Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrem1968

Reaction score
Hello All, First post and first question.

I am in my third day of primary fermentation of a Belgium Strong Ale. Using WPL 500 Trappist Yeast, Partial Mash (modeling Russian River Damnation) and achieved a O.G. of 1.082. I propogated the yeast for > 24 hours. When I pitched the yeast fermentation began in 1.5 hours. Active fermentation in 6 hours that lasted through the second day and still having some fermenation appear in the gas lock.

Now for the question. I am keeping the Primary Fermenter in the garage with the ambient temp at 55 - 60 degrees. The thermometer on the Primary has not fallen below the 78 degrees mark until today when it finally registered 76 degrees. Is this ok? normal? Is this fermenter running too hot? This was unexpected. Thanks for your time and comments.

Like BigB says...for a Belgian it should be fine...I'm just jealous that your garage is in the 55-60 range!! Friggin cold here.

Back