Review of Bard's Gold Sorghum Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebiewer

Reaction score
Have any of you tried this?

One hundred percent gluten free..

I thought it was interesting. I am pretty honest in my reviews, if I don't like it, I tell you. I didn't like this beer, but I can't say no to it altogether either. I think it allows people who can't enjoy awesome flavors like us the ability to at least drink a cold brew.

Anyway, check out the video if you want to hear more detail.

Review of Bard's Gold Sorghum Beer

You mean this one?
Gluten_Free_009.JPG

I actually had a case special ordered from a distributor in my area last week and at about $10/6-pack it's at the upper range for gluten free beers...though I guess that's about right when compared to New Grist and Redbridge prices around me.

Bard's Gold is a lager I do believe which is why I think some of the flavors come through so cleanly. But I can still taste the sorghum sweetness that I taste in Redbridge. Though it is much much better than New Grist. I'm glad I can reuse these bottles and that the label comes off so easily but I don't know if I'd buy another case of it...I prefer my own GF brews to this.

I would like to get my hands on their Dragon's Gold though...unless its the same beer under a different package...

Yeap, that is the one.

I haven't had the opportunity to try another other brands of gluten free beer. To be honest, knowing what this tastes like will probably steer me away from trying another one, but my curiosity will probably get the best of me and I'll give them a try anyway.

I'm assuming you brew your own gluten free beers? I haven't had any experience with that, what is the main difference? Is it just ingredients or do you have to treat those ingredients differently in any way?

Thanks for the comment!

Well- Sorghum or brown rice syrup is the main source of my fermentables and if I ever get around to using my home malted grains (since you can't commercially buy gluten free malted grains) I'd have to do a decoction. Aside from substituting those for regular malt extract and making my own specialty grains everything else is the same. Though I can't use just any yeast.

So...the main difference- I don't use barley, oats that aren't gluten free, rye, etc...

Oh, and I don't think mine suck as bad as the commercial gluten free beers

Back