Nothing on the output side of my SSR????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krelja

Reaction score
I'm trying to finish up my RIMS brewery and I'm running into problems getting the element to fire up on my RIMS tube. I'm running it off a Auber SYL-2362 PID. I get 6.5v DC coming from the PID to the SSR and no matter what setting it's on I can't get any power at the output side of the pid. Even if there is nothing hooked up to the output there should still be voltage there correct. The wiring that is hooked up to the element is black on one terminal and white on the other and the green is grounded to my frame. Thanks in advance and if you need more info let me know I want to be done for now

betterwiring.jpg

Here's what I have so far. I also have an outlet that the pump is run through on the same switch setup and that's it for now

I get 6.5v DC coming from the PID to the SSR and no matter what setting it's on I can't get any power at the output side of the pid.
I am assuming you mean SSR.
Based on your drawing do the following:
Remove the red wire from your SSR output side and connect to the red terminal block.
Install a wire from your black terminal block (Hot) to the SSR.
Remember the SS functions as a switch and requires hot on one side.
Install a fuse in case the SSR fails.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

That makes sense now. I'm going to try and run home during lunch and rewire the inside. I was hoping to get this thing working for a birthday brew tomorow. And you were right ClaudiusB I meant I was getting the 6.5 volts on the input side and nothing on the output side of the SSR. I'll keep it updated

You have no AC power going to your SSR to switch. Wire it like this:

betterwiring.jpg

Simple mistake, Ive made it right there with you though. When I was wiring up my kegerator SSR I would test it and the compressor just wouldnt turn on, I was pissed.

Until I realized the damn thing is a switch and I needed to run one of the same hot lines through it so it could switch on and off.

Simple mistake IMO.

It makes me feel dumb after actually seeing it as it should be out in front of me. I guess I strayed from the KISS method and went straight to my mind racing like crazy. I'm heading home to rewire and see what happens. It also makes sense to me now what exactly the SSR does and that's real simple too yet I looked past it. Thanks again guys and hopefully I'll have this thing running for a Birthday brew, it's going to be a MO Sorachi Ace smash and I'm sure I'm going to have more questions after that :rockin:

Worked like a charm. Makes me see that I need a little more separation between my element and my thermocoupler. Time to finish the wort chiller and keep my fingers crossed

Back