers me when i see this crap. I went to UTI in Texas and had a pashion for working on cars, but working in the industry destroyed my passion because of things like this. I hate to see someone get screwed like that.

The trans could def be the problem here since dodge had alot of bad solenoids goin in them. But as far as compression call them back and ask what each cylinder was.. if cyl 2 was only 5-15psi less than other cylinders then thats really not a big deal. Heck on Jeep 4.0l's i have seen it where all of the cylinders are 20psi diff from each other.

This is true. I had a solenoid replaced in mine. Fixed it for a min then started acting up again. Then I did the other stuff. Mine threw a code for the solenoid then after that was fixed it never threw a code even when it started acting up again

It could be a fuel pressure issue as well. You should have the non-dealer mechanic pull the fuel tank, replace the filter and pump.

Both shops said no, not a trans problem. It does it even in park...but I don't know the workings of a transmission if it and bog down an engine in park. I assume in park there is still a connection to the engine...forgot to neutral.

Well, still no word back from the owner or general manager (they are related, brothers I think) anyway I should have called them but you got to be ready to argue, These guys deal with dissatisfied customers all the time and got their routine down pat. I know I have dealt with owners of dealerships and they defend their people..not you.

But I did get to talk to a guy from Ram (Ram is a separate division from Dodge now) and it was like taking to a lawyer. He told me he represents me as a customer but also Ram as his company. He told me he is not a mechanic so he doesn't know engines or will give an opinion of a diagnosis. Say his job is to make sure service manager follows proper procedure. I asked him about the verbal guarantee I was given. He didn't seem to care about that and said if the guy denies it is his word against mine...no case. I questioned the ethics of it and he said they have no actual control of how a dealership handles that. What I said? Ram as a corporation doesn't care how this guy represents your company? He said yes they do, but his job is to make sure they follow proper procedure such as making sure they replicate a failure before doing work and get approval from customer before starting work. He also said he has no power to tell them what to do. Only suggest and try to persuade them to do good by me and keep me as a customer.

He was calling the service manager today to get his side of the story. I haven’t heard from him yet, said he will call, but from what he tells me he can do and from the story I am sure the service manager will give him I am not expecting anything.

Final bill $1200 and change. I haven't picked it up yet.

Just spoke to the guy from Ram who is handling my complaint. Says he was on phone with dealership for a good part of the afternoon. He now needs to speak with the dealership I bought the truck at (new). I didn't think at the time to ask why. I see no reason..unless he is tracking down my service record. But, I took it to another for that and then later did oil changes on my own and then to mom pop shops. Besides, what does that have to do with the service manager making me a verbal garantee only to not honor it?

If the dealership was willing to make good I would think they would have made an offer by now. Doesn't sound good to me.

I was a tech at ford dealerships for about 7 years, and if that were to happen at the 2 dealerships i worked at and they gave u a guarantee, then that would have been someone's a$$! Service writer would have been fired for sure and the tech wouldn's have been paid for the work done, unless it was all on the service writer. Sorry this happened to you, it really bothers me when i see this crap. I went to UTI in Texas and had a pashion for working on cars, but working in the industry destroyed my passion because of things like this. I hate to see someone get screwed like that.

Well, that wouldn't bother me he got fired but I think that is kind of harsh. Maybe written up, no raise and no bonus and they give me my money back would be fine for me. As for the mechanics..they do as they are told I would think.

Thanks for your concern. Bothers me too that I won't go there again for service or to purchase. Even if I got all my money back. What they are trying to do to me is wrong. Stand by your word.

Ok, for all you who are interested.
Ram guy called back again speaking like a lawyer, not a caring person. First said I did not provide proof of last oil check the dealer demanded. I flipped....I said this guy is lying, he never asked for that!!! He said I am sorry but I cannot more forward with this case until you prove proof. I asked what date did he say again?? (because I had one done not long ago and he said...."Oh, I am so sorry!!! I got mixed up with another case"
Oh great..so he then says based on his research the claim for the dealreship stands. I again questioned the verbal garantee and he said "Sir, that is not of my concern..etc. But they are charging you 1/2 price for labor, only 6 hrs for 12" I told him that was not good enought and he lost a customer and hung up!! Then I thought, the hourly charge is $99.XX hr and the bill was $1,200..bull. I called back an got answering machine but told him even that was wrong (got his ex).

So, I call dealership and ask to speak to owner or general manager (brothers) and got the general manager. He was very nice and understanding, pleasant change from an aragont bully know it all service manager. After a long discussion he agreed to speak to manager and techs and would test drive my truck.

