Any Founder's Porter clone recipes or info?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of the AHS all grain kit I brewed in September. It's fantastic (first pour in a month). Definitely some chocolate, roasty and hop bitterness but a hint of caramel and almost medium body balance it. I'm surprised at how rich and creamy it is given the 150F mash temp, must be the MO.

image-2456954080.jpg

I wanted to post to say thanks to everyone's notes/advice til now on this recipe. I brewed this recipe yesterday, and will stop back to let people know how it turned out.

I did have to go with Hallertau instead of Crystal as my local homebrew store just happened to be out of Crystal, but I'm sure it'll work out fine!

Found it:

We use a large percentage of specialty grains in this one… try about 10% Chocolate Malt, 7% Munich, 5% Carapils, and 3% Crystal Dark. I also throw in a little bit of Black Malt for a slightly burnt character. Mash in around 155 degrees and target an OG between 17 and 18 Plato. We use Nugget hops for bittering and Willamette and Crystal for flavor/finishing hops, targeting 45 IBUs. Ferment with an American yeast and it should terminate between 5 and 6 Plato, leaving you with 6.5% ABV and a full bodied robust Porter. Good luck, hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jeremy Kosmicki
Head Brewer
FBC

Made this last night, with Golden Promise as the base and used WLP007, because I prefer it to Cal Ale yeast.

Bubbling away this morning, cant wait to get this one on tap. Thanks for sharing.

Can anyone give me a rough idea the cost of this in a partial mash?

Is the AHS kit over priced?

Well that hopville link is also my recipe. ;) I love this beer. I've brewed it three times with slight variations on the theme. Standard chocolate malt is best, and closest to the Founder's recipe. I just subbed the Crystal out of necessity that first batch, and it wasn't a significant flavor impact. For yeast I think that WLP001 Cal Ale gets closest to a clone, but I really like the WLP002 English ale character with it too.

I can tell you that I also e-mailed the brewer, and I actually took my percentages from his response. The exact malts weren't specified to the color or supplier, but he gave me a lot to work with.

Let me know how it turns out. This one is in my regular home rotation now.

Where are you getting 127*L for standard? My standard chocolate American malt is 350, and even pale chocolate is more than 127.

Now I'm not sure how much to add.... I bought 3 lbs of standard 350*L (enough for 15 gallons). Based on some other recipes I've found, it looks like 1.x lbs of standard at 350 is correct, so I think your color might be off on that.

Forgot I even posted this. I made a great clone, thanks to a an awesome response from Founder's when I e-mailed them for help. Here's my recipe for 5 gallons finished beer:

9.5 lbs 2 Row
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich
10 oz Carapils
6 oz Crystal 120 L
4 oz Black Patent

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
75 Minute Boil

Hops:
60 min - 0.75 oz Nugget (12.2%)
20 min - 0.75 oz Hallertau (4.5%) and 0.75 Willamette (4.9%)
Flameout - 0.25 oz Hallertau and 0.25 oz Willamette

For yeast, I used WLP001.

I intentionally made a final beer was a bit drier and thinner than Founder's, but the aroma and flavor were dead on. It was one of my best beers. I will definitely make it again, but I think I'll switch the base malt for Marris Otter next time and mash a couple of degrees higher. The also use Crystal hops, not Hallertau, but that was a substitution by necessity that turned out just fine. The hop flavor is not that predominant with all the malt flavors taking over.

Enjoy!

I brewed this using Wyeast 1056. My LHBS had all of hops called for so no substitutions there. I emailed Founders for carbonation level. They carb their Porter to 2.4 vols. I carbonated to about 2.4 in the keg and just poured a glass tonight. I didn't have any Founders Porter for a blind taste test, but I have had the real deal many times. This recipe is spot on! Thank you to for sharing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

New to the boards. Just wanted to say thanks for this awesome recipe. I brewed the extract version of the recipe a few weeks back. Bottled it last night and it was amazing even flat and at room temperature. Can't wait to see what it's like in a couple weeks.

