Cleaning Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big tub of water and oxyclean. Just let them sit under the solution for a couple hours. Any goop on the inside will be loose and most labels will just peel off and a little work with a sponge/scrubby will get the remnants off. I use a vinator with starsan to sanitize.

First read this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

You do not need to get rid of the labels. I prefer too, as this is my beer I'm serving, not someone elses.

I soak the bottles in oxiclean for an hour to overnight. Most labels lift off fairly easily. My new favorite toy is a fermtech bottle washer for rinsing them out. Don't know how I lived without it! I then store mine and sanitize right before I need them. I find it helps to wash everything ahead of time. Washing and bottling on the same day can be a drag if you are doing 10 gallon batches!

Oxy clean is the best (sodium percarbonate/ sodium carbonate). After drinking I rinse the bottles then soak them in the oxy clean and warm water. The labels come right off. I leave them till the next day and all the labels float to the top. Then I rinse them with a bottle rinser. Put them on the bottle tree let them dry and pack them away until use.

I wash them out really well when I empty them. Then I box them up until bottling day.

On bottling day I run them through the dishwasher with no soap, just set the heat to high and let them rinse out and heat up. Once they cool down I toss them in a bucket of starsan and then let them air dry right before bottling.

I use my brewpot. Fill with hot water / oxyclean and stand the bottles upright in it. You'd be amazed at how many you can fit in one. I just let them sit overnight since they're in the pot it's not taking up sink space (so SWMBO is happy). Then after rinsing I put them upside down in a box (if they're right side up then I know they haven't been cleaned). On bottling day I use this to sanitize

Last edited by a moderator:
Back