He called back and made me offer.

1) split bill=$600 truck runs fine.
2) $3,500 and do whatever it takes to fix my truck 6mo garantee.
3) $2,500 for my truck trade in.

Says has a 2012 1500 for 18,000 minus my $2,500 trade.

Going there tomorrow to look at trade truck..only thing is short bed, mine is 8' and I want that and I have toolbox (dual sattle bags) and tonto cover..but that has seen it's days..plus bed liner.

I am leaning toward the new truck and trade in.

What do you think??

I think never call Ram/Dodge corporate for help..call the owner!!!

Hmm.... new trucks are nice...

Is that 2WD?? Still that sound like a decent price. Which motor does it have?

Yep...and full waranty.

Gotta be 2wd...you be crazy homer to think 4wd 2012 for 18,00 - trade..:D

But tool box, soft cover cost me about 2k back then...gona miss em plus the 8' bed for my big junk:D

Don't know, figure I go see tomorrow..me not like I take the truck for $6,000 I think. Got to be more stuff ready to go and some stuff I already know not right.. like power windows slow.

jgln said:
Ok, for all you who are interested.
Ram guy called back again speaking like a lawyer, not a caring person. First said I did not provide proof of last oil check the dealer demanded. I flipped....I said this guy is lying, he never asked for that!!! He said I am sorry but I cannot more forward with this case until you prove proof. I asked what date did he say again?? (because I had one done not long ago and he said...."Oh, I am so sorry!!! I got mixed up with another case"
Oh great..so he then says based on his research the claim for the dealreship stands. I again questioned the verbal garantee and he said "Sir, that is not of my concern..etc. But they are charging you 1/2 price for labor, only 6 hrs for 12" I told him that was not good enought and he lost a customer and hung up!! Then I thought, the hourly charge is $99.XX hr and the bill was $1,200..bull. I called back an got answering machine but told him even that was wrong (got his ex).

So, I call dealership and ask to speak to owner or general manager (brothers) and got the general manager. He was very nice and understanding, pleasant change from an aragont bully know it all service manager. After a long discussion he agreed to speak to manager and techs and would test drive my truck.

Says has a 2012 1500 for 18,000 minus my $2,500 trade.

Going there tomorrow to look at trade truck..only thing is short bed, mine is 8' and I want that and I have toolbox (dual sattle bags) and tonto cover..but that has seen it's days..plus bed liner.

I am leaning toward the new truck and trade in.

What do you think??

I think never call Ram/Dodge corporate for help..call the owner!!!

After all this, you're going to buy a car from them?

After all this, you're going to buy a car from them?

Possibly...just to reduce my loss. I mean $2,500 is not a bad trade in considering the condition. It has a few other annoying cosmetic issues. I am looking at other dealers too but I am dealing with the owner now not floor salesman. I might be able to talk him into a better deal.

But from here on out only take it there for under warranty stuff, may take to another dealer even then so I don't have to look at that service manager again.

Well, met with the owner last Saturday morning. I first made sure my truck ran ok, it ran fine. I then looked at the truck he wanted to show me. Stripped down 6cyc with tiny bed no liner. I didn't like it. I again stated my dissatisfaction having to pay to get my truck back based on the guarantee given to me but not held and he said it was my word against the service manager (so he was denying it). He wasn't budging so I paid the $600 and got my truck back. I don't know what I will do about that.

Anyway, I looked at Chevy and Ford and they were all more expensive and I like the look of Dodge trucks and cars so I went to a couple dealerships and wound up buying a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 8' bed, regular cab, black. I looked for a leftover 2011 but here were only one or two and expensive. I got $2,200 trade for my truck and few thousand knocked off on top of that. There is another Dodge dealership around me I will be taking the truck to for warranty service, after that to a local shop.

I have heard horror stories from Ford and Chevy owners also so....

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

You know, I was so ready to give Dodge my money again (I still have my 2000 dakota) but now I come to find you can't get them with a manual trans. WTF is the world coming to when you can't get a god damned pickup truck with a stick shift?

What is crazy is I drove that truck 70+ miles that day looking for a new truck and not a single hickup. RPM needle as steady as could be. Has to be something else wrong with that truck than a bad engine.

You know, I was so ready to give Dodge my money again (I still have my 2000 dakota) but now I come to find you can't get them with a manual trans. WTF is the world coming to when you can't get a god damned pickup truck with a stick shift?

