Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickout

Reaction score
Just read an article in the Chicago Tribune about this yesterday. Sounds like it might be worth trying. I thought someone here would be interested too.

Here's a link to it on Goose Island's website.

I bought a four-pack of 12 oz'ers a couple of years ago, and was greatly impressed. It is the only beer that I've ever had that will stand up to a good cigar! I now have a bomber aging in the "beer cellar" (a shelf under my workbench/brewery table).

I read that article yesterday, and didn't realize that they've been making this as long as they have! Now I'm waiting semi-patiently for their others varieties of this to come out!!! :mug:

I still have a few bottles of the '08 batch left from the few packs I bought. Huge flavors in the Bourbon County Stout.

Goose Island's special releases are all fairly good. I'm fond of Matilda.

According to the calendar, the coffee comes out in March, Vanilla in October, and Rare Bourbon in November. Also, there's something called Night Stalker coming out in March. Wonder what that is?

*edit*

Just found this:

Night Stalker, as an homage to the Chicago-based television show. Night Stalker is a jet black, dry hopped Imperial Stout, extremely rich and full flavored with malt and chocolate followed by a bright dry hopped aroma. It is the same base as our Bourbon County Stout, but instead of aging in Bourbon barrels, we dry hop it like madmen.

Night Stalker Stats:

ABV - 11.7%
IBU's - 60
Color - 100
Aroma Hops -Mt. Hood & Simcoe
Malts - 2-Row, Munich, Chocolate, C-60, Roast Barley, Debittered Black

I buy a 4 pack every year. It's an excellent beer. Ages very well too. The 2009 batch is exceptionally good IMO.

I still have a few bottles of the '08 batch left from the few packs I bought. Huge flavors in the Bourbon County Stout.

Goose Island's special releases are all fairly good. I'm fond of Matilda.

Matilda, on tap, at Goose, is absolutely fantastic. Every time I try to get it elsewhere, its not as good.

Picked up a 22 oz. bottle yesterday at Binny's $12.99. I think I'm going to let it sit till this Summer when I can enjoy it with a good cigar.

I am a huge fan of this beer and the fact that the first version came out in 1992 is very impressive. I think most people in this country thought dos equis was an xrated movie at that time. One thing that I find most impressive about this beer is that the flavor is so consistent throughout the entire beer. Most beers will hit you with nice flavor the first few sips and then die down. Not this beer. The first sip is as good as the last!

gotta be a burbon fan on this one, it dominates. It's a sipper for sure but one of the most impressive beers I've ever had. Got the last 3 years cellaring as we speak.:mug:

I got to try this beer for the first time about a month ago when a relative bought me a 4-pack as a birthday present. It was the stronger 13% version.

I spent about 2 hours enjoying this beer, it was quite an experience.

I'm trying really hard to age the other 3 and open one each year... I'll probably just go buy a couple more bottles and have them on hand to drink.

I had a bottle of 2009, tasted like a cup of sugar was dumped in it. It was rough to choke down so much sweetness.

The other day I had it on tap and it was much better.

I had some 2008 the other day as well and it was fantastic. Soo good. I'm going to buy a 4 pack or more and cellar.

Reviving an old thread, but I just bought 16 22oz bombers of night stalker (2011) for $2.99 a piece. Wow, what a deal, and the bottles are great for bottling homebrew too!

Back