Cheers

Forgot I even posted this. I made a great clone, thanks to a an awesome response from Founder's when I e-mailed them for help. Here's my recipe for 5 gallons finished beer:

9.5 lbs 2 Row
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich
10 oz Carapils
6 oz Crystal 120 L
4 oz Black Patent

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
75 Minute Boil

Hops:
60 min - 0.75 oz Nugget (12.2%)
20 min - 0.75 oz Hallertau (4.5%) and 0.75 Willamette (4.9%)
Flameout - 0.25 oz Hallertau and 0.25 oz Willamette

For yeast, I used WLP001.

!

Brewed this yesterday substituting Maris Otter for the 2-row and chose the Mangrove Jack Workhorse to do the dirty work. Looking forward to this in a month or so.

I did the same thing last winter. Maris Otter makes a wonderful rich flavor and mouthfeel. (I've made this recipe with 2-row in the past and definitely prefer the MO.) If you want a really killer change, use WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 as the yeast.

I did the same thing last winter. Maris Otter makes a wonderful rich flavor and mouthfeel. (I've made this recipe with 2-row in the past and definitely prefer the MO.) If you want a really killer change, use WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 as the yeast.

Does changing to Wyeast 1968 really make a good difference? Do you think using s-04 would give similar change?

I bet that'd be great. The 002 is a low attenuator and left the perfect amount of sweetness behind. 04 has similar attenuation.

I'm brewing this for the third time this Sunday. The first time I used wlp001, mashed at 154.5F, and even though I was high on the OG (1.076) and low on the FG (1.017) it was a fantastic porter! The second time I used Pacman yeast, mashed at 157.5F, OG 1.071 and FG 1.018, and did not care for this beer. It was completely different from the wlp001.

Now for my dilemma: I know I used Crisp malt, but I do not know if I used Crisp PALE Chocolate malt (350-450L) or Crisp Chocolate malt (650-700L) for the wlp001! I did use the 650-700L malt for the Pacman version.

Does anyone have any experience brewing this beer with crisp chocolate (650-700L) malt? Or crisp's pale chocolate?

With 002/1968, at which temp did you mash? What was your OG and FG? I was thinking about trying Fuller's yeast with this beer:mug:

I have 5 gallons of this going right now with 1968 and 5 with 1056. I'm gonna dryhop the 1968 with a pound of roasted coconut

FG was around 1.020, which is usually considered high, but Ive made this recipe many many times and I like this recipe when it has a good deal of sweetness and a really rich mouthfeel. I mashed at 155, so if you want the FG a little lower, I'd try 150.

What was you OG, FG and mash temp for the 1968 fuller's yeast?

1.065 and 1.020. Mash temp 153-154. Interestingly, the other half I used 1056 and only got down to 1.018+. Ive brewed this many times before with S-05 and always hit 1.017, maybe 1.016 once. I always go for 1.065 of rather than 1.07

@JonM and doublehaul: Thank you for the info on your fuller's yeast batches! I will definitely give this yeast a try on the next batch.

As for the latest batch, brewed 10/18/15, I ended up using 1.5lb (10.2%) of Crisp Chocolate malt (~675L) instead of their pale chocolate. I think this was the right decision but it is still too early to tell; I racked to keg 4 days ago.

Third time is the charm as I nailed my specific gravity! :rockin: OG 1.072, FG 1.022, mashed at 157F. Fermented with 1056 yeast at 66-67F with the probe bubble wrapped to the side of the carboy.

I have noticed this recipe benefits from a long sit. I usually tap it 3ish months from brewday.

brewerd up a batch of this last night, i made a few changes tho i subbed black malt for roast to give it more of a stout feel and lowered tho IBUs to make it sweeter and shot for an OG of 1.064, im hopping for a cross between founders porter and a milk stout

Anyone tried adding a little roasted barley to this? I was thinking maybe .25-.5 lbs to add a little more coffee/roast flavor, or would it be too much along with the black patent?

Back