Last I heard you can get them with a stick but you gotta buy a commercial/work truck and it's a special order and stripped down too.

A guy who used to work here was complaining about it, so he dropped a commercial tranny in his truck and modified it to accept it. The price of the stripped down work truck was not bad, but he liked his options better. The custom fit tranny was also much cheaper since it was used.

I couldn't believe all of the things he had to do to get it to mate up and fit the truck.

Personally, I'd go for option 1. Why go for a new truck through a dealership that has treated you like this? Of course they are going to try to persuade you to do option 3 because that is their biggest money maker. Think of it this way, they then have your truck to sell or auction and then also get you locked into a new sale. Bite the bullet and pay the $600. I don't blame you for wanting a new truck, and I would probably be looking for one soon in your position, but don't buy another truck from them, trade it in at another dealership.

EDIT: I have heard horror stories from Ford and Chevy owners also so....

I bought a used GMC last year from a large GM dealer in the area and in less than 6 months its been in the shop 4 times for very expensive repairs--thankfully I decided to fall for their warranty package. I normally think those are a scam, but I bought the truck in the middle of the summer knowing I wouldn't get a chance to really try out the 4-wheel drive until it snowed, and the cost of repairing that alone would have been more expensive than the warranty package they were offering...its paid for itself. I've had it in twice for issues with the HVAC system where the fans in the dashboard just stopped working, or the switch to change it from vents to defrost stopped functioning. Supposedly those two repairs would have cost me $1400 without the warranty. Then I had to replace the steering shaft, a control arm, and a few other parts which without the warranty would have cost $900, and just 2 weeks ago I had to replace the water pump because we lost heat in the truck at the best time possible--going down the highway in the middle of an ice storm. That would have been a $700 repair. I have the warranty for another 2 years or 22,000 miles...I am terrified to know what its going to cost me to keep that truck after it runs out.

Personally, I'd go for option 1. Why go for a new truck through a dealership that has treated you like this? Of course they are going to try to persuade you to do option 3 because that is their biggest money maker. Think of it this way, they then have your truck to sell or auction and then also get you locked into a new sale. Bite the bullet and pay the $600. I don't blame you for wanting a new truck, and I would probably be looking for one soon in your position, but don't buy another truck from them, trade it in at another dealership.

EDIT: I have heard horror stories from Ford and Chevy owners also so....

I bought a used GMC last year from a large GM dealer in the area and in less than 6 months its been in the shop 4 times for very expensive repairs--thankfully I decided to fall for their warranty package. I normally think those are a scam, but I bought the truck in the middle of the summer knowing I wouldn't get a chance to really try out the 4-wheel drive until it snowed, and the cost of repairing that alone would have been more expensive than the warranty package they were offering...its paid for itself. I've had it in twice for issues with the HVAC system where the fans in the dashboard just stopped working, or the switch to change it from vents to defrost stopped functioning. Supposedly those two repairs would have cost me $1400 without the warranty. Then I had to replace the steering shaft, a control arm, and a few other parts which without the warranty would have cost $900, and just 2 weeks ago I had to replace the water pump because we lost heat in the truck at the best time possible--going down the highway in the middle of an ice storm. That would have been a $700 repair. I have the warranty for another 2 years or 22,000 miles...I am terrified to know what its going to cost me to keep that truck after it runs out.

This is why I decided to go new. Used means used....you never know why someone traded it in or what problems they had. That and used means there is already wear and tear on simple things like that switch for the fans you mentioned. All kind of little things were wearing down on my old truck, not enough for me to get rid of it, but annoying. When I had this intermittent engine issue that was enough for me.

Especially with trucks and your average cars. A guy here at work buys used BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, etc about a year old or so which to me makes sense. My thinking is people who buy high end cars new usually are well off financially. I'm thinking a doctor, lawyer, company owner, company VP/director, high end realtor, etc. people who want the best, in best condition, new, flashy either because they like that or they have a need to impress due to their position. Just a hunch, but I think it more likely to be the case with those cars than a pickup truck.

I buy brand new trucks (not real often) I usually go 5-7 years. Nearly new cars every 2-3 years. They have less than 20k on the ones I buy and usually only a year or so old.

I have had good luck this way, and usually the issues people complain about don't bother me too much.
Most are warranty issues with the cars, and the trucks, knock on wood have held together for the most part. I do regular maintenance myself, I have a shop with a carlift (oil changes and easy fixes) and that is crucial to the lifespan of any vehicle. I can't do much of the electronic computer controlled stuff though, those are stealer hijack issues.

Back